MPI new accountability

Just wondering what others are doing or planning  to do to become compliant with the new standards?

They may change some of the blather over what is or isn't Manuka, but i can't see anything changing on the hive supers and numbering.

The whole paddock to plate thing is ridiculous - But.....

I wondered if going along with a cow tag pen was acceptable or am i going to have to create Q codes and stick them to boxes?.

And is anyone using or looked at using the software that the kiwi crew has put together?. Actually is anyone using some kind of computer based software, and if so what one?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had your view confirmed Frazz by a senior ApiNZ person who told me that since "most commercial beekeepers are packers anyway, it doesn't matter about protection of just beekeepers or if honey gets i

Whats the point of anything that comes out of MPI ? honestly they are the biggest bunch of winners I havre ever come across. all the talk of growing a billion dollar industry and they are do

Hmmmm ..... With beauracracy I generally take the view of not to panic too much in the first instance and carry on as usual as generally someone smarter than myself will work out how it all works  and

Posted Images

There was some discussion on this somewhere else recently and it seems all that is required is to have your rego number on your supers. All ours are branded so we dont have to change anything.

initially I thought that each honey super had to have its own unique number but that wasn’t  the case :)

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1

Thanks frazzledfozzle - i'll do a better search.

I interpreted it to mean every super as well - pleased that's not the case. 

i have my anti theft - i'm a local stencil with all the particulars on it, that i have always used on the brood boxes but usually nothing on the supers. 

Come to think of it most if not all of the big commercials never have an ID on sites here, convita just has their barcode thingie.

cheers

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

There was some discussion on this somewhere else recently and it seems all that is required is to have your rego number on your supers. 

As in, every super? I have avoided that as selling bees all my supers eventually go to other beekeepers.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

@Alastair I’m pretty sure every super it also said that when selling on your boxes your number should still be visible but a line through it. 

Thanks frazzledfozzle you prompted me to re-read the notice, Alastair may be in the clear as the notice applies to the following:

Ministry for Primary Industries Page 6 of 29
Part 1: Preliminary provisions
1.1 Application
(1) This Notice applies to:
a) all bee products intended for export; and
b) all beekeepers supplying bee products for export; and
c) all operators of premises carrying out secondary processing of bee products for export; and
d) all exporters of bee products; and
e) all operators of recognised laboratories that carry out laboratory tests for the purposes of Parts 5 and 6 of this Notice.
(2) To avoid doubt:
a) this Notice covers all bee product exports regardless of whether the importing countries require official assurances or not; and
b) export includes selling bee products to overseas buyers using the internet platform; and
c) the term “mānuka” (i.e. with the macron), “manuka” (i.e. without the macron) and “maanuka” are the same term with the same meaning for the purposes of this Notice.

• Good Info 1

Hmmmm ..... With beauracracy I generally take the view of not to panic too much in the first instance and carry on as usual as generally someone smarter than myself will work out how it all works  and tell the world and then we can take action with little stress. I think it's called the path of least resistance.

• Agree 2
  • Haha 3

When you consider that hundreds of tons of Beach honeydew et cetera has been sold by beekeepers to certain packers and then sold by said packers as manuka and yet despite all the paper trails MPI can't or won't follow-up I shouldn't think the odd box without a number will come to their attention. As I read it you could put a stencil of a Playboy bunny on every box and as long as its your stencil the only one who will get upset as the ghost of Hugh Hefner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Yes well , the price of dew has collapsed from a high of $14.00/kg two years ago. Some days i think the powers that be should just stop meddlin in stuff that  furnishes a living to the peasants who keep the wheels of the country turning and concentrate thier energy on penguins and electric 50 Heavies.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, john berry said:

When you consider that hundreds of tons of Beach honeydew et cetera has been sold by beekeepers to certain packers and then sold by said packers as manuka and yet despite all the paper trails MPI can't or won't follow-up I shouldn't think the odd box without a number will come to their attention. As I read it you could put a stencil of a Playboy bunny on every box and as long as its your stencil the only one who will get upset as the ghost of Hugh Hefner.

Yes well ..... I have a yard with forty something unknown beehives dumped twenty meters away . If the offending hives  had a playboy bunny stencil on them i might be persuaded to make more effort to talk to their owner!

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes @BJC It’s talking about honey supers not brood boxes.

but if you produce honey with the honey supers they need to be marked if you then sell those honey supers as honey supers or turn them into brood boxes and sell them they should still be marked...... I think !

That's a valid interpretation, if Alastair though did not use the supers with the intention of producing honey for export and only bred bees and sold the nucs then I dont think it would apply.  I see also the numbering requirement is not required until December 2018 although the company I took my honey supers was in every way compliant with the new documentation using the MAF codes for apiary sites as identification.

• Like 1

For what it's worth, I bought an electric branding iron from a Beekeeping equipment supplier on Trade Me, which is heavy duty and excellent to use. I am branding everything. I figure that not only covers MPI traceability but also means I can ID every box and every frame as mine. For a semi-commercial operation it is practical in terms of the time required and the cost of $800 is a reasonable depreciable expense.  

• Like 2
  • Good Info 2
On 1/19/2018 at 8:44 AM, milkandhoney said:

For what it's worth, I bought an electric branding iron from a Beekeeping equipment supplier on Trade Me, which is heavy duty and excellent to use. I am branding everything. I figure that not only covers MPI traceability but also means I can ID every box and every frame as mine. For a semi-commercial operation it is practical in terms of the time required and the cost of $800 is a reasonable depreciable expense.  

Well yes ... it tracks the boxes to the owner, but can the brand track the boxes to the sites and record moveement of site to site .... if you are  gypsy ?