Jump to content
Courtney L Neilson

Autumn Varroa

Recommended Posts

Hey Folks,

With Autumn on the rapid approach, I would like to discuss peoples thoughts on Varroa treatment. Early? Late? 
Have heard a few people's thoughts and just want to get a gauge for when people think the best time is. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on your "treatment". Mine is in permanently. (Oxalic)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perhaps do an alchohol wash or sugar shake to ascertain your mite levels ..... then make a decision.  Having said that we started to put Apivar in today into  newbees that had been made up in Late November. Being newbees that have only been laying for a month or so  they get special treatment as they are our  early flow bees for next season and they need to be going into the winter with a rip and a roar so that the momentum carries them through the colder months. 

I did an alchohol wash yesterday on one of our Dew sites and came up with zero which is pretty nice. Not a reason for complacency though ..... just confirmation that we can  delay treating for a few weeks as we don't know the status or modus operandii of our neighbours.

I anticipate that by the second week of February as the the honey starts to come off hives in a flurry of sweat and beers the treatements will be going in.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apivar mid Feb for me . In for ten weeks . Keeps the varroa off the new winter bees, which is very important . 

Any later than that and my hives will quickly fade away as the varroa get too much of a hold . 

I am already seeing the occasional mite here and there in drone brood on the QE, which doesn’t worry me , but reminds me that they are there . 

Then sometime in June , every thing gets an oxalic dribble 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Courtney L Neilson said:

Hey Folks,

With Autumn on the rapid approach, I would like to discuss peoples thoughts on Varroa treatment. Early? Late? 
Have heard a few people's thoughts and just want to get a gauge for when people think the best time is. 

 

how long is a piece of string.

its something you need to gauge for yourself. every area is different. you need to work out your own strategy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, tristan said:

how long is a piece of string.

its something you need to gauge for yourself. every area is different. you need to work out your own strategy.

Well....Just thought I'd ask other people's opinions, see what their thoughts are, see if there were any ideas that we could mould to our situation going a head into the autumn...I thought that's what the beekeeping community was about, sharing thoughts, ideas, helping..obviously I wasn't correct there in this respect..

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This might be better off in the beginners section. Might get some more helpful responses. I would be keen to hear some ideas as well. Working out our own strategy would be easier if we aware of  the existing strategies that work.

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Courtney L Neilson said:

Well....Just thought I'd ask other people's opinions, see what their thoughts are, see if there were any ideas that we could mould to our situation going a head into the autumn...I thought that's what the beekeeping community was about, sharing thoughts, ideas, helping..obviously I wasn't correct there in this respect..

@tristan is correct.  Everyone has to work out what is best for themselves and in each area.  There is lots of threads on here about the efficacy of various non synthetic treatments.  However, there is no one out there who will say.  Do XYZ and all varroa will disappear.  If only it was that simple.

 

What works for @tristan or @yesbut or @Philbee may not work for me.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Courtney L Neilson said:

Well....Just thought I'd ask other people's opinions, see what their thoughts are, see if there were any ideas that we could mould to our situation going a head into the autumn...I thought that's what the beekeeping community was about, sharing thoughts, ideas, helping..obviously I wasn't correct there in this respect..

Far from a beginner mate :) was just genuinely interested to hear other ideas on things such as the timing of putting the strips in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Courtney L Neilson said:

Far from a beginner mate :) was just genuinely interested to hear other ideas on things such as the timing of putting the strips in. 

as far as timing goes its down to what you have already done. if your spring treatment was early your autumn will need to be to. but then you also need to account for those around that do different timing. i can't tell you what your bees and varroa are doing sitting here at a pc. you need to get in a test, see what mite levels are like and adapt from there.

 

my only suggestion is for those in high density areas to look at doing multiple mite treatment through the season.

the old twice a year treatment doesn't work well if your being re-invaded by hives down the road.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Courtney L Neilson said:

Well....Just thought I'd ask other people's opinions, see what their thoughts are, see if there were any ideas that we could mould to our situation going a head into the autumn...I thought that's what the beekeeping community was about, sharing thoughts, ideas, helping..obviously I wasn't correct there in this respect..

If you don't ask you'll never learn , and we never stop learning, so keep on asking. It's the only way we make progress in our endeavours. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jamesc said:

It's the only way we make progress in our endeavours. 

 

How do you define progress ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am doing a round of oxalic acid vapor at 5 day intervals starting tomorrow. Did a trial run last week and realised that the proximity of the plastic base to the vaporiser could be an issue so did an adjustment to the hive.

Still have to get round to reading up on glycerine and oxalic acid, but am thinking vaporisation may be my major method. Though my mind can be changed on that if someone out there knows better...

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Markypoo said:

but am thinking vaporisation may be my major method.

Definitely, the more gadgets involved the better.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, yesbut said:

Definitely, the more gadgets involved the better.

Means I don't have to open the hive up. Lord knows I hate doing that.

 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, yesbut said:

How do you define progress ?

Progress ....... Is progress  a state of mind? When you sit down at the end of the day and say 'That was Good' ..... is that progress. It might be that you've done absolutely nothing with the day but if you are happy with that .... you've progressed in your journey to peacefulness.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jamesc said:

you've progressed in your journey to peacefulness.

If peacefulness equates to happiness, I'm not sure I want to progress any further. I just can't imagine my life being any better ! :IMG_0380:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Courteny,

As a another HB beekeeper, I'll throw in my 2 cents worth. We are just now taking off our main harvest, which we will follow up with another round in about 4 weeks or so. Just removing anything that is capped at that stage for extraction. Once those last frames come out, we go straight into varroa treatment. For us it is less about mite thresholds and more about getting the hives up to maximum health again to produce nice big fat winter bees.  Bayvarol for us at this time of year, in for a minimum of 8 weeks. We monitor pollen levels coming in (which is their primary source of proteins and lipids etc) and then top up their carbs just before wintering down. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jamesc said:

Perhaps do an alchohol wash or sugar shake to ascertain your mite levels ..... then make a decision.  Having said that we started to put Apivar in today into  newbees that had been made up in Late November. Being newbees that have only been laying for a month or so  they get special treatment as they are our  early flow bees for next season and they need to be going into the winter with a rip and a roar so that the momentum carries them through the colder months. 

I did an alchohol wash yesterday on one of our Dew sites and came up with zero which is pretty nice. Not a reason for complacency though ..... just confirmation that we can  delay treating for a few weeks as we don't know the status or modus operandii of our neighbours.

I anticipate that by the second week of February as the the honey starts to come off hives in a flurry of sweat and beers the treatements will be going in.

 

 

Totally agree HoneyHunter. Check mite loads soonish.  I sampled 25% of bees over 3 sites today.  Most nil, a few with 1 or 2.   Looking pretty clean for now. 

Got our cardboard strips cut 4000 of the suckers.  I want to place these when I have some loading of mites- a site with some mites before I start so I can sample again post treatment. 

I only believe things with my own eyes. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lindaloo26 said:

 

 

Totally agree HoneyHunter. Check mite loads soonish.  I sampled 25% of bees over 3 sites today.  Most nil, a few with 1 or 2.   Looking pretty clean for now. 

Got our cardboard strips cut 4000 of the suckers.  I want to place these when I have some loading of mites- a site with some mites before I start so I can sample again post treatment. 

I only believe things with my own eyes. 

So , will your main treatment this autumn be the cardboard O/A, or is that as a final knockdown after synthetic ? I just got the invoice for our autumn Apivar ...... ouch !!

Edited by jamesc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likely dedicate some to oxalic strips.  The ones with a mite load needing attention.  No point risking all, so likely synthetic most.  Keep testing these and replacing strips. 

 

From testing, low counts for now.  It's really comforting getting an instant test result- no guess work. Also, with the hives with 1 or 2, I can re test those in 3-4 weeks and get an idea of mite increase.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m hanging out for the OA/gly PDF “how to”, keep up the good work/trials. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Markypoo said:

I am doing a round of oxalic acid vapor at 5 day intervals starting tomorrow. Did a trial run last week and realised that the proximity of the plastic base to the vaporiser could be an issue so did an adjustment to the hive.

Still have to get round to reading up on glycerine and oxalic acid, but am thinking vaporisation may be my major method. Though my mind can be changed on that if someone out there knows better...

 

You may need to put the vaporizer on a board or Jack up the hive with wedges.

Have you checked whether you have made a hole in the base .

It's a good entrance for robbers if you have 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...