• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the many years before I started, in central Europe, England and Scotland, by custom and superstition it was considered wrong to buy bees. When I started my bees were a gift, failing that I would ha

I don’t see why this site would want to get into blacklisting, it’s a world of pain and suffering and leave one open to nasty legal letters. White listing is much tidier, or failing that, just as

It's also not a site for discontent, discord, or personal attack.  Although there is a regular stream of individuals who react poorly when their opinions are not shared universally.

Well balanced response there too.

Although plenty of people in the beekeeping community do follow the rules, Sara McMillan, president of the Manawatu Beekeepers Club, said there was no requirement for sellers on Trade Me to provide their registration numbers.

She said the spread of diseases like American foulbrood disease and the varroa bee mite were a deadly threat to the bee population.

"If we have a problem and we don't know what's happening with these hives because they're not registered then we can't attack it and we can't provide a solution. It's a major issue for us."

There are other community buy and sell forums online where beekeepers are asked to provide their registration numbers - and if they don't, their listings are taken down.

As happens here. If you wish to sell bees and maintain standards for other beekeepers, especially new beekeepers, then you are welcome to use the buy and sell options here on NZ Bees. Your registration number is required.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
Just now, cBank said:

I take it you weren’t keen?

For what it’s worth, the comments from the experienced members here on that thread are very handy for the new kids.

I said I would talk.  She had several other people to contact, so not sure when this may happen.

As I don't use trademe I am fairly neutral about it, but I do know the risks.

Just now, cBank said:

For what it’s worth, the comments from the experienced members here on that thread are very handy for the new kids.

Absolutely. :91_thumbsup:

They weren't the problem, so let's move on, this is not about that specific trade, but about selling bees in general.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"Push for tighter rules for selling bees on Trade Me"

Beekeepers are worried Trade Me could be used by unregistered beekeepers to sell beehives, which could unwittingly spread pests and diseases.

Andrew from ApirNZ had a meeting with Trademe yesterday to push for change, it is in all our interest to watch for the crooks.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/348436/push-for-tighter-rules-for-selling-bees-on-trade-me

Why is the not on NZBee.net a watch dog page where we can report questionable and stolen items? They have a section for stolen boats among other things.

3 hours ago, Alanbee said:

Why is the not on NZBee.net a watch dog page where we can report questionable and stolen items? They have a section for stolen boats among other things

There is and you did I believe.

As already mentioned if you want a safe platform for buying and selling,  you can purchase bees via reputable supplier in the marketplace, where a registration number is required to sell bees.

We don't have listings for boats. 

• Disagree 1
1 hour ago, Grant said:

There is and you did I believe.

As already mentioned if you want a safe platform for buying and selling,  you can purchase bees via reputable supplier in the marketplace, where a registration number is required to sell bees.

We don't have listings for boats. 

Sadly you miss a point again Grant, if your trying to solve the problems on the current level of thinking your good backwards. Ego and arrogance are the pills that dull the pain of stupidity.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 2
2 minutes ago, Alanbee said:

Sadly you miss a point again Grant, if your trying to solve the problems on the current level of thinking your good backwards. Ego and arrogance are the pills that dull the pain of stupidity.

Isn’t there a dispute process?

I don’t see this the place to name and shame.

I really like @Dave Black post

On 1/19/2018 at 4:11 PM, Dave Black said:

In the many years before I started, in central Europe, England and Scotland, by custom and superstition it was considered wrong to buy bees. When I started my bees were a gift, failing that I would have to catch a swarm. That was the tradition. You could buy equipment, but not bees. Bees were not given to anyone, nor could anyone catch a swarm, mostly because they didn't know how, and if they did, it usually died within the year... In some places you could barter, but exchanging actual money - no. For example, in a famous 19thC  literary journal (Notes & Queries) in Hampshire a beekeeper writes "there is not one peasant, I believe, in the village, man nor woman, who would sell you a swarm of bees. To be guilty of selling bees is a grievous omen indeed, than which nothing can be more dreadful." In Wales it was believed stolen bees would make no honey and die, but that a hive gift would bring good luck. There are many stories from all over France and Scotland.

Beekeepers were just that, and controlled who joined their ranks. I like tradition.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Alanbee said:

Why is the not on NZBee.net a watch dog page where we can report questionable and stolen items? They have a section for stolen boats among other things.

Maybe if this was written in English Grant wouldn't have missed your point! :) Perhaps you could make it again so I understand it.

• Agree 3
4 hours ago, Beefriendly said:

Isn’t there a dispute process?

I don’t see this the place to name and shame.

I really like @Dave Black post

The irony here is that on one hand you dont wish to Name and shame but the post you "really like" describes a system where Naming and Shaming were likely cornerstones of a nasty tittle regime intent on controlling the Honey commodity 
Like a Mafia.
The mitigating factor is thats it's ancient history 

• Stirrer 1