February 2018 Beekeeping Diary

John Rawcliffe from UMFHA started his presentation titled ‘ Research and Work undertaker by UMFHA with the attached video clip

from my notes

It was clever marketing with the square bottle (packs well) label placed at 20 degrees ( larger print can be used on the label)

Manuka needs to have that same brand awareness, as

Johnnie Walker /Champagne 

The beekeeper, your story, your journey

Standardised, unique, the label should tell the story

His presentation partly set the scene for the after lunch sessions 

3 speakers gave back to back presentations, as @Oma has posted

following are exerts from my notes

MPI speaker Bryan Wilson

Manuka honey definition is for the International market

They are concerned about China, MPI regulates with International companies. 

He stated China will be active in testing honeys. There is huge concern with China

They have taken note of the dairy industry experience 

However, don’t know what’s going to happen

The standard is in place from 5/2/18 to 5/8/18

He reiterated it is a collaboration between the Industry and Beekeepers 

Ian Fletcher then spoke on the impact of the latest MPI definition of Manuka

Data analysis

What lessons do we draw?

What should we be trying to achieve?

Beeking needs to continue to be ..

- Biosecurity, healthy bee population

- involve Govt &NZ public

mentioned economics of Beekeeping and not just manuka

- continue to sell the scientific story of bees to honey

Raised the question 

Should we develop standards for all monoflora honeys?

Need to protect the whole pellet of NZ honey

Terry Braggins presented a whole lot of data in line with the new standards

how honey samples are taken

It would seem 10+ falls below the new standard

Dialogue needs to continue

-need a clear mandate

- get the inside story straight 

- relationships of trust

- manage risk in negotiations 

We need to engage all players in

co operation 

MPI - the ongoing work will involve all in the industry eg UMF

This is a start of a process of constant improvement 

Questions were taken from the floor. There was robust discussion 

again it was said

”the definition will evolve, with new science, data and information to be gathered’

Strong comment was made and the question asked around allowing bulk barrels of honey being exported 

This needs to stop

It was summed up...

What is Manuka honey?

How do we protect the brand?

We were referred again to consider the Johnnie Walker story

Personally, it struck me as a PR exercise 

presented with data analysis

but I’m a hobbyist.. 

who is concerned with Manuka honey marketing as it affects the NZ commercial beeks and the economy.

It would be good if the other attendees could add their thoughts and additional comments

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
Fix Manukau
  • Thanks 4
  • Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent the last day of January harvesting honey in the back of nowhere, 6 staff, 3 trucks, 1 for foundy and blowing gear 2 for honey, left the shed at 5am ( to beat the heat) finished the last site fee

Just a little FYI (because I am quite proud of it!) The photograph on the banner is one I took a couple of seasons ago in my garden. The bees were out fairly late in the evening and the sun was low in

My clever daughter has made me a spectacular cake

Posted Images

My take home message regarding the present Manuka Definition is “the tests only identify which nectar the honey comes from NOT the activity level.  Producers can continue to use activity level for marketing but the must have the documentation to back it up” 

Thanks for sharing your notes @Beefriendly you captured the segment really well

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
18 minutes ago, Beefriendly said:

This is a start of a process of constant improvement 

Questions were taken from the floor. There was robust discussion 

again it was said

”the definition will evolve, with new science, data and information to be gathered’

Never??

1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Just used some of my spare petrol on a wasp nest about six feet from our runner beans. Incredible how they manged to fly under our radar for so long.

did you spill or spray the fuel on the nest or how? Weren't they unhappy about it?

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

At least it was a low  height bridge .

I am thinking of the bee keeper killed years ago when a bridge collapsed .

Yes I knew that farm in the Waitotara Area 

The worst that could have happened here was a dunk in a shallow pond.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Just used some of my spare petrol on a wasp nest about six feet from our runner beans. Incredible how they manged to fly under our radar for so long.

I puffed a mini wasp nest I found.

There are big wasps around but they are not that interested in tuna tinned in spring water. I need a different bait .

9 hours ago, kaihoka said:

puffed a mini wasp nest I found.

There are big wasps around but they are not that interested in tuna tinned in spring water. I need a different bait .

I have a major problem with wasps here following the honey dew from the Willows they are everywhere and I have looked high and low for the nests but cant find them.  As soon as I open the door to my shed I get about 30 or 40 in the door in minutes.   I have been sucking them up with my industrial vacuum cleaner along with a puff of "no more wasps" and sending them on their way again.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, dansar said:

Yep, that’s me. 2 day conference done and dusted. From what I have heard from attendees there was lots of useful information from experienced Beekeepers and industry researchers. Valuable for both hobby and commercial Beekeepers. I missed a lot of the presentations so thanks for those of you who took notes and are sharing on the forum.

It was very cool to meet Mrs Dansar yesterday 

You probably had the privilege of putting faces and names to most of the forum members who attended.

It was an awesome opportunity for me to network, learn, view product, meet up with people I knew, make new contacts and learn.

The beekeeping community is awesome, international and a wealth of knowledge

IMHO

Did I mention I took lots of notes.

I’ll post more as time and processing of thoughts allow

Edited by Beefriendly
  • Like 3

Having hives next to a river with heavy rain & king tides is always a concern. The past 2 days the river has been close to flooding. I have been lucky not having to relocate them. I didn't see any sign of the commercial beek with pallets of hives on the other side not far from being lost. Digger wasn't as lucky with a fault with the track but was recovered later.

Riverside beehives.jpg

Digger swamped.jpg

• Like 3
  • Sad 3
58 minutes ago, Philbee said:

What was your Spring treatment?

Api life Var . Yep it’s organic and as short or as long as you want to make it , but I certainly didn’t treat for 8 or 10 weeks . 

Ive been through all my hives now and it’s just that site that has problems . My best guess is they are closer to a source of varroa than my other hives . 

Apivar is in now and the worst ones got one MAQS as well 

27 minutes ago, M4tt said:

Api life Var . Yep it’s organic and as short or as long as you want to make it , but I certainly didn’t treat for 8 or 10 weeks . 

Ive been through all my hives now and it’s just that site that has problems . My best guess is they are closer to a source of varroa than my other hives . 

Apivar is in now and the worst ones got one MAQS as well 

Thanks

Ive never heard a good word about the Api Life Var 

I am expecting a delivery of Apivar this week (ordered last Wednesday), I was going to do an alcohol wash and then treat as soon as it arrives but then thought why wash and kill 300 per hive since I wil treat regardless so does it make sense to just do the wash at the end of treatment and then act (or not) according to what I find at that time?

Unrelated to that I went to get some veg for dinner today, the bees live next to the veggie patch and I noticed a little pile, I am guessing about 100, dead bees at the entrance. It has been raining for 3 days solid now and they are still trying to fly so can I assume they have just been caught out by the weather?

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Thanks

Ive never heard a good word about the Api Life Var 

Oh it certainly kills mites , but different hives remove it at different rates , so you’ve got to be onto it with replacing the wafers when needed 

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1