Courtney L Neilson

Autumn Varroa

15 hours ago, Markypoo said:

Means I don't have to open the hive up. Lord knows I hate doing that.

15 hours ago, Markypoo said:

I am doing a round of oxalic acid vapor at 5 day intervals starting tomorrow. Did a trial run last week and realised that the proximity of the plastic base to the vaporiser could be an issue so did an adjustment to the hive.

Still have to get round to reading up on glycerine and oxalic acid, but am thinking vaporisation may be my major method. Though my mind can be changed on that if someone out there knows better...

Hi, I have been using the OA vaporiser for a year now with good results. Had all wooden bases at the start, and have now gone to using the new hive doctor plastic ones.

Money well spent. Trevor Gillbanks has a youtube vid on them explains everything. 

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, milkandhoney said:

Hi Courteny,

As a another HB beekeeper, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. We are just now taking off our main harvest, which we will follow up with another round in about 4 weeks or so. Just removing anything that is capped at that stage for extraction. Once those last frames come out, we go straight into varroa treatment. For us it is less about mite thresholds and more about getting the hives up to maximum health again to produce nice big fat winter bees.  Bayvarol for us at this time of year, in for a minimum of 8 weeks. We monitor pollen levels coming in (which is their primary source of proteins and lipids etc) and then top up their carbs just before wintering down. 

pretty much ditto.   General rule of thumb for us is Bayvarol in from 1 March, out by 1 May.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

2 hours ago, kaihoka said:

You may need to put the vaporizer on a board or Jack up the hive with wedges.

Have you checked whether you have made a hole in the base .

It's a good entrance for robbers if you have 

What I did was place a thin sheet of aluminum underneath the heating unit. There was a gap between this and the metal so any heat would have been dispersed over a wide area. Because it was all done in 45 odd seconds I am confident there was no meltng (which I checked visually anyway). I have raised the hive base up as per one of trev's videos.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mark K said:

Hi, I have been using the OA vaporiser for a year now with good results. Had all wooden bases at the start, and have now gone to using the new hive doctor plastic ones.

Money well spent. Trevor Gillbanks has a youtube vid on them explains everything. 

What is your technique/timings? If I only have a couple of hives it is no issue to do a cycle every few weeks.

2 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

What I did was place a thin sheet of aluminum underneath the heating unit. There was a gap between this and the metal so any heat would have been dispersed over a wide area. Because it was all done in 45 odd seconds I am confident there was no meltng (which I checked visually anyway). I have raised the hive base up as per one of trev's videos.

I did that and still managed to melt the base 

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I did that and still managed to melt the base 

I was holding mine up off the base.

Got around a few sites early this morning getting escape boards on etc.  Not a great morning with hives looking light.   I dug into any drone brood I could see and didn’t come across a mite.  Took delivery of another 20l of glycerine this week and given how well OA/Gly seems to be performing may continue with it instead of putting Apivar in. 

• Good Info 1

2 hours ago, Markypoo said:

What is your technique/timings? If I only have a couple of hives it is no issue to do a cycle every few weeks.

Ok first thing i do is block off the sides of the hive so vapor can't escape. Then i put 1gm of OA in vaporiser insert into hive,. block off front entrance.

Hook up to battery and leave on for 2min 30sec. Then switch off and leave vaporiser in hive for 10min, i still keep front entrance and side's covered.

If i have a high mite load i treat once a week for 4 weeks, so if i treat Sat, then i treat again on the following Sat. After treatment is over will wait 2 weeks and

then do a 1 off treatment to see how the mite level is. And then retreat if i have to. I also treat later on in the evening around 7pm more bees in the hive then.

I use 1gm of OA for 2 3/4 brood boxes. I also use inspection trays and count mite drop every couple of days. Hope this helps.

• Good Info 1

5 hours ago, yesbut said:

Have you looked up     http://scientificbeekeeping.com/oxalic-shop-towel-updates/             ??

Yup, a really interesting read. But the technique still has wrinkles being ironed out. I’m going to do a thorough read/google and probably have it in my hives over winter

1 hour ago, Josh said:

But the technique still has wrinkles being ironed out

My technique calls for a couple of half towels between each storey, or if one box  they're draped over a couple of frames  down between and one crammed in the front door.

They're there full time. No good for a commercial 'cos of the impediment to quick manipiulation. I scrape the remains out as needed and replace from my stash of soaked towels.

• Like 2

I gassed my hives with OA today.

They were pretty  snotty about me jacking up their hive .

A couple of bees actually went out of their way to sting me .

I think with the flow slowing down they are having to defend from robbers .

1 hour ago, kaihoka said:

I think with the flow slowing down they are having to defend from robbers .

Yes you ?

After a lot of thought - I've decided to try the OA vaporiser treatment like @Markypoo and @yesbut but was also worried about burning a hole in my plastic hive dr bases.  

After watching @Trevor Gillbanks YouTube video I've come up with the following adaption. I've cut a small slot into the new base frame (and have it facing the back of the hive).  The vaporiser can fit through the slot.  I also glued a small piece of fibrecement board on the base of the hive dr floor to rest the vaporiser iron once it has been inserted into the hive.  The piece of timber I cut out of the base frame fits back into the slot once it's all done.  

I've installed it today and it's already to go but will still wait a bit longer as I've got a zero mite count.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rewi1973 said:

After a lot of thought - I've decided to try the OA vaporiser treatment like @Markypoo and @yesbut but was also worried about burning a hole in my plastic hive dr bases.  

After watching @Trevor Gillbanks YouTube video I've come up with the following adaption. I've cut a small slot into the new base frame (and have it facing the back of the hive).  The vaporiser can fit through the slot.  I also glued a small piece of fibrecement board on the base of the hive dr floor to rest the vaporiser iron once it has been inserted into the hive.  The piece of timber I cut out of the base frame fits back into the slot once it's all done.  

I've installed it today and it's already to go but will still wait a bit longer as I've got a zero mite count.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It will not be that easy to exactly sit it on the   fibre board 

9 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

It will not be that easy to exactly sit it on the   fibre board 

As long as the vaporiser goes in squarely and as far as the vaporiser handle, I'm hoping it should be OK. Will let you know after my first attempt...?

Even if it is off a bit, I'm hopefull that it will still create sufficient air gap between the iron and plastic base.

Edited by Rewi1973

7 minutes ago, Rewi1973 said:

As long as the vaporiser goes in squarely and as far as the vaporiser handle, I'm hoping it should be OK. Will let you know after my first attempt...?

Even if it is off a bit, I'm hopefull that it will still create sufficient air gap between the iron and plastic base.

You can fix the melted hole with a bit of tin.

It depends on the base. The HD bases with the red disk in are a pain .

You are best to go in from the side of the front and angle to the middle to avoid trying to go over top of the red disk 

Edited by kaihoka
  • Like 1

On 1/19/2018 at 7:48 PM, Lindaloo26 said:

Totally agree HoneyHunter. Check mite loads soonish.  I sampled 25% of bees over 3 sites today.  Most nil, a few with 1 or 2.   Looking pretty clean for now. 

Got our cardboard strips cut 4000 of the suckers.  I want to place these when I have some loading of mites- a site with some mites before I start so I can sample again post treatment. 

I only believe things with my own eyes. 

Im at a crossroads with OA/GL

Ive now got two types of OA/GL strips with different modes of physical operation and as yet Im not sure which one is the best so maybe others who are treating with these systems could be mindful of the subtle differences and take note of their own experiences this Autumn.

One system uses  Pams cloth strips with OA/GL as described elsewhere

The other uses a cardboard/wood matrix which falls into the cardboard category.

These work differently from each other

The Pams cloth strips surrender their ingredient first, then the Bees remove the residual cloth and its likely that the removal of the ingredient is by both casual contact and cleaning.

The cardboard strips surrender their total weight in proportion to their incremental removal

eg when 25% of the strip is removed it will weigh 75% of its new original weight with some concessions made for moisture absorption early on, 

I propose that this cardboard system relies on Bees chewing the cardboard to somehow have an effect on the mites

My quandary is, which is the most appropriate system or method

Its very difficult for me to determine this in a short time frame

Edited by Philbee
  • Like 1
  • Good Info 1

40 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

The HD bases with the red disk in are a pain .

You are best to go in from the side of the front and angle to the middle to avoid trying to go over top of the red disk 

Ive positioned the opening at the back of the hive so I keep away from the front of the hive and the entry disks completely. 

• Like 1

Be very careful of the OA vap fumes

My entire evap system is now gathering dust in the shed

Those fumes will damage your health

• Good Info 1

Well, we bought a lot of cardboard.  The cardboard firm must think we nuts. Will be putting these in and monitoring. 

Low counts for now. Yesterday  a few 1's but most nil.  

Mites double per month? 

Jan 20 - 1 

Feb -2

March- 4 - getting close to thershold

Threshold around 2-3% that's 6-9 mites per wash. 

At a guess, place treatment Feb- and monitor 

9 hours ago, Rewi1973 said:

I don't vapourise.  I wouldn't be happy doing that to my bees. And I'm a bit agin gadgets.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Philbee said:

Be very careful of the OA vap fumes

My entire evap system is now gathering dust in the shed

Those fumes will damage your health

If you had 2 or 3 hundred hive to do it would be a slow process  with moving 20 meters away each time .

Does the OA/GL give off vapours 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I don't vapourise.  I wouldn't be happy doing that to my bees. And I'm a bit agin gadgets.

Do use the towels.

You say you dribble .

26 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

If you had 2 or 3 hundred hive to do it would be a slow process  with moving 20 meters away each time .

Does the OA/GL give off vapours 

No but I understand that the GL can aid the OA in penetrating through your skin so gloves are important

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Sorry @yesbut I got you confused with @Mark K ...