What's happening in these photos?

Hey guys. I went into my hive today and saw a couple of things I haven’t seen before. 

Photo one has has some small chewed bits of wax surrounded by empty cells.

BFD3C9BA-6EF9-4DE1-A09C-9099012C3611.thumb.jpeg.5838361d73bc6c22c61df18ca31d4aa4.jpeg

The second is a bunch of dead bees that look like they are covered in honey. 

34C30D96-9E94-4AEA-B42C-C5DFD0F0D477.jpeg.7fcb54135e20025d04bfcb151c1cda9d.jpeg

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Photo one the bees are uncapping and eating the honey. the dead bees have been squashed when the frames have been pushed up against each other.

Bees are not engineers and they do not build things in a straight line etc.  However, they do maintain fairly strict bee space. There fore id one frame has a lump on it then it's next mate will have a

Funnily enough I agree with Frazzledfozzle.

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Dave Aky said:

Thanks guys. So nothing to worry about then. Weird that they would eat the honey considering how much of a flow we have on at the moment. 

Do do you still have a flow? Mine ground to a halt about a week ago due to the dry weather.

4 hours ago, Dave Aky said:

Weird that they would eat the honey considering how much of a flow we have on at the moment. 

A flow, is nectar flowing into the hive. If they are eating honey and not storing any you would have to ask yourself if there is a flow.

• Agree 2

I did swap around a few frames. Is there a way to avoid ‘bee crushing’? I have been on holiday for the last week and when I checked the hives here hadn’t been much change. I hadn’t really considered how the weather would have effected the hive but that makes a lot of sense. 

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Bees are not engineers and they do not build things in a straight line etc.  However, they do maintain fairly strict bee space. There fore id one frame has a lump on it then it's next mate will have a corresponding hollow so the bees can get to all areas of the hive/frames.

When we reorientate a frame or frames then we get the bees natural contours out of wack and therefore we crush bees etc.(As per your second photo). 

So whilst I say don't rearrange etc, we do all do this.  But we must be mindful of the bee space. 

This is easier to maintain if you run 10 frames per box and then keep the frames tight.

Some people run 7, 8 or 9 frames per box.  (that is their option), However, the less frames you have per box, then the greater chance that the bees will make fat comb and one frame will overlap into it's mate.

I hope that explains it.  However, do as you wish with frame quantity per box.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Alastair said:

Disagree ;)

They build things to suit themselves not straight lines like engineers.

They put things into shapes for structural strength.

Differing views on how that is achieved.  Hence my explanation. 

Besides. They cannot be engineers as they do not have a qualification diploma or degree.

• Haha 2
39 minutes ago, Alastair said:

I knew that's what you meant Trevor :12_slight_smile:.

But to me, a wild beehive may not be pretty and in the kind of order that I would find pleasing, but from a functional point of view it is an engineering masterpiece. 

Yep.  100% agree.  They certainly can make a structurally sound living center.  However, I do have some problems with it being call engineering.  Evolutionary yes, Engineering Not so much.

It is something I have a problem with.

Bees do not make hexagons, rather they make circular tubes and the resulting interface is a hexagonal lattice.  Sort of chicken and egg I know, but I have never seen larvae or eggs or honey in a hexagon.  Always a circular tube.  Just my sick sense of stupidity.

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1