karuhi

MPI new accountability

Just wondering what others are doing or planning  to do to become compliant with the new standards?

They may change some of the blather over what is or isn't Manuka, but i can't see anything changing on the hive supers and numbering.

The whole paddock to plate thing is ridiculous - But.....

I wondered if going along with a cow tag pen was acceptable or am i going to have to create Q codes and stick them to boxes?.

And is anyone using or looked at using the software that the kiwi crew has put together?. Actually is anyone using some kind of computer based software, and if so what one?

There was some discussion on this somewhere else recently and it seems all that is required is to have your rego number on your supers. All ours are branded so we dont have to change anything.

initially I thought that each honey super had to have its own unique number but that wasn’t  the case :)

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Thanks frazzledfozzle - i'll do a better search.

I interpreted it to mean every super as well - pleased that's not the case. 

i have my anti theft - i'm a local stencil with all the particulars on it, that i have always used on the brood boxes but usually nothing on the supers. 

Come to think of it most if not all of the big commercials never have an ID on sites here, convita just has their barcode thingie.

cheers

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

There was some discussion on this somewhere else recently and it seems all that is required is to have your rego number on your supers. 

As in, every super? I have avoided that as selling bees all my supers eventually go to other beekeepers.

• Like 1

@Alastair I’m pretty sure every super it also said that when selling on your boxes your number should still be visible but a line through it. 

Thanks. Well if that's the rules, that's the rules.

Is putting the number on with a Posca pen OK?

Just now, Alastair said:

Thanks. Well if that's the rules, that's the rules.

Is putting the number on with a Posca pen OK?

Could that be deemed permanent?

does it really matter ?

Looks like I'll have to get busy :/

Might be quickest to get one of those branding iron things.

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

From their website

73F00404-92D3-4116-9D86-643D06386274.png

Thanks @frazzledfozzle that is pretty clear.  Reg No. only 

I have all my boxes stencil spray paint numbered and most of my frames branded.  All boxes are branded on the inside.

4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Alastair I’m pretty sure every super it also said that when selling on your boxes your number should still be visible but a line through it. 

Thanks frazzledfozzle you prompted me to re-read the notice, Alastair may be in the clear as the notice applies to the following:

Ministry for Primary Industries Page 6 of 29
Part 1: Preliminary provisions
1.1 Application
(1) This Notice applies to:
a) all bee products intended for export; and
b) all beekeepers supplying bee products for export; and
c) all operators of premises carrying out secondary processing of bee products for export; and
d) all exporters of bee products; and
e) all operators of recognised laboratories that carry out laboratory tests for the purposes of Parts 5 and 6 of this Notice.
(2) To avoid doubt:
a) this Notice covers all bee product exports regardless of whether the importing countries require official assurances or not; and
b) export includes selling bee products to overseas buyers using the internet platform; and
c) the term “mānuka” (i.e. with the macron), “manuka” (i.e. without the macron) and “maanuka” are the same term with the same meaning for the purposes of this Notice.

• Good Info 1

The writing from this lasts years and doesn’t fade on paint 

8EE122DE-83EF-415A-A797-3F430D47B737.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2

48 minutes ago, M4tt said:

The writing from this lasts years and doesn’t fade on paint 

8EE122DE-83EF-415A-A797-3F430D47B737.jpeg

used one of these to number some boxes 20 years ago and the writing is still as clear as ever

• Like 2

Yes @BJC It’s talking about honey supers not brood boxes.

but if you produce honey with the honey supers they need to be marked if you then sell those honey supers as honey supers or turn them into brood boxes and sell them they should still be marked...... I think !

Hmmmm ..... With beauracracy I generally take the view of not to panic too much in the first instance and carry on as usual as generally someone smarter than myself will work out how it all works  and tell the world and then we can take action with little stress. I think it's called the path of least resistance.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 3

When you consider that hundreds of tons of Beach honeydew et cetera has been sold by beekeepers to certain packers and then sold by said packers as manuka and yet despite all the paper trails MPI can't or won't follow-up I shouldn't think the odd box without a number will come to their attention. As I read it you could put a stencil of a Playboy bunny on every box and as long as its your stencil the only one who will get upset as the ghost of Hugh Hefner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes well , the price of dew has collapsed from a high of $14.00/kg two years ago. Some days i think the powers that be should just stop meddlin in stuff that  furnishes a living to the peasants who keep the wheels of the country turning and concentrate thier energy on penguins and electric 50 Heavies.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, john berry said:

When you consider that hundreds of tons of Beach honeydew et cetera has been sold by beekeepers to certain packers and then sold by said packers as manuka and yet despite all the paper trails MPI can't or won't follow-up I shouldn't think the odd box without a number will come to their attention. As I read it you could put a stencil of a Playboy bunny on every box and as long as its your stencil the only one who will get upset as the ghost of Hugh Hefner.

Yes well ..... I have a yard with forty something unknown beehives dumped twenty meters away . If the offending hives  had a playboy bunny stencil on them i might be persuaded to make more effort to talk to their owner!

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes @BJC It’s talking about honey supers not brood boxes.

but if you produce honey with the honey supers they need to be marked if you then sell those honey supers as honey supers or turn them into brood boxes and sell them they should still be marked...... I think !

That's a valid interpretation, if Alastair though did not use the supers with the intention of producing honey for export and only bred bees and sold the nucs then I dont think it would apply.  I see also the numbering requirement is not required until December 2018 although the company I took my honey supers was in every way compliant with the new documentation using the MAF codes for apiary sites as identification.

• Like 1

Thanks BJC, I do a bit of honey though so do want to comply. The other guys can just cross the number out and everybody's happy.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I bought an electric branding iron from a Beekeeping equipment supplier on Trade Me, which is heavy duty and excellent to use. I am branding everything. I figure that not only covers MPI traceability but also means I can ID every box and every frame as mine. For a semi-commercial operation it is practical in terms of the time required and the cost of $800 is a reasonable depreciable expense.  

• Like 2
  • Good Info 2

Your board? I thought you are the board.

• Haha 1

On 1/19/2018 at 8:44 AM, milkandhoney said:

For what it's worth, I bought an electric branding iron from a Beekeeping equipment supplier on Trade Me, which is heavy duty and excellent to use. I am branding everything. I figure that not only covers MPI traceability but also means I can ID every box and every frame as mine. For a semi-commercial operation it is practical in terms of the time required and the cost of $800 is a reasonable depreciable expense.  

Well yes ... it tracks the boxes to the owner, but can the brand track the boxes to the sites and record moveement of site to site .... if you are  gypsy ?

5 hours ago, jamesc said:

Well yes ... it tracks the boxes to the owner, but can the brand track the boxes to the sites and record moveement of site to site .... if you are  gypsy ?

It doesnt have too to meet MPI requirements. 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

So whats the point of it?