Wax Moth-Rightoff or Salvageable??

Question

I checked my hive yesterday and found bad infestation of Wax moth.Never had it before but lots of droppings and bee cocoons about 14 and wrecked comb ( frames are all plastic) Couldn't find queen. Found some capped and a little uncapped brood...only drones.(Drone layer)If I put in a new mated queen would the hive revive, without starting from scratch..There are about 3 frames of honey in the Super.

20180129_123744 (640x480).jpg

20180129_123520 (600x800).jpg

20180129_123729 (600x800) (2).jpg

20180129_123736 (600x800).jpg

• Answers 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Posts

You don't indicate how many bees. Doesn't look like many. The colony sounds stuffed to me . I'd say it is a write-off.

Without knowing size of remaining colony but going on the fact you have said queen was a drone layer and your pic seem to illustrate naff all bees I agree with @yesbut. I wouldn't, myself, bother

That frame is a write off as it was never waxed properly to start with... but would say that hive is a write off and the wax moth has just taken over... 

Posted Images

7 answers to this question

I agree that the hive is a write off. Most likeley you have laying workers, the hive seems to be very weakened anyway. most bees will be pretty old by now (and slowly dying off)

a mated queen would just get killed. Wipe the hive at least 30m away, (some bees will get into nearby hives and keep helping there)

also Wax Moth never will cause a problem within a healthy hive

• Good Info 1

Without knowing size of remaining colony but going on the fact you have said queen was a drone layer and your pic seem to illustrate naff all bees I agree with @yesbut.

I wouldn't, myself, bother with trying to introduce a new queen.  I would start a fresh.

If you have enough to make a nuc make one with a new queen and start over. This way it's not a total write off.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Shake out all remaining bees. Scrape off the frames and rewax them. Make a new nuke from another hive. 

If you reuse the old bees and introduced a new queen, you would get the same result if you stacked your money in a little heap and burnt it. A stuffed hive and no money ??

• Agree 1