Markypoo

Alternative heating for DIY queen incubators.

I was having a read about queen cell incubators just wondering if you guys have seen these.

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/48-watt-incukit-dc.html

I have them in my chook incubator. They are a heating unit and a fan, with a proportional thermostat. So the temperature is kept very stable. You can adjust them to whatever temperature you like. They come preset at 37.5C but the website says you can adjust them lower.

They also run on 12V DC so you could make a portable transporter. 

You can then set it into any container you want. I used the polystryene underfloor insulation sheets to make an incubator.

I am thinking that I would block the air flow from going directly onto the queen cells to stop them drying out too much. 

Anybody used them?

Looks interesting. Good idea to not have the warm air directed at the cells. Another thing to add to the incubator is a wet sponge or source of water for the required humidity.

15 minutes ago, dansar said:

Looks interesting. Good idea to not have the warm air directed at the cells. Another thing to add to the incubator is a wet sponge or source of water for the required humidity.

A glass jar of water with a rag hanging out usually keeps it around 40% humidity at 37.5C for chicken eggs. Do queen cells need a specific level?

Yep around the 40% RH is OK.

I have used a hot water bottle in a polybin with good success

Edited by Happyjack
spelling

Well then, I have a ready made queen cell incubator big enough to hold 10 frames of queen cells then!

I’m still fairly new to this queen cell raising gig... are you talking about taking the cells out of the cell raiser as soo as they are capped and incubating the rest of the way?

The old boy made me a queencell carrier using resisters as the heat source-i think it had a total build cost of around 50 bucks.

• Like 1