• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, been awhile since posting - but i now have an opinion i'd like to add ...... Being in the thick of tai tokerau - i think "maori" agenda is the same as Pakeha agenda - make money & gai

As large stakeholders Maori have a vested interest in the definition, just like all the other stakeholders. My point relates to where Maori are headed with their stake, whats their end game or ag

I think manuka honey is the perfect symbol of a united New Zealand - Manuka (a native plant) and  honey bees (a European import) combine to make something special.

1 hour ago, Philbee said:

Maybe they are after an Autumn feed crop and lack alternatives.

Is there any koromiko type Autumn feed in there?

Just a suspicion but I suspect that next season is going to be full of surprises.

No matter what happens this season Im focusing on going into next season with as many good hives as I can possibly manage, this has been my plan all season to the extent that this season Ive not used any Queen excluders on any production hives. 

This makes the hives perfect for splitting 

I missed the boat on getting QE's on early enough (and at all) on a few sites this season.  It has meant that harvesting honey has been painful on those sites.  Still, when you've got three boxes left with good amounts of brood all through them you may have missed out on some honey but great for splits, as you say, so that's the new plan there.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, kaihoka said:

No just putting them in.

We all mystified .

my guess it's just typical big operation issues.

on the upper floor it was decided that the hive go there by helicopter after they come out somewhere else.

so it took this long to harvest and now the bees have to go somewhere and that's what has been arranged prior.

it's nothing unusual for some operators to turn up after the flow.

they have to be seen to make at least an effort to fulfill their part of the contract i guess.

33 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

my guess it's just typical big operation issues.

on the upper floor it was decided that the hive go there by helicopter after they come out somewhere else.

so it took this long to harvest and now the bees have to go somewhere and that's what has been arranged prior.

it's nothing unusual for some operators to turn up after the flow.

they have to be seen to make at least an effort to fulfill their part of the contract i guess.

i suppose they think they have to hold their spot.

they got nothing out of it last year.

how do you get yourself into a situation where you can afford to just follow the plan regardless of whether you loose money.

i am envious, my life is certainly not like that.

I do love scheming different possible scenarios for these "helicopter hives" 

my pick is they harvested their Manuka crop straight after flowering... re boxed and have smashed a juicy crop of rata... what Kaihoka saw flying in was in fact fresh boxes for the rata flow.. 

who really knows what they're up to. 

As far as losing money goes, how do you know what next season will bring, you have to just suck up the bad ones and throw yourself in it again and hope the stars align I recon. 

11 minutes ago, Stoney said:

I do love scheming different possible scenarios for these "helicopter hives" 

my pick is they harvested their Manuka crop straight after flowering... re boxed and have smashed a juicy crop of rata... what Kaihoka saw flying in was in fact fresh boxes for the rata flow.. 

who really knows what they're up to. 

As far as losing money goes, how do you know what next season will bring, you have to just suck up the bad ones and throw yourself in it again and hope the stars align I recon. 

Not fresh boxes.

I was talking to the guy that works on the farm they were flown in from.

They could not fly from last year's farm so they went to the trouble of finding a different farm .

They were keen 

Ah so mama komosahbe ... the plot thickens.  Most of us are thinking pulling honey and winter and others are flyin in  to a flow .    Hmmmm .  We may have to fly out to relocate to a flow if the rain does'nt play nice. Even for a mighty MAN the water was quite deep getting in.

Edited by jamesc
2 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Ok so scenario #2.... possibly they skipped Manuka in there this year maybe due to Farmer contract obligations and flew some hives in for the Rata once they had the hives available...post Manuka.. 

Yes butt ..... the Rat is almost done .... woud'nt pay the bus fare .....

Just now, Stoney said:

#3... they're not beekeepers at all but in fact stealthily growing huge crops of cannabis using hollowed out quads to hide their gear going in and the goodies coming out... 

Ah ..... BIG SIGH ..... Now youis talking.  Shhh.

7 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Ok so scenario #2.... possibly they skipped Manuka in there this year maybe due to Farmer contract obligations and flew some hives in for the Rata once they had the hives available...post Manuka.. 

It's on doc land .

No farmer contract , farm just a landing spot.

There may still be rata  flowering there. It's higher and inland.

It may be later and still going .

I shall find out how they went at the end of the season .

3 minutes ago, Stoney said:

How long do you recons left in it in southwest land Jamesc? 

'bout three riggers ?   No seriously .... the blossom is getting higher and higher. I know on the manuka we put our bees at 700m foraging distance. We  got bees on rata with a climb of nearly 2k and they are still pulling it.  Couple of weeks if the weather is kind. 

Edited by jamesc
8 minutes ago, Stoney said:

#3... they're not beekeepers at all but in fact stealthily growing huge crops of cannabis using hollowed out quads to hide their gear going in and the goodies coming out... 

Could be , they would be a bit late for that too :8_laughing:

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

It's on doc land .

No farmer contract , farm just a landing spot.

There may still be rata  flowering there. It's higher and inland.

It may be later and still going .

I shall find out how they went at the end of the season .

Do you know the beekeepers? 

The bloom will climb the hill. 

I'll be over the coast all next week with my crew, looking forward to seeing my bees as haven't cracked their lids since Manuka harvest in dec, and loaded them on big rigs... a few nights in the swags spinning yarns, smoking darts and breaking hearts.. ?

1 minute ago, Stoney said:

I'll be over the coast all next week with my crew, looking forward to seeing my bees as haven't cracked their lids since Manuka harvest in dec, and loaded them on big rigs... a few nights in the swags spinning yarns, smoking darts and breaking hearts.. ?

Oh ... youis a poet .... I like that ... smoking darts and breaking hearts .   Might see you down in the swamp eh ?