Bees in Schools

My son is very keen and his primary school is keen to put several hives at his school. He needs to prepare a presentation to the board of trustees. I’m sure others have had succes doing this so any advise, info, Heath and safety requirementsetc or ideas for sponsorship please. I will be looking after the hives put hoping the seniors will take turns to open hive, build hiveware etc. Thanks

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mine’s a full primary. We only have three suits at school so far as that is the expensive part for multiple keepers / observers.    The enviro budget paid for the school hive hardware and I

Thats my plan too. They don't need to be expert beekeepers. But an appreciation of AFB and varroa control and maybe a look at queen rearing will do. The nature of Agriculture in High Schools is c

I had to purchase 2 epipens to keep on site. In case we used one and then had another sting while we were waiting for a replacement. Hives need to be securely tied down. Schools are at risk to a

I had to purchase 2 epipens to keep on site. In case we used one and then had another sting while we were waiting for a replacement.

Hives need to be securely tied down. Schools are at risk to a lot of vandalism as you know. Hive straps to stop kids playing silly ######s and knocking them over. Fenced off to restrict access would also be useful. Mine are on the school farm behind two locked gates. Boss is a beekeeper so that helps.

• Like 1

I manage a couple on my kids school (suburban). It is embraced by the school because it is an ‘Enviro’ school and has lots of environmental incentives going on. All with the support of the community/ parents. 

I have a few beekeeping ‘students’, but realistically the don’t manage the hives,  just pull a few frames, inspect and generally get buzzed by the experience. My philosophy has changed over time from having a few serious student to giving lots the opportunity to hold a frame of live bees and brood. More parent support his way too. 

• Like 1

Thats my plan too. They don't need to be expert beekeepers. But an appreciation of AFB and varroa control and maybe a look at queen rearing will do.

The nature of Agriculture in High Schools is changing rapidly to meet industry requirements. There has been a big push in recent years to introduce Agribusiness and Agriscience, bankrolled in a large part by the industry. At my school I am leaning more towards the Agriscience line due to the facilities we have, so we are doing new units on Food Science, looking at components, additives, changes during processing/ripening/fermentation etc.

Currently we rear bobby calves, Hylines, Meat chooks. We incubate heritage breed chooks and rear them. We also do a lot of plant propagation. The harvest from my orchard is used by the catering suite to make apple jelly. 

If I can get the kids to handle some hives, and get an intro to the industry, that may be useful. potentially I could get some doing some grafting. Maybe sell a nuc or two (for fundraising purposes). They will have better eyesight than me, that is for sure. I am linking the beekeeping to the new year 12 Agribusiness topic - Conduct an inquiry into the use of organisms to meet future needs. They can research the beekeeping in NZ, products and potential products. Manuka honey or live bee exports for example. 

It doesn't hurt kids to have some appreciation of where their food comes from.

• Like 3

I had thought one epipen but I do see the need for two.

Hives would be in a fenced off area where the sewage disposal system is so no kids access that area. Hopefully thief wise it should be ok as anywhere as it’s a country school and not visible from the road.

CHCHPaul - How many kids do you have around a hive at once, how many bee suits does your school have and how did you fund the set up. This is a primary school and enviro school also so have support but the more kids that can be involved the greater support and acceptance we will have.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Sonbee said:

- How many kids do you have around a hive at once, how many bee suits does your school have and how did you fund the set up

Mine’s a full primary. We only have three suits at school so far as that is the expensive part for multiple keepers / observers. 

The enviro budget paid for the school hive hardware and I put a second hive next to it of my own (mostly for success insurance... or is that failure?). Then I caught two swarms to get them going. I fluff around trying to raise queens so can requeen them for free. It’s a really great school so I am happy to help make things like this happen. I landscaped the bee area when we were donated the use of a digger for a day, donated tonnes of soil, plants and trees...

• Like 4

CHCHPaul would it be possible to message me your school so our Board of Trustees could contact yours if they have any questions or concerns that they would like to ask a school that’s successfully working with a hive.

I would be hoping to get it set up in spring. I will do my splits and put two at school. That way have failure insurance and depending how often they want to open it we can alternate opening them. I would think initially lots of kids will want to take a look. I play with queens so can sort that side of things and have a small extraction set up. Always have a few stripes left over from treatments so can sort that side of things also. Hopefully that’s covering most things. Thanks for your advise.