Fungi and non chemical treatment of Varroa and other illnesses.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a great podcast with Paul Stamets. He goes into more detail about how he discovered the fungi treatment for bees, as well as some other really entertaining yarns about his mushroom hat, magic

I've been collecting Pollypore mushrooms want to get a trial set up this winter just got to extract the goods. Just checked my silver Birch logs going to be a bit before I get any meaningful amounts.

Just fomes formentarius in syrup latest Spring and this Autumn

Posted Images

I've been collecting Pollypore mushrooms want to get a trial set up this winter just got to extract the goods. Just checked my silver Birch logs going to be a bit before I get any meaningful amounts.

IMG_20180116_101155.thumb.jpg.46ebfbd8ae40e7df7c6779413dd66c8e.jpg

Edited by glynn
  • Like 2
12 minutes ago, Daniel Benefield said:

Will you be trying one or multiple species?

I've got a few different Pollypores and I have 100 nucs in different parts of Canterbury over wintering in another little project I may add in another few with this in them. 

@Daniel Benefield have a look at this one also. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17203363

Dr. Mark Goodwin tell of some research he did that stopped due to a lack of funding, Now surely the NZ Govt innovation fund would go for something like that it would have major impact internationally. 

Have a listen to Mark on RadioNZ https://www.radionz.co.nz/national/programmes/ourchangingworld/audio/1737559/bees-in-decline

• Like 1
4 hours ago, glynn said:

I've got a few different Pollypores and I have 100 nucs in different parts of Canterbury over wintering in another little project I may add in another few with this in them. 

Polypores dont infuse easily.

I suspect the best approach is a long warm soak (days)

I haven't tried with anything other than water then sugar syrup

2 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Polypores dont infuse easily.

I suspect the best approach is a long warm soak (days)

I haven't tried with anything other than water then sugar syrup

I had planned on leaving them to soak on the cold side of the cooker for a few days.

But I might need to do each kind of mushroom

1 hour ago, glynn said:

I had planned on leaving them to soak on the cold side of the cooker for a few days.

But I might need to do each kind of mushroom

I have commented before that the Polypore needs to be cut very finely to aid infusion.

A soaked chunk will waste a lot of mushroom.

I think some folks strip the ingredients out with solvents 

I have a food processor in hand long story short mum has a flash new one and I have her somewhat newish but very second hand one was going to try the grater attachment and freeze the polly.

What did you use for yours some talk about soaking in alcohol and then the hot water soak after.

4 hours ago, Philbee said:

Just fomes formentarius in syrup latest Spring and this Autumn

How do you identify Fomes fomentarius or rather differentiate the from other Fomes?

2 hours ago, Philbee said:

This is diced Fomes formentarius 

In order to do any type of work with this Mushroom it needs to be first diced with Tungsten cutters at hi speed.

Its an immensely tough fibrous material

Did you use a wood chipper?

45 minutes ago, Daniel Benefield said:

How do you identify Fomes fomentarius or rather differentiate the from other Fomes?

Did you use a wood chipper?

These are what I get.
Although mine tend to be much darker.

The only way to dice it is with a tungsten saw or gang of saws.

A Dado will do but it is dangerous.

Image result for fomes fomentarius , nz

Edited by Philbee
  • Good Info 1
15 hours ago, glynn said:

I have a food processor in hand long story short mum has a flash new one and I have her somewhat newish but very second hand one was going to try the grater attachment and freeze the polly.

What did you use for yours some talk about soaking in alcohol and then the hot water soak after.

Tungsten Dado blade, very dangerous but effective, not reconmended

• Stirrer 1