Jump to content

NewBee buying Bees however Im a little take back and unsure


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You got taken for a ride. You were right in expecting 5 frames in each nuc. I have never heard of anyone selling nucs with virgin queens, that’s just really weird. 

the whole thing sounds weird. virgin queens IN a nuc ?? ???? really, he intends to use your bees ?? going into a partnership ???   plus the sellers record is not very good.

No. Not you @Alanbee.  The seller on trade me. Those nuc's are a rip off. as has been pointed out.

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, Alanbee said:

At this point I don't feel the need to do anything let the guy save face maybe he can learn something from this as he's a younger bloke.

I hope he hasn’t spent the money already. That will make it very difficult to make the situation right.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dansar said:

I hope he hasn’t spent the money already. That will make it very difficult to make the situation right.

He has agreed to a refund so lets see, he claims he has been working for an Apiary for 2 years..

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Alanbee said:

He has agreed to a refund so lets see, he claims he has been working for an Apiary for 2 years..

 

Good on him for doing the right thing. I would provide him with the feedback you got from here on what makes a Nuc.

  • Agree 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You are doing him a favour. It will not cost him anything, he can take the nucs back, work on them and turn them into well stocked, queenright nucs, and once they are up to saleable standard he can sell them.

 

The favour, is to him, learning what is acceptable, and how to be accountable. Which will help him build a business, and the right kind of reputation, in the future.

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alastair said:

You are doing him a favour. It will not cost him anything, he can take the nucs back, work on them and turn them into well stocked, queenright nucs, and once they are up to saleable standard he can sell them.

 

The favour, is to him, learning what is acceptable, and how to be accountable. Which will help him build a business, and the right kind of reputation, in the future.

Everyones a winner if we take the lessons from it. Time to go build some more Hives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Alanbee said:

Im to green to know the difference, yes I admit it, I have a very good friend who ran 1800 hives for 30 years he showed me something that would give me honey and string me if I didn't treat it right. Some years later in my late teens I helped him build his honey house. A great mentor and friend respected by many. 

Hi @Alanbee I have just had a browse through trademe and as a generalisation, I’m pretty shocked to see what is being auctioned , in the North Island listings.

Have a look at the Nuc on the forum in 

Tradebee

This is what a Nuc should look like and the sort of support you would receive after purchase. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Beefriendly said:

Hi @Alanbee I have just had a browse through trademe and as a generalisation, I’m pretty shocked to see what is being auctioned , in the North Island listings.

Have a look at the Nuc on the forum in 

Tradebee

This is what a Nuc should look like and the sort of support you would receive after purchase. 

 

Yes I did look and after asking a few respected experts I can to the point that I needed to ask smarter question.

I saw one Nucs weighting 16kgs which rises the alarm. Then spent 4 hours with someone who has more than 45

years in the industry, something did not measure up and thats been confirmed here (thank you master Beekeeper).

The say ignorance is bliss I say its expensive its for dummies that stop asking questions.

 thank you to all who gave me their 2 cents worth, it had great value. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Alanbee said:

I saw one Nucs weighting 16kgs which rises the alarm

16kg is very heavy

I send 5 frame nucs on the Courier and a good one in a core flute box weighs 10kg which is the cutoff point for a $20 Courier fee

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It should be noted that there is nothing wrong with a 3 frame Spring / early summer Nuc

I make lots of nucs and put them out in October and many of them are now 3 boxes of Bees

I looked at some hives today that were 3 frames of Bees in a 10 frame box with a new Cell on the 30/11,

These are now respectable 2 box hives (expanding into second box)

If you work on $60 per frame of Bees/Brood/Honey, then that makes a 3 frame box worth $180

Or $300 for a 5 frame Nuc.

 

 

Edited by Philbee
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Alanbee said:

5a5566a12e9d1_ScreenShot2018-01-10at2_01_40PM.thumb.png.1ccc3a458dab9d40913219176765a1a6.pngOff topic I know.

 

Have a look at that one Phil 

 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1512816617

Yes I saw that.

It is a summer nuc full of Honey.
Probably equal to one of my spring nucs with a couple of feed frames
When I sell nucs it is no skin of my nose to make them 4,5 or 6 frames overflowing with bees etc because i can just pile the Bees into the Nuc from other hives that will hardly notice the loss

However when sending Nucs by Courier it is important not to overdo it because they can cook

Edited by Philbee
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats the important consideration when buying a Nuc

If you buy from a small trader you will likely get the Nuc "as bred" which  can be good or bad

When you buy from a bigger operation you can expect to get more of everything which includes backup 

Edited by Philbee
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Buyer beware! I had a learning lesson from this guy

The following is facts

I bought a nuc from that seller OP is refering to in Apr17 for $200. It had a mated queen, 4 frames 10% drawn and 1 frame 70 % drawn and the bees were starving. I told the seller I was not happy with my purchase and I was rejected a refund. I used trademe dispute resolution and the seller offered me 1 frame of brood which I declined and then ignored the trademe resolution.

 

I didnt' give bad feedback.

 

My recommendation: Buyers know or have written evidence ahead of purchase what they are getting to help with potential dispute resolution.

 

 

 

Edited by werdna
  • Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Alanbee said:

he claims he has been working for an Apiary for 2 years..

that sounds fairly typical.

he will be a 'helper'. quite common for them to think they know it all after a couple of years and think they are a full beekeeper.

if they are trained they can know and do a fair bit, but often at 2 years many are just untrained helpers.

i get that quite a bit with new guys, you show them what they don't know and they realize they don't know anything, and then they really start learning.

there is a quite a few stories around of them going to work at another firm thinking they are a full beekeeper and expecting the big $$$, only to be booted out because they don't anything.

in the building trade its "hammer hands that call themselves builders".

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dansar said:

Not many bees and not a lot of brood for the price. Buying expensive honey with that nuc. I would be keener on the 12kg nuc, more Bees and brood.

 

Agree @dansar it’s nearly all honey, and what is brood is very patchy I would be surprised if it got up to being a decent hive.

@werdna I think you should have left feedback on the trademe listing it’s important for those buying that come after you.

  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, tristan said:

n the building trade its "hammer hands that call themselves builders".

I watched the beginning of the end of the building industry just before the leaky home disaster.
Builders went to new higher paying jobs so the Hammer hands became builders and the laborers became hammer hands .
It was a shambles of the highest order

  • Good Info 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, tristan said:

that sounds fairly typical.

he will be a 'helper'. quite common for them to think they know it all after a couple of years and think they are a full beekeeper.

if they are trained they can know and do a fair bit, but often at 2 years many are just untrained helpers.

i get that quite a bit with new guys, you show them what they don't know and they realize they don't know anything, and then they really start learning.

there is a quite a few stories around of them going to work at another firm thinking they are a full beekeeper and expecting the big $$$, only to be booted out because they don't anything.

in the building trade its "hammer hands that call themselves builders".

I knew plenty of young guys trying to get a head and I don't have an issue as we all come a long at our own speed however when you have 2 beekeeper with combined experience of almost a 100 years saying things them lessons need to be delivered. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

 

Agree @dansar it’s nearly all honey, and what is brood is very patchy I would be surprised if it got up to being a decent hive.

@werdna I think you should have left feedback on the trademe listing it’s important for those buying that come after you.

Maybe your right however I put myself in his shoes and let him show or learn what integrity is you never know he maybe someone

to watch for later (hoping but not holding my breath).

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...