Can I put bee excape upside down?

Checked hive today for any signs of swarming.

Two brood boxes are completely full of eggs and capped brood . 

One frame is mostly capped drone and a here is a little bit of capped drone low on other frames

Swapped the two brood boxes around, put queen below as there is a tiny few spaces left to lay in that she might go up to.

Also took out 2 frames of honey and replaced with some drawn comb. They still have some supplies around some brood frames.

The two honew boxes were full and capped  so put another box on top of the excluder for then to put more honey in and then put a bee excape under the two full honey boxes. These are also jammed packed with bees.

I am worried I may have the20171222_152544-1.jpg.7af3b60243805d1755054af7d038b364.jpg excluder upside down. It is a hive mat with two plastic circles that sort of hang down? I put it up that way. Does that sound right?

Don't want to kill half my bees just to get some honey!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whoops!  I meant to say.... Worried the excape was upside down. I will open tommorrow and have a look.  I work Sundays so never get a chance to go to the bee club hive days. Thanks guys. Glad thi

Posted Images

You are talking two different items.  

I one place you are talking about a queen excluder (this does not have plastic parts and does not matter which way up.

Then you are describing a Bee escape board.  Yes, the plastic things point down.  These stay on for 24/36 hours to clear bees from the honey boxes.

21 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

You are talking two different items.  

I one place you are talking about a queen excluder (this does not have plastic parts and does not matter which way up.

Then you are describing a Bee escape board.  Yes, the plastic things point down.  These stay on for 24/36 hours to clear bees from the honey boxes.

Whoops!  I meant to say.... Worried the excape was upside down. I will open tommorrow and have a look. 

I work Sundays so never get a chance to go to the bee club hive days. Thanks guys. Glad this forum is here to help. 

• Like 4