Now I have to brand every box, I need the fastest option, suitable for doing it at the apiary site. 

I'm thinking of a gas heated one that burns the registration number in, but would like to hear from anyone using them about how good they are and how fast they are. And if all good, where to get one?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its ok, I do occasionally use pumice to clean my teeth though.

True. If it was Phil he would have doused in petrol then set on fire.

I had a branding iron with my bk number on it but seem to have lost it.  I just put it into the flames from a gas burner.  One thing I noticed is that it was great for branding wood, but as soon as th

I recently bought two stainless steel stencils from a sign maker. 1mm thick. I have an old deep oven tray and a bottle of petrol in the truck. When the stencil gets too much overspray on it, I lie it in the tray, pour in the petrol, give it a rub with an inch paintbrush and it comes off in seconds. Quick wipe with a rag and it's back good as gold. I use petrol because it's cheaper and easier to get than meths or thinners.

• Agree 1

I had a branding iron with my bk number on it but seem to have lost it.  I just put it into the flames from a gas burner.  One thing I noticed is that it was great for branding wood, but as soon as they were painted and you tried to brand through that paint it didn't work so well....

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
30 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Looks like a good place to buy. If going stencil, is there a minimum sized lettering or anything else I have to know when ordering?

I’ve always gone in, but I’d recommend calling at a minimum. They will have ideas you haven’t thought of (or they always have for me). They make them for all sorts of industries and no use case seems to surprise them.

If it goes as far as needing to be branded, i will buy myself a dremel tool (because I have always wanted one) and a billet of brass mounted on to a steel shaft and wooden hand grip. Use the dremel tool to carve my rego number and use a butane torch to heat. It will be way cheaper than the commercially available cnc cut options. 

There also a few suppliers on eBay.

@Alistairas far as I know @Trevor Gillbanks's wife used to make stencils for forum members and those ones look great.

Also we have here a member form Croatia/Slovenia who is a tool maker and makes banding irons. There was a tread where he posted or maybe in the directory?

I have dark boxes so a permanent marker may not be the best option for me however I can make a homemade stencil easy as and with a can of pray it will take 3 seconds to mark the boxes.

7 hours ago, Alastair said:

Now I have to brand every box, I need the fastest option, suitable for doing it at the apiary site. 

I'm thinking of a gas heated one that burns the registration number in, but would like to hear from anyone using them about how good they are and how fast they are. And if all good, where to get one?

there are some people on Trademe offering this service in the Beekeeping section