Manuka definition

http://mailchi.mp/e1835c19935a/apinz-member-update-manuka-1325813?e=bbae088400

Breaking news!!!!! Here’s an executive summary outlining the key points pertaining to the concerns around the Manuka definition put forward by MPI.

“Meeting held to discuss MPI mānuka honey definition”
From the CE – Karin Kos

On Friday, 12 January, a meeting was held in Wellington and facilitated by the Federation of Māori Authorities (FOMA) to discuss MPI’s definition on mānuka honey in Wellington. The meeting was co-hosted by key industry associations including Apiculture New Zealand.

FOMA called the meeting in response to Māori and industry concerns in relation to MPI’s mānuka honey definition. The hui was well attended by a good representative cross section of our industry. While there will be a full set of minutes available, given the immediate interest in this issue I have summarised the key themes and actions, and outlined some matters below that members need to be aware of. 

Key themes from the day:

Industry support for a regulatory definition

There is widespread support for the requirement for a robust regulatory definition for mānuka honey – we all want a definition that will protect the authenticity of genuine mānuka honey and help facilitate growth in this premium market niche.
Critically and as part of that though, the needs and interests of our markets and consumers need to be kept front and centre of any regulatory definition for mānuka honey.
In addressing the issues with the current proposed definition it is critical that we (the wider industry, together with Māori) stay focused, maintain unity and move forward together as we work through the implications of the definition.
Impact of the decision
There is a significant economic impact which will need to be defined and quantified. This includes the immediate commercial impact on existing inventories, future values and revenue streams, but also how it affects the ongoing investment environment within, e.g., projected capital investment not taking place.
We heard from Business and Economic Research Limited (BERL) who are undertaking work for FOMA on the economic impact of the definition. It is critical that we assemble as much robust supply chain and value chain data to input into this process as we can.
MPI did not undertake any comprehensive economic impact analysis into the outcomes of this decision, which should have been part of the process.
MPI have likewise not undertaken any assessment of how this decision will impact on individual regions, or between seasons.
For the longer term, there was general agreement that as a sector we need to get better at collecting economic information in order to be able to effectively tell our story.
Reaction to the decision
It is projected that the proposed definition will impact most directly on honey in the current multi-floral and blend part of the honey spectrum, but also cause outlier results or misclassification of some high purity mānuka through the DNA test
Participants at the meeting expressed concerns that any such honey, whether genuine mānuka or not, would be exported in bulk for blending, packaging and labelling off-shore to avoid having to comply with the MPI definition.
Independent science and better process
There is an immediate need to get in front of Government and ask for an independent review of the science behind the proposed definition, and pause the decision until that review is completed.
Over the long-term we reset the science process so that it is independent and works for industry and government. This could include building a national library of honey samples, a registry of peer reviewed and published science, and leading the world in best-practice science.
The science behind identifying individual floral honey types is rapidly evolving and improving. The regulatory definition needs to be future proofed, to enable the definition to incorporate developments and improvements in science.
Disappointment and frustration was experienced with the process that MPI has run to determine a scientific definition for mānuka honey, and we need much more transparent and genuinely consultative engagement.
Mānuka honey and its importance to New Zealand
The story of New Zealand mānuka honey, its cultural relevance and importance to Māori, along with the critical role it is expected to play in regional economic development, were highlighted at the meeting.
This story needs to have political cut-through and be elevated to a wider Government audience.
We have made significant progress in progressing initiatives to protect the word mānuka for genuine mānuka honey from New Zealand, following a landmark decision by the UK Trade Mark Registry to accept the term mānuka honey as being eligible for certification trademarking. This can as always be challenged by competitors as part of the next steps in the process and we are waiting to see who will be challenging the decision.  
Legal challenge to MPI decision
At the meeting, a lawyer from Wynn Williams Lawyers presented on a proposal to challenge the definition that would involve applying to the Court for interim relief to suspend the Notice introducing the new definition for mānuka honey. Attached is the flier outlining the case.

While we understand individual companies’ right to take legal action given the concerns that have been expressed by beekeepers and companies in relation to the new definition, as the industry body we will not be adding our name to this legal challenge. Our preference is always to find a way to work through the issues and consider the long-term view. It is also important that we continue to have an unhindered relationship with Government across all industry issues as we represent a wide mandate across commercial and non-commercial beekeepers, marketers and packers, and associated organisations.

Next steps
As the wider group of industry associations and FOMA, we will take a fully united approach to Government and ask for a pause in the implementation of this definition to allow for an independent review of the science.
We are meeting MPI’s science team this week to help industry understand the rationale behind the decision to increase the 2-MAP marker threshold from 1 to 5.
An independent Economic Impact Analysis, commissioned by FOMA, will get underway to better understand and demonstrate the impact on industry and get this in front of Government.
The industry associations and FOMA will also follow up the meeting to discuss and implement any additional steps we may need to take both in the short term and longer term to build a more consistent, industry-led story.

• Good Info 2
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all, been awhile since posting - but i now have an opinion i'd like to add ...... Being in the thick of tai tokerau - i think "maori" agenda is the same as Pakeha agenda - make money & gai

As large stakeholders Maori have a vested interest in the definition, just like all the other stakeholders. My point relates to where Maori are headed with their stake, whats their end game or ag

I think manuka honey is the perfect symbol of a united New Zealand - Manuka (a native plant) and  honey bees (a European import) combine to make something special.

Well that sure is interesting.

with not having heard anything from anyone complaining about the new standard I assumed everyone was happy.

it seems that isn’t so....

@Alanbee the Manuka honey info sheet isn’t working ?

and do you know who is hiring the lawyers to challenge the standard ?

could be another year of not being able to sell honey because no one knows what the standard will be!!!

meanwhile in Australia........

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Thanks 1

Lol

Remember the Govt submission/ survey we recently saw on this site, well this is whats behind it.

Interesting, especially this bit (the wider industry, together with Māori)

At the risk of seeming separatist, or at least as separatist as the phrase in brackets, I would exercise caution here and Im sure if the boot was on the other foot Maori would make the same point, that is what the Maori lobbyists want is industry support for a separatist agenda.

Edited by Philbee

Yes @Philbee I know exactly what you are saying I think we all need to be aware of what may be going on in the background regarding Maori and Manuka / Manuka Honey / and the word Manuka.

I would like to think the fact that the honey bee was never part of the pre European Māori world would hold some sway but I very much doubt it. 

Or or maybe that’s not what you were alluding too and is just my take on things 

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Yes @Philbee I know exactly what you are saying I think we all need to be aware of what may be going on in the background regarding Maori and Manuka / Manuka Honey / and the word Manuka.

I would like to think the fact that the honey bee was never a part of the pre European Māori world would hold some sway but I very much doubt it. 

Or or maybe that’s not what you were alluding too and is just my take on things 

As large stakeholders Maori have a vested interest in the definition, just like all the other stakeholders.

My point relates to where Maori are headed with their stake, whats their end game or agenda if you like?
I like the Management lesson about the bird that refused to fly toward the equator in winter 

Three of the lessons teach that not everyone that shat on you is your enemy,  not everyone who helps you out is your friend and if you are happy in a pile of poo, keep your mouth shut.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
13 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Well that sure is interesting.

with not having heard anything from anyone complaining about the new standard I assumed everyone was happy.

it seems that isn’t so....

We talked about this a few weeks ago https://www.nzbees.net/forums/topic/11364-manuka-standards/?page=10&tab=comments#comment-183671

"Did you notice how those calling for changes to the standard, especially re. the DNA part of the standard, have been silent on the matter????

I expect they are working away in the background refining their evidence. We haven't heard the last on this, I predict there will be more to come. Watch this space haha!"

"The part of the standard that was most protested about wasn't changed, and those protesting haven't protested since. 

Ya think that equates to passive acceptance? Yeah right... [reaches for a Tui!]"

They were holding it in, boiling away like a dormant volcano waiting to vent!

The new rules must be making some in the inindustry confident.

The helicopter hives flew into The back country down the coast a week ago.,

Which surprised us locals because the season started early and is nearly finished in the Bush .

They must know something we don't 

On 1/15/2018 at 10:43 PM, Alanbee said:

as the industry body we will not be adding our name to this legal challenge. Our preference is always to find a way to work through the issues and consider the long-term view. It is also important that we continue to have an unhindered relationship with Government across all industry issues as we represent a wide mandate across commercial and non-commercial beekeepers, marketers and packers, and associated organisations.

Interesting that the industry body that is representing beekeepers is staying on the sidelines. 

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
21 hours ago, kaihoka said:

Which surprised us locals because the season started early and is nearly finished in the Bush .

maybe they snuck em in a while ago and are pulling them out ?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, karuhi said:

Hi all, been awhile since posting - but i now have an opinion i'd like to add ......

Being in the thick of tai tokerau - i think "maori" agenda is the same as Pakeha agenda - make money & gain sustainability - of the brand as well as the manuka plant. 

to talk of a separatist agenda stinks of racism, red neck chest beating, and more ridiculous conspiracy theories.

It's not needed nor wanted

of course this is purely my opinion :3_grin:     

Red neck saying came from the Southern states of America and the working men and woman in the fields are we as Beekeepers not a kim to those very same people. The issues remain the same in many way.

On 1/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, kaihoka said:

Maybe they're chasing Rata or something? 

Making use of their DoC consessions..  

1 hour ago, Stoney said:

Maybe they are after an Autumn feed crop and lack alternatives.

Is there any koromiko type Autumn feed in there?

Just a suspicion but I suspect that next season is going to be full of surprises.

No matter what happens this season Im focusing on going into next season with as many good hives as I can possibly manage, this has been my plan all season to the extent that this season Ive not used any Queen excluders on any production hives. 

This makes the hives perfect for splitting 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
20 minutes ago, Philbee said:

Maybe they are after an Autumn feed crop and lack alternatives.

Is there any koromiko type Autumn feed in there?

Just a suspicion but I suspect that next season is going to be full of surprises.

No matter what happens this season Im focusing on going into next season with as many good hives as I can possibly manage, this has been my plan all season to the extent that this season Ive not used any Queen excluders on any production hives. 

This makes the hives perfect for splitting 

Expensive feed honey I would say. No queen excluders ..... you must be a very patient man !!

Edited by jamesc
2 hours ago, Stoney said:

Rata is pretty much finished here. Maybe that's why they waited .

But Manuka is finished too. But they may get the white rata vine  and lancewood.

I have heard they move their hives down the country as the season progresses .

The hives are deep in back country . No farms near by.

They have scales on some of the hives so they can see how they are going.

The info must go out on a satellite phone .