John T

Question How to prevent molten wax from splitting/cracking?

Question

I have been melting wax and putting them into moulds or pots but unfortunately when the wax sets, it splits or cracks at the surface. See the pic below. How do I prevent this from happening? I'd like to have a smooth top surface.

I note in the "Practical Bee..." book it says that if 'wax cools rapidly the blocks will crack.'  I have been doing this on warm/hot days so not sure what the solution is, apart from a warm-turned-off oven which I don't think is ideal.

Thanks.

006.jpg

12 answers to this question

i havn't tried it, but if its a cooling issue then a warm oven or insulation. 

Possibly wax is also too hot when poured. I've made a few candles and if the wax is too hot they crack.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I melt all my wax in a solar melter which gets seriously hot and my wax blocks never crack . 

The trick ? I melt it into water which is probably hot and may cool slowly . 

Possibly not that helpful in your situation though 

Dave Cushmans webpage has a good section on wax- including one on how to make a good block of wax for competition. Hope your definitive answer is there. I do the same as @M4tt and dont get cracks unless its a very deep block and I take it out of the melter while still liquid.  Cool slower I guess.

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/hiveproducts.html

• Like 1

The hotter your wax is the more it will shrink as it cools. It will cool quicker on the outside of a mould than the inside too. If you warm your mould first that will help. A warm water bath will help it cool more evenly too 

• Good Info 2

We tried to seal preserves but the wax pulled away from glass edge whether the contents were cool warm or hot. Failed experiment. 0P0

When pouring wax for candles or blocks it should be just above melting point and ideally just starting to form a skin on top.

• Thanks 1

I'm making beeswax/coconut oil candles (in glass containers) and having the same issue. I'm going to try cooling them in a warm water bath. But this will not stop them from cracking after the have been lit and then blown out - customers are not going to put them in a water bath every time they blow them out. So I am currently stumped as both beeswax and coconut oil are known to crack as they cool. 

@John T did you end up solving your problem? 

10 minutes ago, Fitzie said:

@John T did you end up solving your problem? 

Apologies, I keep meaning to give an update. Yes, I followed the advice given above - I let the wax cool, until a skin formed on the surface. No more cracks on the surface.

However, one minor issue is that with the wax starting to cool some wax remained in the pot - ie it wasn't fluid enough to pour it all out. But that's not a biggie, as it it can be re-melted again. I guess it's just a matter of melting more wax than you need, to allow for this.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, John T said:

Apologies, I keep meaning to give an update. Yes, I followed the advice given above - I let the wax cool, until a skin formed on the surface. No more cracks on the surface.

However, one minor issue is that with the wax starting to cool some wax remained in the pot - ie it wasn't fluid enough to pour it all out. But that's not a biggie, as it it can be re-melted again. I guess it's just a matter of melting more wax than you need, to allow for this.

Ah I see! So you didn't attempt to control the temperature as the wax in the mold cooled? i.e. letting them cool near a heater or something? Glad it worked out :) 

No, I didn't control the temperature. I just waited and watched...It was a bit of a cool day so that may have helped.