karuhi

MPI new accountability

what she says 9_9 - all true that

• Like 1

What actually is the point of all our boxes being branded or painted with our registration number or a number?  I know what all my boxes look like, regardless of whether some have been dipped or are Thermowood treated, and how they are constructed / screwed / stapled.  If it is about traceability then having a number on them doesn't add anything apart from more work.

the cooperates have to do it because of theft (mainly in there own operation)so they thought they make you do it too. (among other things)

• Agree 1

You've been popping up a little more often lately @tom sayn . Which is it, more time, new device, new glasses ?

• Haha 1

as a rich manuka producer i get bored with all that free time.

but also more access due to a number of reasons and also have to go online a lot checking orders, lab results, offers.... 

but it's also that some topics at the moment interest me while sometimes nothing really jumps at me.

sometimes i just had enough of you guys asking me nosy questions and stop posting all together.......

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 1/25/2018 at 7:17 AM, jamesc said:

So whats the point of it?

Its designed to put the onus back on us, we have to respond to MPI within twenty four hours with the form which includes the MAF (I sure MAF doesnt exist anymore despite the Apiweb site using it to ID apiary sites) ID's of where your boxes come from.   Then of course they have to work out post extraction what box and from where  caused any issues, an impossible task I would have thought for anyone in the supply chain pre and post extraction.  Next they will be asking for every box to be tested prior to extraction.

Agreed. Similar has been applied successfully to other aspects of agriculture, for example I understand that some dairy products can be tracked to the actual paddock they came from. 

But some of the new bee regs have been formulated by boffins who have never worked a commercial apiary or in a commercial extracting shed, and it shows. How does one identify which box a jar of honey came from when the boxes are extracted and honey run off into one or two ton tanks prior to packing.

All the same the intent is good, and we DO have to comply with what our customers want. But yeah some things proposed right now are unworkable, but maybe that's a part of the consultation process. And thank you New Zealand Beekeeping Incorporated for your work on this!

Edited by Alastair
  • Agree 4

9 minutes ago, Alastair said:

And thank you New Zealand Beekeeping Incorporated for your work on this!

New Zealand Beekeeping is working for the Beekeeper whereas I feel ApiNZ is all about the corporates and packers.

Could be wrong but its how I see things

• Agree 3

39 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Agreed. Similar has been applied successfully to other aspects of agriculture, for example I understand that some dairy products can be tracked to the actual paddock they came from. 

Firstly this is no different to me being able to trace my drums to the apiary it came from via the harvest dec, secondly I doubt that those dairy products can be tracked to the actual cow they came from which is the level of traceability mpi was wanting. Labelling all boxes is a waste of time and provides less traceability than what has been required on pallet cards for years.

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

look how successful traceability has been with the current Mbovis debacle !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

its such a shame that all these compliance issues are changing the spirit of bee keeping.

when my mates got into it commercially 40 years ago it was because they were looking for a living to get way from all that.

2 hours ago, Jamo said:

Firstly this is no different to me being able to trace my drums to the apiary it came from via the harvest dec, secondly I doubt that those dairy products can be tracked to the actual cow they came from which is the level of traceability mpi was wanting. Labelling all boxes is a waste of time and provides less traceability than what has been required on pallet cards for years.

how or who going to police ,who has numbers on there honey super ,if your brand them and then paint over they are some time hard to see 

On 1/25/2018 at 7:39 AM, frazzledfozzle said:

Whats the point of anything that comes out of MPI ?

honestly they are the biggest bunch of winners I havre ever come across.

all the talk of growing a billion dollar industry and they are doing everything they can to bring it too it’s knees... plonkers

I suspect that one of the main problems is that MPI have very limited understanding of the industry and what it takes to produce Honey

In fact not only is their comprehension of the industry limited but they likely see us as a bunch of barbarians which of course is a further indication of their limitations not ours.

• Haha 1

On 1/18/2018 at 2:23 PM, Alastair said:

Looks like I'll have to get busy :/

Might be quickest to get one of those branding iron things.

I got one made up a few years back 900$ now I'm just branding the 70% of my boxes that werent done prior to xtractionxtraction. What a headache. (From paint fumes that is)

• Like 1

Thanks Maru, as a quick fix I got a couple of stencils from Trevor. Just doing boxes in the apiary on site, at least it's quick.

Something that impressed me from what Chris Valentine said when he had some bees stolen recently, the thiefs took all the frames out of his hives but left the boxes. They also left all the frames that were branded, he had hot branded them. Which indicates that branding of frames may be a great theft deterrant. If branded frames were stolen, it would be high risk to sell them on Trade Me, it would also be high risk to keep them.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1