Andywang

Organic beekeepers required

13 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

We keep some for a couple of years and get the mobile butcher in. 

Wooses. When I was a lad we dug a big hole and put 2 fence posts across it. We then rolled the just shot cattlebeast onto them and butchered it there, dropping the guts into the hole.

2 hours ago, jamesc said:

We got free range  organic chickens around home here . They had a major population explosion this year, but what with the dogs and the trucks not many will make it into the pot

Same, but the ferrets and  wild cats get through quite a few of ours. No dogs though.

3 hours ago, Markypoo said:

This is plain wrong. Hormones have never been used in NZ. You don't need to . The broiler chickens grow so darn fast there would be no point anyway. They get to slaughter size in 7-8 weeks without hormone treatment. I did it with my students at school last year. Hormones would not speed the process up and would be an additional cost, reducing the slim profit margin further. 

Its antibiotics that are the key to fast growth in birds
Birds are prone to nutrient stealing pathogens and if you can control the Pathogens then more food ends up as mucsle 

Typically the main culprit is Coccidia

Edited by Philbee

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

Its antibiotics that are the key to fast growth in birds
Birds are prone to nutrient stealing pathogens and if you can control the Pathogens then more food ends up as mucsle 

Typically the main culprit is Coccidia

To be pedantic, Coccidia aren't bacteria. They are protozoans. Chick starter crumble contains coccidiostats to protect the chicks until they are large enough to fight them off. I suspect antibiotics may be misused, but I know nothing about their use, if any. Which is why I never commented on them.  But hormones are not required at all.

A lot of NZ practises are different from world wide/North American practises. Particularly the timing of round up applications on crops. But there are a lot of common industry practises around food production that most consumers are blissfully unaware of. Having blanket misleading statements made about some sectors don't help.

We made the decision to raise our own chooks years ago rather than continue to support cage egg farming, or its b######d offspring, improved colony cages.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Alastair said:

Wooses. When I was a lad we dug a big hole and put 2 fence posts across it. We then rolled the just shot cattlebeast onto them and butchered it there, dropping the guts into the hole.

Board of trustees may have views on doing that nowadays!

It is enough we have to warn the neighbours what the gunshot they will be hearing at 7am means.

We are on the edge of town, so the school farm is bordered on 2 sides by housing. Should be some good tucker for my new hives.

13 hours ago, Alastair said:

but now you are no longer a lad do you still do your own killing.?

i am a woose   too ,except for rabbits.

but cutting a sheeps throats is beyond me these days.

Did do until I came to Auckland. At which time I was stunned how much meat costs. The people I live among now think killing your own is pretty weird, probably would call police :$

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Alastair said:

Did do until I came to Auckland. At which time I was stunned how much meat costs. The people I live among now think killing your own is pretty weird, probably would call police :$

I saw back steak (fillet steak) for $50kg at East Ridge 8 years ago.

50 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Good for the grower, I guess.

One could say the same thing about a honey producer based on supermarket pricing .

I wonder if a beek gets $8 kilo for honey where does the other $12+ dollars go .

• Agree 3

46 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

One could say the same thing about a honey producer based on supermarket pricing .

I wonder if a beek gets $8 kilo for honey where does the other $12+ dollars go .

If the mark up is that little I’m surprised. By the time shipping, shop staff, rent and tax are paid there isn’t a a lot in that. But a $20 bottle of honey is likely 500g, so it’s likely a lot more than $12?

1 hour ago, cBank said:

If the mark up is that little I’m surprised. By the time shipping, shop staff, rent and tax are paid there isn’t a a lot in that. But a $20 bottle of honey is likely 500g, so it’s likely a lot more than $12?

No that's for 1 kilo, about $24 .

Of multifloral.

On 2/14/2018 at 8:06 PM, CraBee said:

and have their throats slit

Actually it's a spike through the top of the palate first, then the throat down the line a bit.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Actually it's a spike through the top of the palate first, then the throat down the line a bit.

raided a few hen coops in your time have you?

Just now, CraBee said:

raided a few hen coops in your time have you?

Farmer:   So what did it look like?

Farm Boy:  Well it was kinda fluffy looking and well, arhhh, yeah kinda pinkish

• Haha 1

Well hey, word must be getting out, found this comment from the public on our favourite fake organic beekeepers facebook page. 

I blanked out some names for privacy

Capture.JPG

haw Alastair, the above post is like paying for a stripper (any preference here) they start reveal themselves but just before the big finish they stop and pack up and leave.

or so i have been told.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Dennis Crowley said:

haw Alastair, the above post is like paying for a stripper (any preference here) they start reveal themselves but just before the big finish they stop and pack up and leave.

or so i have been told.

I suppose they  have to shoot home in time to feed the kids just like the rest of us. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 5:39 PM, Alastair said:

Well hey, word must be getting out, found this comment from the public on our favourite fake organic beekeepers facebook page. 

I blanked out some names for privacy

Capture.JPG

Funny, that comment on the right is now missing @Alastair, can't have the truth ruining things.

I checked, it's still there, you have to click on the image and expand it to see the comments though.

But a bunch of other stuff has gone, including the fake "certified natural beekeeper" logo.

It will probably take them a while to go through the site and remove all the comments that have sprung up, plus people can add new comments, so they may have to live with it. - Or, best solution for them, go honest.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alastair said:

But a bunch of other stuff has gone, including the fake "certified natural beekeeper" logo.

That is still there in their photos section...

I just took a look through their photos and couldn't find it, the green "100% organic naturally produced" logo is still there, but the more official looking one that includes the word certified, I couldn't find it, pretty sure it's gone.

Got a rude surprise though, scrolled through more of their pics than I have before, and then Woah - What The!!! There's a pic of MY hives, presented like it's THEIR hives. I actually remember this pic being taken a few years back but had no idea they were going to put it on their web site. Didn't even know they had a web site at that time. He actually had the gall to ask me to back my truck up so he could "get a better picture" which in hindsight obviously meant put his truck in the picture. I thought little of it at the time so did so. You can just see the nose and bullbars of my truck on the left of the pic, and their truck featured about middle of the pic. Guess they wanted to feature my well cared for hives, rather than their own motley collection.

Capture 3.JPG

Edited by Alastair
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I just took a look through their photos and couldn't find it, the green "100% organic naturally produced" logo is still there, but the more official looking one that includes the word certified, I couldn't find it, pretty sure it's gone.

Got a rude surprise though, scrolled through more of their pics than I have before, and then Woah - What The!!! There's a pic of MY hives, presented like it's THEIR hives. I actually remember this pic being taken a few years back but had no idea they were going to put it on their web site. He actually had the gall to ask me to back my truck up so he could put his truck in the picture. I thought little of it at the time so did so. You can just see the nose and bullbars of my truck on the left of the pic, and their truck featured about middle of the pic. Guess they wanted to feature my well cared for hives, rather than their own motley collection.

Capture 3.JPG

When I saw this pic I thought they looked like your hives colours :-)   What a cheek using the photo of your hives to promote themselves.  I have to say I'm very impressed by the rather Germanic and organised apiary configuration, puts my often squeezed in hives to shame.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 minutes ago, Alastair said:

This is a screen shot from their photos section just now... 

EB.JPG.38633fc50a03caec62e3fcd01f880781.JPG

• Good Info 1