Trevor Gillbanks

February 2018 Beekeeping Diary

1 hour ago, tommy dave said:

a near neighbour rang me a week or so back, he saw me loading bee gear into my car before xmas and pulled over for a yarn as he has bees etc. Nice guy. Anyway, he called as his hives were being robbed and wondered if it was my hives doing it. I have no idea if it's my bees obviously (likely though), but i went up and gave him those mouse guard metal entrance reducers to put on his hives. Sounds like some honey had been spilled and all the bees in the neighbourhood had turned up. I gave him a jar of honey too, when he said thanks all i could think is that it was probably his bees that had collected it in the first place...

i loved the idea of saying "yes, it's my bees, i'll give them a stern talking to!"

Some of my bees got a stern talking to today.

Got out of the truck and was about 10m from the hives when I started getting pinged in the head, didn't get stung.  So back to the truck to grab a veil.  A seriously tetchy site, who completely ignored my threats of petrol.

But, as always, worse was to come.  On the way out the wagon with trailer got stuck and I had the ignominy of my wife having to pick me up.  "Did you forget about the rain this morning, yesterday, and the day before?"  she asked.  I mumbled a few times.  Should never have tried this site after the rain, arhhhhhhh!  Oh well, its been six months since I was last stuck so not all bad....

Edited by CraBee
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, CraBee said:

sounds entirely their fault that the trailer got stuck ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Today I started putting in bee escape boards as the honey flow is over.

The apiary I was at today are the hives that pollinate blueberries. Normally they have a fantastic summer flow with pasture flowers, which there are plenty of.

However, they are not looking great.  While there is a reasonable amount of honey on them (probably two FD boxes per hive average), there has been no honey come in since Christmas time, so there is not much brood, so not many new bees. To top it off, there are DWV bees emerging in most hives, which is further weakening them.

Once the honey boxes are off, Apivar will be going in and they will get syrup in their top feeders to encourage the queens to lay and produce healthy winter bees. 

It would seem the treatment gap between spring varroa treatment and now is too long.

On the brighter side, no AFB :14_relaxed:

• Like 5
  • Good Info 1

13 minutes ago, M4tt said:

The apiary I was at today are the hives that pollinate blueberries. Normally they have a fantastic summer flow with pasture flowers, which there are plenty of.

However, they are not looking great.  While there is a reasonable amount of honey on them (probably two FD boxes per hive average), there has been no honey come in since Christmas time, so there is not much brood, so not many new bees. To top it off, there are DWV bees emerging in most hives, which is further weakening them.

Once the honey boxes are off, Apivar will be going in and they will get syrup in their top feeders to encourage the queens to lay and produce healthy winter bees. 

It would seem the treatment gap between spring varroa treatment and now is too long.

On the brighter side, no AFB :14_relaxed:

I started sugar shaking again today and got a 0,0 on two hives at one site and 2,5 on another site so OA/Gly treatment went in at all hives at that site.  I'll check it again in a couple of weeks.  I'm hopeful many of the other sites will be relatively low.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My daughter tells me I have to be careful about what comes in doors, as it’s usually outdoors too. 

No no one told my friend, who arrived with this lovely gift today

1848C243-D48B-401F-8BA4-B207537EAF14.thumb.jpeg.77e8a2c0dbbf62bf30064b24bc0e45a2.jpeg

Read the words horizontally 

They are scrabble tiles but it’s not scrabble 

She’s going to add a miniature Apiary number

• Like 11

On 07/02/2018 at 3:29 PM, M4tt said:

Oh my god! You say this as if it is a walk in the park!! I just put escape boards on two of my hives and now I can barely move my left shoulder. Stiff neck too... just had to pop some panadol... Why did I let them fill three FD supers each? And, yes yes yes, I should be using 3/4s... too late for that helpful tip.

• Haha 6

54 minutes ago, CHCHPaul said:

Oh my god! You say this as if it is a walk in the park!! I just put escape boards on two of my hives and now I can barely move my left shoulder. Stiff neck too... just had to pop some panadol... Why did I let them fill three FD supers each? And, yes yes yes, I should be using 3/4s... too late for that helpful tip.

Today I did more checks and put more escapes in , after first taking the honey boxes off the first lot and putting varroa treatment in. 

One hive took severe exception to me poking around , so I had to go and look for my leather gloves , I should really leave them where I can find them . 

This lot of hives are strong , but have less honey , but far more stores in the two 3/4 brood boxes . Around one 3/4 Box average, and no visible mite damage apart from varroa in drone brood 

• Like 4

@CHCHPaul  try some cement, about 3 teaspoons full per cup, in your afternoon tea and you will find yourself feeling much better  .. i.e. firming up

And bring along an empty FD box and you can solve the problem this year before you convert to all 3/4 boxes.

Edited by tudor
just so witty
  • Haha 6

Day 1 of the 2 day Mini conference done. Lots of interest and it was really good to catch up with past customers and put faces to names of forum members. ?

BF71FE3D-0F24-4C32-92E2-5DEAEDFEB3CE.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, dansar said:

Day 1 of the 2 day Mini conference done. Lots of interest and it was really good to catch up with past customers and put faces to names of forum members. ?

BF71FE3D-0F24-4C32-92E2-5DEAEDFEB3CE.jpeg

Hmm I think I qualify on both counts 

:14_relaxed:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dansar said:

Didn't get a chance to say hi as you were busy with people each time I came by but I did snap this cool pic of your queen doing her thing.. 

IMG_20180209_200441_982.jpg

• Like 4

Mini Conference was great today. Manuka Definition by speakers from MPI’s deputy director general Bryan Wilson, Terry Braggins from Analytica, and NZ Beekeeping Inc advisor Ian Fletcher had the packed lecture theatre listening intently.  There were some very pertinent questions asked at the end of the session. I hope someone with more knowledge than me does a bit of a write up for those not there some time.  

Edited by dansar
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Daniel Benefield said:

Didn't get a chance to say hi as you were busy with people each time I came by but I did snap this cool pic of your queen doing her thing.. 

IMG_20180209_200441_982.jpg

Thanks for the photo @Daniel Benefield. The Queen was a star all day, she was happily popping in to cells to lay so a lot of people got to see that. If you are at the conference on Saturday stop by and see me. Cheers, Dan.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Oma said:

Mini Conference was great today. Manuka Definition by speakers from MPI’s deputy director general Bryan Wilson, Terry Braggins from Analytica, and NZ Beekeeping Inc advisor Ian Fletcher had the packed lecture theatre listening intently.  There were some very pertinent questions asked at the end of the session. I hope someone with more knowledge than me does a bit of a write up for those not there some time.  

@Merks comments tonight in "Manuka standards" makes interesting reading in light of todays discussions.  And I would say that Analytica staff are very helpful as are discussions with Terry Braggins and I think we all have to spend some money testing and relearning where our harvests sits with the new standards.   Interesting days ahead.  Great meeting you Oma you are such a bundle of energy and thanks for your insites.

• Like 3

It would be really good if anyone who went to the conference could expand a bit on the thoughts around the Manuka standard.

i enjoyed yesterday, the organisers have done a great job. 

There were some very pointed questions put to MPI regarding the new manuka standard and I found most of  his answers very vague to the point of deflecting the question altogether. He did give the industry a bit of a telling off and said we need to unite to one speaking voice and decide how we want to handle the international import demands from china etc or MPI will make the decisions for us and we may not like the outcome. Pretty much what's already happened with the definition.

I found it disappointing that they have no plans to make definitions for any other floral source (unless industry demands it ) as I think nz could be marketing a lot of other types as unique and premium product too.  

There was a suggestion put forward to ban all bulk export of manuka to help prevent adulteration, keen to hear others thoughts on this 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 1

21 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

It would be really good if anyone who went to the conference could expand a bit on the thoughts around the Manuka standard.

I will... took notes

watch this space.... off to Day 2 ?

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

The party line from MPI hasn't changed, it's a starting point and they had to start somewhere. They know it's not perfect and are open to refining it further but for now it's though luck if your monofloral 15+ is now just really strong tasting bush honey.

Terry Braggins had a good suggestion to add a box into their sample request form to identify the area  the honey has come from so they can get a data base of regions that don't quite fit the definition.  

I’m worried about the “refining it further” comment.

do they not understand that dicking around with it is causing a lot of uncertainty both in NZ and offshore.

you can’t have secure markets and secure beekeeping businesses if at any minute MPI can change the definition and all of a sudden you don’t produce the type of honey you produced yesterday.

its not like you can just add another ingredient to meet requirements. 

• Like 3

On 2/5/2018 at 8:59 PM, CraBee said:

Got out of the truck and was about 10m from the hives when I started getting pinged in the head, didn't get stung.  So back to the truck to grab a veil.  A seriously tetchy site, who completely ignored my threats of petrol.

But, as always, worse was to come.  On the way out the wagon with trailer got stuck and I had the ignominy of my wife having to pick me up.  "Did you forget about the rain this morning, yesterday, and the day before?"  she asked.  I mumbled a few times.  Should never have tried this site after the rain, arhhhhhhh!  Oh well, its been six months since I was last stuck so not all bad....

I got stuck yesterday as well.

My truck slipped off the side of a slippery wooden bridge

It actually went through the deck when the wheels slipped off the double deck layer.

Id left my phone at home so had a long walk to a road 

Lucky a Mate drove by me and I was able to phone home.

image.thumb.png.70bda84e5a27f7d201a3d4d3fd9bf6c5.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I’m worried about the “refining it further” comment.

do they not understand that dicking around with it is causing a lot of uncertainty both in NZ and offshore.

you can’t have secure markets and secure beekeeping businesses if at any minute MPI can change the definition and all of a sudden you don’t produce the type of honey you produced yesterday.

its not like you can just add another ingredient to meet requirements. 

I agree. I thinks that's why they won't be rushing into a change. It will take lots of data and science. Also I doubt it would be a new marker, more like an adjustment in a  Level. 

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

It actually went through the deck when the wheels slipped off the double deck layer.

image.thumb.png.70bda84e5a27f7d201a3d4d3fd9bf6c5.pngI like the smoker holder, that's a great trick. Driving off the bridge.... not so much

6 hours ago, Philbee said:

How did you fix that? Pulling it back onto sketchy wood doesn’t sound fun.

8 minutes ago, cBank said:

How did you fix that? Pulling it back onto sketchy wood doesn’t sound fun.

There just happened to be a Strainer Post 6m in front of the truck so hooked a Chain Hoist Winch to it and dragged it across on its rear diff

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Philbee said:

image.thumb.png.70bda84e5a27f7d201a3d4d3fd9bf6c5.png

At least it was a low  height bridge .

I am thinking of the bee keeper killed years ago when a bridge collapsed .