Philbee

Extraction Honesty

30 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

ay a $ amount to them for each kg of honey extracted, less a $ charge per frame extracted?

That's exactly how Arataki do it. Pay per kg change in box weight. Charge per box (8 frames) extracted. The box charge reduces the more boxes you send in.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, fieldbee said:

I have just extracted 50 boxes for a newbie and said no I wouldnt melt his wax for him and I keep it.  Then told him he could have it back if he brought a container and he could do it himself with the sun.  He wasnt interested said he wasnt set up to do that.  He was cheerful and honest so gave him a small block 4 kg.

the wax from 50 boxes is stuff all anyway (much less than 4kg). its just so inefficient to do such small runs let alone squabbling about little bits of wax.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, fieldbee said:

Told him it wasnt worth my time and he wouldnt want to pay what I would charge.  I have just extracted 50 boxes for a newbie and said no I wouldnt melt his wax for him and I keep it.  Then told him he could have it back if he brought a container and he could do it himself with the sun.  He wasnt interested said he wasnt set up to do that.

It's a shame this chap wasn't interested in melting down his own wax. I think it's another interesting part of keeping bees. I made up my own solar wax melter about five years ago, and sure it can be a lengthly process to melt down all of the wax, but like I mentioned, it is just another fun part of beekeeping. :D

• Agree 2

On 12/27/2017 at 7:55 AM, john berry said:

your hives are losing honey well before that point is reached. I prefer to take off honey at the 22\23 kg point.

Could you explain why?  You get a higher moisture content harvesting early or the bees are not going to eat it?

i though capped honey was capped. Can it still lose weight when capped?

On 31/12/2017 at 4:08 PM, BeeGirl said:

It's a shame this chap wasn't interested in melting down his own wax. I think it's another interesting part of keeping bees. I made up my own solar wax melter about five years ago, and sure it can be a lengthly process to melt down all of the wax, but like I mentioned, it is just another fun part of beekeeping. :D

Steam melters are the way to go ;-)

• Agree 1

When talking about wax, I have found that frames that have been pricked and cleaned up by bees given a good shake often yield a reasonable amount of loose wax at the bottem of the box being cleaned up. Stack a half a dozen of them on a hive to clean up and you get a surprising amount of loose wax to melt down in the bottom.... 

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 2

On 12/27/2017 at 7:55 AM, john berry said:

One of the biggest problems extracting for other people is loss. Pallets of honey are weighed when they come in and some of them have more bees than honey. Loss one= the bees fly away. Wax. Up till very recently wax was worth less than honey and for manuka it's still worth a lot less, on top of that no matter how good your system is for removing honey from wax you always lose some honey. Try it sometime, scrape some cappings and then squeeze them absolutely dry in a piece of muslin. I'll guarantee it will be well over 50% honey. Then comes dross. This is made up of bits of black comb, dead bees, broken frames et cetera. On top of all that wax takes a lot of time and a lot of expensive energy to process. I don't do my own extraction but I am very familiar with the process and would be amazed if contract extractors made money on wax.

I'm pretty good at estimating honey weights when taking off boxes of honey and at the end of the season my estimated weights are normally within half a kilogram of actual yields. 28 kg per box is the heaviest average I've ever extracted but your hives are losing honey well before that point is reached. I prefer to take off honey at the 22\23 kg point.

I just got my honey extraction report back and it says I got 11kgs  box on average forfor 3/4 depth boxes

29 minutes ago, Maru Hoani said:

I just got my honey extraction report back and it says I got 11kgs  box on average forfor 3/4 depth boxes

Is that good or bad.  I don't do commercial extraction.

1 hour ago, Maru Hoani said:

That is low.  Were the boxes light going in?  15/16 kg is about right from an average 26kg 3/4.

• Thanks 1

Does it make a difference if it’s manuaka and harder to spin out ??? 

The trick is to have a good idea of what a wet super should weigh.

I know that one of my 10 frame, plastic, pricked, FD supers will weigh a minimum of 10kg wet and a max of 12kg  

On 1/4/2018 at 6:18 PM, CraBee said:

That is low.  Were the boxes light going in?  15/16 kg is about right from an average 26kg 3/4.

Yea that's wat I thought? Some were light and some fully capped 

1 minute ago, Maru Hoani said:

Yea that's wat I thought? Some were light and some fully capped 

I got another lot going somewhere else so I'll see what the difference is

9 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

For any meaningful comparison you'll need to weigh the boxes in and out. Where's your nearest weigh bridge? 

11 hours ago, Maru Hoani said:

The 26kg is when they are capped and if not capped then pretty solid with nectar.  Some boxes get up to 30kg if less frames in them and all capped off.  If the extraction place doesn't weigh in or you cant get to a weighbridge I just use kitchen scales at the back of the trailer, hop on, and then subtract my weight, then write it down.  I don't weigh all the boxes maybe 1/3 and that gives me a rough idea.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

Some boxes get up to 30kg if less frames in them and all capped off.

Is this for 3/4 boxes?
FD boxes will go much heavier than that

Extracted one lot of 136 3/4 supers a few days ago and got on average 18.9 Kg per super in the drum. The average for our shed is around 13 Kg/Super.

• Like 3

On 31/12/2017 at 12:16 PM, tristan said:

the wax from 50 boxes is stuff all anyway (much less than 4kg). its just so inefficient to do such small runs let alone squabbling about little bits of wax.

Is there anyone knows the honest extraction plant in northland?♤

34 minutes ago, Beemine said:

Is there anyone knows the honest extraction plant in northland?♤

pay to mention how many boxes you need done and how far you are willing to transport them.

16 hours ago, tristan said:

pay to mention how many boxes you need done and how far you are willing to transport them.

300.i am closer to kaitaia or kerikeri 

On 1/7/2018 at 8:38 AM, Rob Stockley said:

For any meaningful comparison you'll need to weigh the boxes in and out. Where's your nearest weigh bridge? 

What's a weigh bridge?

On 1/7/2018 at 8:38 AM, Rob Stockley said:

I weighed the pallets going in on my fork lift and they were all around the 500 kg mark that's for 24x 3/4 some heavier up to 550 and some as low as 460kg I'll have a weigh of the wets in the morning to compare roughly.

On 1/2/2018 at 8:19 PM, flash4cash said:

Could you explain why?   

because... if you leave boxes to fill to their absolute maximum during a flow you will have forced the the bees to stop collecting nectar and instead focus on moisture reduction and filling every little spot; and some hives will have ceased nectar collection completely.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/10/2018 at 10:20 PM, Maru Hoani said:

What's a weigh bridge?

Google 

what they weigh trucks on...

1 hour ago, Beefriendly said:

Google 

what they weigh trucks on...

Usually available at the local rubbish dump - for a small fee you can weight other heavy stuff.