I've been recently asked if I would like to put hives on a property, which has a training track, where the owner trains racehorses. He has asked me if I could put the hives in the next paddock over from the track. I recall being told some time ago by a non beekeeper that it's not good to have hives in an area where horses are being worked, as the bees go for the sweat on the horses and upset the horses.

I just wondered if this information is correct, or that it's okay to put hives in such a location.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

avoid putting hives near horses. horses go nuts more than most animals when stung.

Have a look at the intro of this video.  The horses don't mind the bees which have been there for a few years now.  The farmer has not mentioned any problems and the horses always come and watch us wo

its not so much the bees bother horses, its what happens when they get stung. i suspect its fine if they have room to run. but ifs its a small paddock or worse if there is someone on the horse, t

11 minutes ago, tristan said:

avoid putting hives near horses. horses go nuts more than most animals when stung.

Thanks tristan. I had never heard of bees liking the horses sweat before, but maybe what the non beekeeper heard mean't that the training track was simply in the flight path of the bees.

I keep my bees next to a horse paddock and riding arena. No problems at all. I have had horses over 20yrs and never heard of bees going for horses sweat. I've also never had a horse that has been stung. They can react to mosquito bites and come up in a lump, bee stings might be similar however horses innately know how to deal with nature and seem to keep away. If your hives are fenced and the horse's can move away from them I wouldn't be worried. 

What annoys me most is the bees that use the trough to get water.I am forever getting drowning bees from the horse trough, my biggest fear is a drowning one having a sting on the way down the throat. The value of some horses and vet bills.. I avoid having them close.

• Good Info 1