another queen excluder issue

I am running 2 brood boxes (3/4), started with a nuc in november.  Last week I put a QE and a honey super on.

While I am renovating our bathroom, the family is away so between two coats of paint I thougt I have a quick look what is going on in the super.

Good and bad. The good is it's full of brood and eggs, so the queen is doing her job but bad as this is the honey super above the excluder :) It not supposed to be full off eggs and grub, eh?

No what I don't know

• did I accidently locked her in the super when I lifted frames of brood from the brood box?
  • can she cross the excluder?
  • did she walk around the outside of the box and went in through the upper entrance I cut on the QE?
  • is it magic?

What I done is, shook 99% of the bees into the lid from the super and poured them into the second brood box. Put the QE back and put the super back. Couldn't find her (I did not take the whole thing apart, just looked into the super) I think it's time to organise a thorough search for her (she is not marked) to make 100% sure where she is and how she is? Maybe next weekend.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You could have just put the "super" below the excluder and put a "brood box" above the excluder.  The brood will hatch out and be backfilled with honey.

You can't approach your problem with logic unless you inspect the whole hive, then you can exclude a number of things:   2 queens queen only below QE leaking QE   and jus

most likely thing is you lifted queen up with the brood. this is why its important to shake ALL bees off the frame.   its possible to have a damaged excluder. what sort of excluder is it?

You can't approach your problem with logic unless you inspect the whole hive, then you can exclude a number of things:

2 queens

queen only below QE

leaking QE

and just to point out that a strong queen usually needs more boxes than you are providing :14_relaxed:

And why not learn to mark queens to make life easier for yourself ?

• Like 1
  • Good Info 1

most likely thing is you lifted queen up with the brood. this is why its important to shake ALL bees off the frame.

its possible to have a damaged excluder. what sort of excluder is it?

to fix, shaking the bees down is not fool proof. however in your case its easier because you know shes in one box. provided no queen in the old brood boxes, you can simply swap the brood boxes and supers around.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 1
5 hours ago, Gabor said:

thanks guys, the rain has finally arrived, so when the weather allows I'll do a thorough check to see what has to be done.

If you leave it for 4 days ish (someone more experienced can confirm) just look for eggs. You want eggs on one side of the excluder only. If eggs are on the wrong side just switch the boxes. 

Check the excluder very carefully to make sure she isn’t on that because it would be a shame to get it wrong.

My nuc is a month older than yours but is 7 tall now - what sort of state is yours in? Are the hanging out the front and bubbling out the top?

On 31/12/2017 at 1:12 PM, Gabor said:

I am running 2 brood boxes (3/4), started with a nuc in november.  Last week I put a QE and a honey super on.

While I am renovating our bathroom, the family is away so between two coats of paint I thougt I have a quick look what is going on in the super.

Good and bad. The good is it's full of brood and eggs, so the queen is doing her job but bad as this is the honey super above the excluder :) It not supposed to be full off eggs and grub, eh?

No what I don't know

• did I accidently locked her in the super when I lifted frames of brood from the brood box?
  • can she cross the excluder?
  • did she walk around the outside of the box and went in through the upper entrance I cut on the QE?
  • is it magic?

What I done is, shook 99% of the bees into the lid from the super and poured them into the second brood box. Put the QE back and put the super back. Couldn't find her (I did not take the whole thing apart, just looked into the super) I think it's time to organise a thorough search for her (she is not marked) to make 100% sure where she is and how she is? Maybe next weekend.

Hello guys it happen sometimes maybe you got 2 queens in 1 hive or check your queen excluder maybe a little part is broke, by they is anyone here knows how to clean or get rid the wax of white pkastic queen excluders?