For many years I was an AP 2 but like many in the last few years I have been dropped off the list without any explanation. After making a few inquiries I have been invited to reapply but would have to agree to inspect 100 apiarys per year. This is way more than I have time or inclination for. What I did in the past was to inspect hives upon the request of individuals (which I can do anyway) help with diseaseathons and occasionally when a bad outbreak occurred be called in for emergency inspection work. I did not do this for remuneration and usually donated any fees to a charity. I do not object to (competent) beekeepers being paid to do this job either full-time or part-time, that is as it should be but I do think beekeeping has lost a lot if very experienced beekeepers such as myself and many others I know will from now on be unable to help when help is urgently needed and believe me history has shown it will be needed.

Any thoughts on the matter before I make a formal reply.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Clearly counter offer to do the job on your terms . Then the powers that be can take it or leave it . 

I understand how you feel. Being dropped without any explanation is difficult to accept, especially in a voluntary role. 

I've just joined St John and part of the requirement stated to me on joining up is that I do 50 shifts. This repays the investment in training, uniform etc. 

However I do these shifts outside of my normal work time. I'd imagine a lot of the 100 apiarys you'd be expected to look at would be during your working day at certain times of the year, so the level of investment has to be reasonable to meet both requirements. 

I'd say you should absolutely counter offer with your expectations clearly set out. It's an admirable level to set for those new people wanting to do it, but surely they aren't going to turn down experienced volunteers who already do the role? 

• Like 3

I and many others I know were fully trained and warranted and as far as I know all that was needed was a simple renewal, that is what happened in the past. They have obviously had a change in policy but at the very least they could have informed those of us that have put in years of voluntary service of their decisions and reasons for them. I guess I would still like some sort of explanation but I am much more interested in making sure that A. The job gets done properly and B. There are extra qualified people available to help when it hits the fan.

• Agree 5

Sorry to hear that @john berry Your service has been much appreciated (as with all AP2's) and it is such a pity that you have been treated in this shameful manner.

This is almost the exact scenario that was dealt to Neil Farrer and other AP2's.  Simply, Take the new system or get out.

Unfortunately, these senior people are now being replaced with very inexperienced Beeks.

Enjoy a bit more free time.

Edited by Trevor Gillbanks
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, john berry said:

For many years I was an AP 2 but like many in the last few years I have been dropped off the list without any explanation. After making a few inquiries I have been invited to reapply but would have to agree to inspect 100 apiarys per year. This is way more than I have time or inclination for. What I did in the past was to inspect hives upon the request of individuals (which I can do anyway) help with diseaseathons and occasionally when a bad outbreak occurred be called in for emergency inspection work. I did not do this for remuneration and usually donated any fees to a charity. I do not object to (competent) beekeepers being paid to do this job either full-time or part-time, that is as it should be but I do think beekeeping has lost a lot if very experienced beekeepers such as myself and many others I know will from now on be unable to help when help is urgently needed and believe me history has shown it will be needed.

Any thoughts on the matter before I make a formal reply.

Very disappointed to hear this @john berry

I have to ask myself what they are thinking letting people like you go, I would think there are few people as qualified for the job as you are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

We wondered what had happened to AP2s. It is a long time since I was asked to do anything, but I never got any communication from anyone. 

• Thanks 1