flash4cash

The colour of clover

So I look at this beautiful white clover honey and then I look at my honey , with the best I can get is a light golden colour.

Does it go whiter when creamed?  Is my honey even clover? I assume it is as I have a lot of clover and no bush around me.

If I was to sell my honey would they just test for pollen count to determine what type of honey it is?  Does the colour really matter.  It taste great for what it worth.

The other thing that makes me wonder what to do is what happens if it comes back as multi floral, and only worth $6. 

I have no idea about this honey side of things and am very surprised we people say at $6 it is not worth extracting.  I thought extraction cost were 50c a frame so @2 kg a frame it would be worth it 2x 6 =$11.50.   How is it possible that ticket clippers get the rest? 

I can can think of drums, and lab testing as other costs.  Are there more?? If someone could roughly break it down that would be great. 

1 hour ago, flash4cash said:

So I look at this beautiful white clover honey and then I look at my honey , with the best I can get is a light golden colour.

Does it go whiter when creamed?  Is my honey even clover? I assume it is as I have a lot of clover and no bush around me.

If I was to sell my honey would they just test for pollen count to determine what type of honey it is?  Does the colour really matter.  It taste great for what it worth.

The other thing that makes me wonder what to do is what happens if it comes back as multi floral, and only worth $6. 

I have no idea about this honey side of things and am very surprised we people say at $6 it is not worth extracting.  I thought extraction cost were 50c a frame so @2 kg a frame it would be worth it 2x 6 =$11.50.   How is it possible that ticket clippers get the rest? 

I can can think of drums, and lab testing as other costs.  Are there more?? If someone could roughly break it down that would be great. 

Whats the labour, petrol, storage, bottling etc on that too though? Your time is worth something.

22 minutes ago, cBank said:

Whats the labour, petrol, storage, bottling etc on that too though? Your time is worth something.

And varroa treatment per hive

1 hour ago, flash4cash said:

Other costs are mainly labour related - go to a site, put on escape boards, go back next day and remove boxes, load and transport to extraction, unload at extraction, go back and get wets, put wets back on hives.  $6 is still worth extracting it though IMO.  

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I see the price of clover was around the $6 mark back in 2013 so it was not that long ago, people survived then. 

If you put wets away for the season do you have to put them back on the hive for the bees to clean them up first?  The residue honey in the comb would ferment would it not? 

Edited by flash4cash

43 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

Thanks for the feedback so far.  I see the price of clover was around the $6 mark back in 2013 so it was not that long ago, people survived then. 

If you put wets away for the season do you have to put them back on the hive for the bees to clean them up first?  The residue honey in the comb would ferment would it not? 

Where are you extracting honey? I see costs of $16-17 per box add a bit more if it’s manuka and needs a longer spin cycle.Then drums to pay for, E-cert to pay for if honey is being sold overseas. Tutin test, colour grading test may be required - this could be worth it if selling clover based honey, the lighter the more valuable and then C4 test. 

Sorry to misled you @dansar that is a figure I read somewhere some time ago.  I have never had my honey commercial extracted, which is why I'm interested on the in and outs.

3 hours ago, flash4cash said:

Add a bit of electricity to keep the freezer container going

• Thanks 1

Compliance, fuel, treatments, landowner fees, landowner honey, vehicle running costs, extraction, drums, sugar  gotta pay yourself something to live, after all that and more you still have tax to pay.

At $6kg it’s still worth extracting but you won’t be makeing any money on it.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

At $6kg it’s still worth extracting but you won’t be makeing any money on it.

It pays costs but no wages ?

It will pay the costs but the profit margin is pretty small unless of course you get a huge crop

How long does it take a contract extractor to uncap & spin 10 FD frames of say clover ?

1 hour ago, frazzledfozzle said:

It will pay the costs but the profit margin is pretty small unless of course you get a huge crop

and thats just it.

with low price honeys you have to do volume.

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

How long does it take a contract extractor to uncap & spin 10 FD frames of say clover ?

as long a bit of string.

depends on setup and if they run a shorter cycle or not. 

what counts is what it costs you.

What I was wondering was the economics of hand crush & strain/press vs contract machine. 

13 minutes ago, yesbut said:

What I was wondering was the economics of hand crush & strain/press vs contract machine. 

depends on how many boxes to be done and how much do you value the use of your arms.