January 2018 Beekeeping Diary

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its our 20th Wedding anniversary and we have a party planned for tomorrow. My wife arranged for a special anniversary cake to be made, and we saw photos of it it today, it looks awesome.   T

Oh, and how could I forget this.  Call from a land owner late afternoon: "Sorry have knocked over three of your hives with my digger" . I was not too far away doing errands and not in bee mode.  I got

I now have a little room to extract in .  Much better than the spare bed room . However it is on the south wall so it does not heat up so much . I use heaters and try and process the frames

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, Rob Atkinson said:

A fun day in the drizzle getting queen rearing up and going , not a fan of rain coat beekeeping .

arrived at one of my swarm box yards this afternoon to help staff member fill swarm boxes for this evening graft to find some hives where super busy in the drizzle when they should have at home .

So I went into town to find the local corporate had unloaded a truck and trailer of wets in their yard yesterday, forklift driver in the process of putting them in shed today , sheets of cardboard dosent keep bees out of pallets of wets outside or in shed .

place was a massive cloud of bees .

would say every hive in several kms have found the place .

Had a fairly polite chat about how they where going to solve the problem.

The harvest season has only just started:40_rage:

My bees still coming home from down there, guess they'll be going back tomorrow as well ..what a bloody shambles. 

• Sad 1
33 minutes ago, dansar said:

Its our 20th Wedding anniversary and we have a party planned for tomorrow. My wife arranged for a special anniversary cake to be made, and we saw photos of it it today, it looks awesome.

This afternoon a very good friend of ours who cant make it to our party delivered an absolutely awesome present, she is also a cake maker/decorator.

What do you reckon? We are absolutely blown away at the generosity and time and effort she put in to this. 

26907172_10212446755938670_2363601436646425347_n.thumb.jpg.5b79999a36ae1150a61e0d8f3f03e2de.jpg

It must be really hard to stick a knife into these beautiful creations and start destroying them .

10 hours ago, Rob Atkinson said:

So I went into town to find the local corporate had unloaded a truck and trailer of wets in their yard yesterday, forklift driver in the process of putting them in shed today , sheets of cardboard dosent keep bees out of pallets of wets outside or in shed .

place was a massive cloud of bees .

would say every hive in several kms have found the place .

With a commercial as clever as that what’s the bet there’s a couple off stickies in the bunch that have come of hives with AFB :( 

dickeheads everywhere

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

With a commercial as clever as that what’s the bet there’s a couple off stickies in the bunch that have come of hives with AFB :( 

dickeheads everywhere

That is the concern for us, one of my sites is 400 yards away from this outfit. The guy I was talking to about the situation said they had burnt 26 hives in the Waikato in spring and was trying to assure me the wets had come from Northland.

Anyway there are are alot of hives in this area and I've never seen a building look like a massive beehive inside like this one was.

Rob had warned me last year when this outfit moved into town that I will have problems with them and he was so right... just didn't know they would be so careless. 

• Sad 4

Hive check today...3 of the 5...

There’s a new mated queen in my walkaway split, that I then walked it away again and left it queenleess.

5 x 3/4 frames of eggs in a good laying pattern.

Bees were totally chilled with me having a thorough search. 

I suspect she’ll be stripey like her sister...not seen but plenty of evidence she’s in residence....

They needed a 3rd box 

great bees to work with...

Checked the hive her sister requeened...she’s marked but not seen either... eggs, grubs and capped brood. Capping starting to happen. Very dark honey in their super.They seem pretty happy with her and have kicked a lot of the drones out.

Briefly checked the parent hive...still plenty of space 

3 down 2 that can wait for another day.

All is well in the bee world....

• Like 2

The intent today was to split 4 hives.

The first 2 were NUCs made in October, now both boiling with bees which after about 30 minutes in each of trying to locate the Queen’s I had to change tactic. Shook all the bees off the frames in the upper box one by one and put them in a spare box. Queen excluder over the bottom brood box, then the box of beeless frames on top of that. The actual split will take place tomorrow, new Queens in the queenless hives the day after that.

After all that lots of grumpy bees, and I felt about 50 kilos lighter in the 28 degree heat.

Tomorrow is another day.

• Good Info 1
1 hour ago, Beefriendly said:

Thanks for the idea @DeeGeeBee

Using the same principle, I could confine the new queen to the lower box.

Then search for her in 1 box to catch and mark...

Ways to out smart bees ?

You could, but personally for something such as marking which isn’t so time pertinent I would just wait for a warm still day in winter when there are a lot less bees.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, DeeGeeBee said:

You could, but personally for something such as marking which isn’t so time pertinent I would just wait for a warm still day in winter when there are a lot less bees.

I am wanting to requeen the parent hive with the new queen. Hence wanting to mark her sooner rather than later. 

Todays check was to confirm I had a mated queen, who is mated well. 

They also needed more room

Queen excluder, reshuffle of frames with the honey frames being placed above the excluder.

As you mentioned, it sure is hot work suited up... drip drip drip

It took me 3 searches through the 2 boxes to find her sister in the hive that was left on site,a couple of weeks ago. She was a marked queen. 

There is no urgency but using a strategy to make searching easier is welcome 

It’s possible, although I checked fairly thoroughly, that the queen is in the super...

• Like 2
3 hours ago, tommy dave said:

anyone else seen banks of flowering fennel crowded with foraging bees - pretty cool sight, i do wonder if the resulting honey would taste like the flowers do.

This was about 1km takaka side of port tarakohe in golden bay yesterday.

Oh no , I have friend with a hive in that area from a nuc I gave him.

I must tell him to take his honey off now while it is still edible 

3 hours ago, tommy dave said:

anyone else seen banks of flowering fennel crowded with foraging bees - pretty cool sight, i do wonder if the resulting honey would taste like the flowers do.

This was about 1km takaka side of port tarakohe in golden bay yesterday.

I run a site of 28 on fennel pollination this season and last. 

It tastes and smells like aniseed and will taint all other honey types. 

Not my pick of a crop that's for sure

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, Stoney said:

I run a site of 28 on fennel pollination this season and last. 

It tastes and smells like aniseed and will taint all other honey types. 

Not my pick of a crop that's for sure

Apparently quintinia serrata will do that too.

You are probably not on the coast when it flowers .

Just before and over lapping the kamahi 

• Good Info 1