Lithium chloride efectively kills the honey bee parasite Varroa destructor by a systemic mode of action

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey yes of course !  Whip the case off your old laptop battery, soak it in bleach and tip the liquid into your feed honey ! Way to go !! On the other hand, my oa towels seem to be the cat's pyjam

its just saying they found a new chemical substance that kills mites, but not the bees they sit on. Itll be some years before a company will bring up a product based on it. Maybe something to be mixed

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-19137-5.pdf

But you have to feed it in sugar syrup for at least 3 days (and the research indicated it may not have bee long enough. Not sure if it is more effective than say oxalic acid fogging. Would be an interesting comparison.

Plus the tests were done on brood free artificial swarms. Early days in this line of study I would imagine. Could be another tool though in the future.

Edited by Markypoo
  • Agree 1

its just saying they found a new chemical substance that kills mites, but not the bees they sit on. Itll be some years before a company will bring up a product based on it. Maybe something to be mixed with sugar water. theyll make a fortune out of it. Im sure theres a patent pending somewhere already.

just keep it feeding over a whole brood cycle and most mites will be gone.

That said, its just ANOTHER chemical to treat against a parasite. Eventually the mites will become resistant to it too. There is no way around varroa immune Bees in the long run.

• Agree 2

Interesting, works on the bees by ingestion and not in the brood.  Possibly an option to include in syrup in early Spring stimulatory feeding 2L over an approx 24 hour period.  24 hours appears to offer the best mite kill and lowest effect on bee mortality.  Still plenty of work to be done on research and refining its use.  

25 minutes ago, Dave Black said:

Yes, I've read the paper. Potentially very useful, it was a lucky discovery. Work to do still. Was there something in particular..? 

just checking if you had seen it.

as with all treatments it will be interesting to see if there is any contamination issues. still its early days.

10 minutes ago, tristan said:

... as with all treatments it will be interesting to see if there is any contamination issues.

Yes, but I don't think so. LiCl is well-known, particularly as medicine for humans. There will be the usual problem with amateur chemists of course. ;)

12 minutes ago, Dave Black said:

Yes, but I don't think so. LiCl is well-known, particularly as medicine for humans. There will be the usual problem with amateur chemists of course. ;)

thats handy, should speed things up a bit.

yeah, i can just see people ripping open lithium batteries to make varroa treatment :(

37 minutes ago, Dave Black said:

There will be the usual problem with amateur chemists of course. ;)

Hey yes of course !  Whip the case off your old laptop battery, soak it in bleach and tip the liquid into your feed honey ! Way to go !!

On the other hand, my oa towels seem to be the cat's pyjamas..

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 3