February 2018 Beekeeping Diary

6 minutes ago, cBank said:

Your method of extracting is probably good for keeping robbers are bay too (as you are in, then out quite fast presumably?).

Though having honey outside yesterday  any form was crazy - everything I’d touched was covered in bees and my hands were fairly clean. 

Robbing has been rabid recently, we've had to visit a 20 hive site three times to get the escape boards on.  

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent the last day of January harvesting honey in the back of nowhere, 6 staff, 3 trucks, 1 for foundy and blowing gear 2 for honey, left the shed at 5am ( to beat the heat) finished the last site fee

Just a little FYI (because I am quite proud of it!) The photograph on the banner is one I took a couple of seasons ago in my garden. The bees were out fairly late in the evening and the sun was low in

My clever daughter has made me a spectacular cake

Posted Images

22 minutes ago, cBank said:

Your method of extracting is probably good for keeping robbers are bay too (as you are in, then out quite fast presumably?).

Though having honey outside yesterday  any form was crazy - everything I’d touched was covered in bees and my hands were fairly clean. 

At this stage of the season I take honey off in late afternoon on a very windy day ,  which keeps the robbers from other surrounding apiaries at home .

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

When I first took honey off my hives back when I started I had the boxes on an old trailer.. about 20 or so, I got home after dark and planned to take trailer load to a mates extraction shed the next morning... ... got up in the morning running late to find a tyre was dead flat so tied a tarp over the matted boxes and went off to work with the trailer tyre.. 

about 10am my missus rings me saying there's clouds of bees on the trailer and around the house... me thinks oh she's not used to bees it won't be that bad and brushed it off.. 

2hrs later another call... I can't go outside or open any windows the trailers black with bees.. 

mmmmm maybe I'll drive home and have a wee look ?

Long story short it was feral.. I dragged the trailer into the back paddock til it was dark and could see the damage. Destroyed frames, honey gone ( due to a 15mm box overlap on both sides of the deck. 

Lesson learnt... with robbing and my not exaggerating missus

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 2
27 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I'd take a guess and say you and your bees maybe inside for a day or two

meanwhile I'll be swinging off a crane cradle delivering rata quads back to wintering and aphid poo sites... oh the joy

Swinging will be the word.

How far south are you . 

I would avoid anywhere north of greymouth on Tuesday .

I am hoping anything to blow down has already been blown down in other storms

Edited by kaihoka
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

Swinging will be the word.

How far south are you . 

I would avoid anywhere north of greymouth on Tuesday .

Hey no need to get personal?

Got a truck n trailer of bees crossing back east tonight the boys will be loading as we speak. 

And a couple more loads later in week weather permitting. 

Im at this end meeting truck unloading and shifting back to sites. 

• Like 1

I’d check all hives are above any chance of water rising the 12mt surges they are predicting.  I’d have the hive straps really tight and the biggest rock I could lift onto each hive lid.  I’d point my prayer mat to Mecca and have it tied down too.  Looks like it’s going to be damaging I’ve never seen isobars that close together the wind is going to be huge.

1 hour ago, Oma said:

I’d check all hives are above any chance of water rising the 12mt surges they are predicting.  I’d have the hive straps really tight and the biggest rock I could lift onto each hive lid.  I’d point my prayer mat to Mecca and have it tied down too.  Looks like it’s going to be damaging I’ve never seen isobars that close together the wind is going to be huge.

I really undecided about how worried to get and we are ground zero.

We are used to 90klm gusts here 

11 hours ago, cBank said:

Created a robbing hell zone with an extraction on Saturday

You might have heaps of other hives nearby that have already been harvested...? Tons of bored foragers looking for a fix. 

As you said, take the supers off just before dark and you should be okay. 

11 hours ago, Stoney said:

Hey no need to get personal?

Got a truck n trailer of bees crossing back east tonight the boys will be loading as we speak. 

And a couple more loads later in week weather permitting. 

Im at this end meeting truck unloading and shifting back to sites. 

I thinking of getting a helo to pull bees out  out the rata ..... it was always going to be a risky mission.

14 minutes ago, jamesc said:

just a little bit more rain .... and don't forget to tie the tramp down .

we had a tramp for years when the kids were here.

it never took off. it was a NZ made supertramp , really heavy  and solid.

like NZ made Tanner wood working machinery was.

• Like 1
22 hours ago, M4tt said:

Plastics getting drawn fast now ......on syrup . 

Its been three years since I had any wax drawn from a flow . 

So I make use of late summer/ Autumn Bees to draw wax , then all the bees need to do on a flow is fill it 

what syrup you are using for this? 

On 2/13/2018 at 4:10 PM, yesbut said:

Just got third darn AFB within 3 km notice of the season.>:(

gee's yesbut you an't got nothing to worry about, out of thirty of my sites i have had 24 AFB notices, it sure makes you wonder what the heck is going on or are we about to have a afb explosion, on the plus side i have not found any yet.

• Like 3

How is it at your place right now? We have 120mm mostly this arvo and expecting big wind but nothing yet really. 

Conflicting wind direction forecasts are annoying for planning. 

Have 2 guys in Franz at the mo. 

Hopefully it's not as bad as predicted. 

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

How is it at your place right now? We have 120mm mostly this arvo and expecting big wind but nothing yet really. 

Conflicting wind direction forecasts are annoying for planning. 

Have 2 guys in Franz at the mo. 

Hopefully it's not as bad as predicted. 

70mls , normal rain for us .

Pretty gusty nor west now.

No damage that I know of ,garden is probably getting blown over, again .

My area is pretty unmodified by man .

The water courses all go uninterrupted where they want and plenty of forest for wind protection and to hold the soil together.

No one has really tried that hard to fight nature out here, she always wins .

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Sounds like paradise to me.. 

Yeah /nah

It can be the most wonderful place but when we have 3 days of mist I am climbing the walls .

Doesn't happen much thank God.

I know people who have sold up in murchison and the Rai valley cause of fog .

I think we will have a one lane road over the hill by the end of the day .