February 2018 Beekeeping Diary

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Spent the last day of January harvesting honey in the back of nowhere, 6 staff, 3 trucks, 1 for foundy and blowing gear 2 for honey, left the shed at 5am ( to beat the heat) finished the last site fee

Just a little FYI (because I am quite proud of it!) The photograph on the banner is one I took a couple of seasons ago in my garden. The bees were out fairly late in the evening and the sun was low in

My clever daughter has made me a spectacular cake

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Phew the relief, a spot of Q squashing, a bit of papering, and I'm back down to my regulation two hives. Just have to decide what to do with the two nucs I've got brewing. 

Take the challenge to successfully over-winter two nucs

Today I found what appeared to be a PMS hive, ripped cappings Sac Brood type larvae ranging from white to black.

No roping and a strong 2 box hive that was superseding the Queen. Backed up my visual/ rope AFB appraisal with a Milk test. negative.;

As I reached for the Alcohol wash kit I thought,  "at last some Varroa" but to my surprise the 400 Bee wash yielded no Varroa.

So I washed them again for the same result.

Then I tipped the Bees into a tin lid to dry out and then panned them like for gold

then I tossed them like they were in a wok and panned them some more.

If there were any Varroa in the mix I would have found them but there were none.

Whats going on?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Today I found what appeared to be a PMS hive, ripped cappings Sac Brood type larvae ranging from white to black.

No roping and a strong 2 box hive that was superseding the Queen. Backed up my visual/ rope AFB appraisal with a Milk test. negative.;

As I reached for the Alcohol wash kit I thought,  "at last some Varroa" but to my surprise the 400 Bee wash yielded no Varroa.

Then I tipped the Bees into a tin lid to dry out and then panned them like for gold

If there were any Varroa in the mix I would have found them but there were none.

Whats going on?

don't need varroa for PMS. virus can hang around for a long long time ie 12 months or more.

• Good Info 1

Visited my most remote site today. Last time I supered them was at the begining of Jan. There were a bunch of nosey yearlings in that paddock. No hot wire handy so I just strapped everything up really tight and hoped for the best... Sure enough 2 hives knocked over. Bit of a mess of big fat comb built every which way in the new supers I had given them, but otherwise they were in good nick. Bit of crushing and straining to do..

Screenshot_20180202-210430.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
35 minutes ago, Daniel Benefield said:

Visited my most remote site today. Last time I supered them was at the begining of Jan. There were a bunch of nosey yearlings in that paddock. No hot wire handy so I just strapped everything up really tight and hoped for the best... Sure enough 2 hives knocked over. Bit of a mess of big fat comb built every which way in the new supers I had given them, but otherwise they were in good nick. Bit of crushing and straining to do..

Screenshot_20180202-210430.jpg

That's very yellow comb and honey 

12 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

That's very yellow comb and honey 

It is, and it tastes lovely too. I'm not sure what it is exactly though. It's the first year I have had this site as well as another 1 about 2km away. Hives at both sites brought in a box or 2 each of this.

Edited by Daniel Benefield
Wording
1 minute ago, Daniel Benefield said:

It is, and it tastes lovely too. I'm not sure what it is exactly though. It's the first year I have had this site as well as another 1 about 2km away. Hives at both sites brought in a box of this or 2 each like this.

I have some very yellow runny sweet clear honey that no one can identify .

Is it  a Bush site .

Do you have any paddocks of Brasica near by 

On 2/2/2018 at 6:52 AM, yesbut said:

As  a hobbyist I daren't say much....the wooden spoon will have to do. At least it wasn't raining.

What happened to all those bees down in S westland in the big storm ?

We got a mission coming up shortly to retrieve hives and that's gonna be real interestng. Might take an extra packet of nachos  justin case..... !

53 minutes ago, jamesc said:

What happened to all those bees down in S westland in the big storm ?

We got a mission coming up shortly to retrieve hives and that's gonna be real interestng. Might take an extra packet of nachos  justin case..... !

We gotta guy stuck over there at the mo, between slips. He was shifting a few sites to higher ground. 

Id say I've lost a few for sure. But can't do much about it at the mo. 

Hope to head over on Wednesday. 

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, Philbee said:

Whats going on?

The problem is the Queen.

• Good Info 1
1 hour ago, Stoney said:

We gotta guy stuck over there at the mo, between slips. He was shifting a few sites to higher ground. 

Id say I've lost a few for sure. But can't do much about it at the mo. 

Hope to head over on Wednesday. 

hmmm