Rob Stockley

Bees washing up on a beach

2 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/347165/whangamata-inundated-with-dying-bees

"One of the country's busiest beaches has been inundated with dying bees, creating a hazard for holidaymakers."

what do you think caused something like this .?

2 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

what do you think caused something like this .?

A hive washed down a creek or river? 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I’m sure there’s heaps of beehives in the area they are probably drowning either because they are landing on the water or are at the waters edge sucking up the moisture and salt and getting caught in the waves.

8 minutes ago, yesbut said:

@nikki watts barge has probably turned turtle :ph34r:

It was a bit stormy here last night. 

32 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I’m sure there’s heaps of beehives in the area they are probably drowning either because they are landing on the water or are at the waters edge sucking up the moisture and salt and getting caught in the waves.

I'm astounded that Coromandel could be so dry that bees are drinking from the sea.

• Agree 1

Having a google around it seems they like salt water swimming pools, ALOT, so I guess the sea is the same thing.

my guess is that probably nosema (or call it cororapa) behind this.

bees dying away from home.

the collapse scenarios i've seen often started with people reporting plenty of dead bees getting washed up.

a beach close by here, Otama, also reported plenty of bees getting washed up.

the wind here is totally normal.

wouldn't rule out bees trying to drink from the sea.

but i've never seen it, so i think unlikely and we also had rain a couple of days ago.

i suggest they collect a sample and get a screen test done from @JohnF

• Like 3
  • Good Info 3

Maybe there is seaweed washed up along the high tide mark and they are after the minerals.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

Having a google around it seems they like salt water swimming pools, ALOT, so I guess the sea is the same thing.

I have never seen them on the beach's here.

I have seen them flying across the inlet when we have been in the tinny.

Surprised me to see them so far fron land .

It’s freaky seeing this topic pop up .. .. I took my boy for a surf cast last night and noticed a few bees struggling on the wet sand above the wave line and thought to myself that’s really weird, not something I’ve noticed before. 

• Like 1

My first thought was the same as @Rob Stockley 's . . .namely a hive had gone overboard from a ferry or similar.
But interesting to read your observation of bees being washed up preceeding collapse issues. We'll keep an eye out in the lab . . .

often see bees along the hightide mark up here generally there sucking on the salt/seaweed deposits, interestingly enough though its usually not far from a freshwater outlet that flows on/beneath the sand but usually there not far from there parent hives

13 hours ago, Janice said:

Maybe there is seaweed washed up along the high tide mark and they are after the minerals.

Our bees have done very well on the seaweed supplements we have squirted into them ..... garbage looking bees in the spring that were split in the last week of November when every one else ws supering up  now have two boxes of clover on. Magical stuff !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, black bee said:

often see bees along the hightide mark up here generally there sucking on the salt/seaweed deposits, interestingly enough though its usually not far from a freshwater outlet that flows on/beneath the sand but usually there not far from there parent hives

The bees I saw last night were right at a fresh water seepage point and within 50m of a small rivermouth. So exactly as you describe black bee. 

We found a dead bee in a direct line to the beach from our home hive about 300m away, I wondered if they drink salt water and if that's actually a good idea since they dilute honey with it and feed it to their young? However it's one of my strongest hives, so it can't be hurting that much.

Bees fall into water all the time where they normally drown. If I had to guess I would say they are flying either to an offshore island or across a Bay to flowering trees . I have seen manuka Beatles along the high tide mark at local beaches in their millions and the odd bee turning up on a beach should come as no surprise to anybody. If it becomes an ongoing problem then it might be worth looking into. It could even have been a large swarm hanging on a tree over the water. There are lots of possible scenarios.

• Like 3

We've been coming to the Coromandel for 20 years or more and never seen so many dead bees on the beach. Tom Sayn mentioned in his post that there are lots being washed up at Otama. It's been very noticeable at Tairua and Whangamata too, so it's been happening over a long stretch of the Coromandel coast.

Regularly makes it into the news at Papamoa Beach every year or two. I believe they are foraging salt but aren’t great with tides and waves

• Agree 1

Sometimes honey bees can get snow blindness.  Snow on the ground, the weather gets warm, they go flying and can't get home because they are blind.  

Could the same be happening with light reflecting off the water?  

• Like 2