Rob Stockley

Bee pollen

A friend has asked me to collect pollen for human consumption. When I Google "bee pollen nz" for ideas I find pollen from overseas available here. 

Is this allowed? I expected that pollen would be considered a bee product and import of pollen subject to the same restrictions as honey imports. I'm no edirect on pollen though.

Curious to hear the opinions of others.

1 hour ago, Rob Stockley said:

A friend has asked me to collect pollen for human consumption. When I Google "bee pollen nz" for ideas I find pollen from overseas available here. 

Is this allowed? I expected that pollen would be considered a bee product and import of pollen subject to the same restrictions as honey imports. I'm no edirect on pollen though.

Curious to hear the opinions of others.

Pollen is just pollen, the bees may have collected it but they've not processed it so it probably differs from honey, wax, etc.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Pollen is just pollen, the bees may have collected it but they've not processed it so it probably differs from honey, wax, etc.  

Interesting. Honey is restricted because it is a vector for spreading bee disease. Curious that pollen would be any different. 

I've done a bit of digging on the MPI website. 

* Bee pollen is subject to the import health standard for bee products - the same standard as honey. 

* Bee pollen may be imported provided it is either encapsulated or has been treated in accordance with the standard. 

So there is nothing to suggest that the pollen products I googled couldn't legally be imported and sold in New Zealand. 

Pollen can still contain AFB spores. I can't see how it's any different really and was also surprised when I heard it is imported. 

A friend of mine imports pollen by the container load for health food. Apparently we kiwis dont produce enough of it. 

• Agree 1

A quick googling indicates pollen can carry DWV amongst others.

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, yesbut said:

A quick googling indicates pollen can carry DWV amongst others.

not to mention nosema C, PSA etc.

• Sad 1

I can imagine that pollen stored in combs would be subject to all sorts of baddies, but pollen taken from a pollen trap would have to be OK?

3 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I can imagine that pollen stored in combs would be subject to all sorts of baddies, but pollen taken from a pollen trap would have to be OK?

Nah, think of all the nasty stuff the house bees eject out the front door. That's gotta end up in the trap. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I certainly wouldn’t be using it to make patties to feed back, the pollen we collect goes into the human food chain and some for bumble bee keepers. 

• Like 1

One imported pollen capsule fed to a beehive by a well-meaning but ignorant person would be more than enough to introduce European foul brood. Another thing MPI refused to take into account is that some of the diseases we do have like AFB and chalk brood  potentially and probably have more virulent strains overseas. Apart from the risk there is also the problem to New Zealand's image with a great deal of pollen capsules imported being sold back to tourists in packaging that implies it comes from New Zealand. The same thing happens with Royal jelly and propolis. Brilliant way to tarnish New Zealand's reputation and yet MPI and some of the importers\exporters have a special relationship. What some people won't do for a few quick dollars.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

So why not put a pollen trap on one of your hives and produce the pollen for your friend? And if you want a NZ source for pollen try PollenNation - a Nelson based company.

Why strip pollen off your hives possibly leaving bees nutritionally challenged to feed humans who are chasing the 'super food' idea. I think there are far more  bees short of enough food at present than there are humans.

• Like 2

On 1/2/2018 at 10:29 AM, Sailabee said:

Why strip pollen off your hives possibly leaving bees nutritionally challenged to feed humans who are chasing the 'super food' idea. I think there are far more  bees short of enough food at present than there are humans.

When you strip pollen off your hive they work harder to collect more pollen, it's that simple. 

We only run traps in good pollen areas on strong hives and only for a fairly short period, creating income. 

The colonies are never pollen deficient, and you still see bees walking around above the trap carrying a little. 

• Agree 2

Agree with Stoney. Good pollen areas no worries and short time frame.  Though, field bees will become pollen orientated gatherers, and a drop in honey yield could result. 

I believe they import irradiate pollen to avoid potential hazard of diseases. I think is the same practice in Europe. 

About bees walking through the holes, by time they start to bring smaller balls of pollen, even with leg work ( moving one by one leg through the hole at a time) avoid to lose pollen at the entrance - so when someone says bees are not at all inteligent - got you thinking when watching their problem solving and adaptation..