tom sayn

landowner honey

8 hours ago, Philbee said:

There is also the point that very often the man in the beehive has bigger fish to fry and us small fry worry over nothing.

A phrase like that is a little tricky to apply on a Beekeeping forum and with a female PM!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cBank said:

female PM!

For now

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Philbee said:

For now

And hopefully for a long time .:14_relaxed:

• Like 1

thanks for all the replies

so new plan:

to those landowners that are happy to write out a receipt, i give commercially packed honey,

to the others i give self extracted honey in pots that i buy with cash. extracted before 31.12 and to best hygiene and food standards, but not necessarily certified.

anything wrong with that?

31 minutes ago, tom sayn said:

thanks for all the replies

so new plan:

to those landowners that are happy to write out a receipt, i give commercially packed honey,

to the others i give self extracted honey in pots that i buy with cash. extracted before 31.12 and to best hygiene and food standards, but not necessarily certified.

Someone's bound to find something :8_laughing:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, tom sayn said:

It’s going to create an interesting conversation 

‘Here’s your free honey that I provide you with as a thanks for providing an apiary site for me as a token of my ongoing appreciation........

Would you mind giving me a receipt ‘

• Haha 1

Why not keep some hobby hives, that are outside the business, and give that honey away?

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Josh said:

Why not keep some hobby hives, that are outside the business, and give that honey away?

I think that's what tradies do now.  During the week it is business and in the weekend it's a hobby but the IRD thinks otherwise.

I picked up a site today because the current beekeeper decided to not give any free honey anymore and instead charge the landowner for any honey from his own farm.  What an idiot! 

Now he is going to have to moves his hives just as the flow gets going. It is a mint spot to with basically year round food for the bees. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Maybe the landowner was already getting a site fee?

maybe the honey produced isn’t worth much in the current market?

I imagine there’s more to the story than the beekeeper deciding he was going to charge the landowner for the honey.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

This is an interesting thread. I did'nt really pay much attention to it ..... until last night, when I got a phone call from a ranting landowner. He wanted his rent honey.  Oh dear, we gave 12kg to the manager a few weeks ago and it never got passed on. I think the rant was aimed more at the manager for not passing the honey on to the owner to make the decision as to who recieved what, but anyway.  The conversation then got interesting. He wanted a regular monthly supply of honey and a regular cheque for having the bees on his land, as, he said, most al other landowners were getting. Now this is a back country Canterbury site with a little honey dew and limited clover, but lotsa gorse for spring build up, except it is rapidly getting sprayed of with a helo.  We pull nucs out of the hives in the spring to cover duds, and then in the past few years havepulled the bees out onto more lucrative sites. The owner commented two years ago that he was'nt happy about the bees going as he was trying to get the clover content of his farm up. 

Hmm.  And now he wants to whack us with a rental fee for the pleasure.

But I have a cunning plan.

Six pots of honey, so one every two months, paid in a lump sum after extraction. We'll pay him $40/hive for the site, on which there are 48 hives, and then bill him $160/hive for clover pollination.

In some areas the Manuka industry has done us no favours and opened a can of worms.

Edited by jamesc
  • Agree 4
  • Good Info 1

I say best of luck to all beekeepers out there currently paying for bee sites and dishing out free honey, things could be about to get very tight. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I say best of luck to all beekeepers out there currently paying for bee sites and dishing out free honey, things could be about to get very tight. 

I don’t pay for sites, but do give honey to land owners. I have the bulk of my hives on a couple of huge farms and there is room for more apiaries. I will be pulling the hives that are on smaller sites of 4-8 hives, it’s amazing how that quickly amounts to 40+ hives.I willmake several new apiaries on these bigger farms. The time and effort has now made it uneconomical to  get around  these smaller apiaries and the amount of honey that got passed out last season, although given with a smile and received with arms held out wide really hurt us in the pocket. With hives located on the bigger farms I will be dealing with less people and in turn less honey to give as a thank you.

• Like 2

I think I do very well from my beek who gives me a 20 litre bucket of honey each season for the 16 hives he has on my place .

Despite the fact that the last 2 seasons have been very poor.

On the down side I spend a couple of months with my hives under siege at the end of the season when they take their honey off and the hives are still there.

I wonder how much a 20 litre bucket weighs .

20 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I wonder how much a 20 litre bucket weighs .

28 kg.  Specific gravity of honey is 1.4

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2

3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

28 kg.  Specific gravity of honey is 1.4

I am doing very well then :14_relaxed:

10 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I am doing very well then :14_relaxed:

Yes.  I think so.  Specially when there is no work involved.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, frazzledfozzle said:

I imagine there’s more to the story than the beekeeper deciding he was going to charge the landowner for the honey.

To be fair I do not know the beekeeper involved and they may be under financial pressure, so I apologise for calling them 'an idiot '

As a thanks to my site owners I give them honey ?  and cheese ? 

Oh and some I am giving free nuc box of bees to get their hive up and going again. I now have 3 appreciates ? I will teach them what I know.  It will be the blind leading the blind ?

I like the idea their bees will come from me as I know they are disease free.  And with the price of bees now days the most expensive part is the cheese ? 

Edited by flash4cash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, flash4cash said:

To be fair I do not know the beekeeper involved and they may be under financial pressure, so I apologise for calling them 'an idiot '

As a thanks to my site owners I give them honey ?  and cheese ? 

god i would love cheese.

shame you are so far away :6_smile:

Do you think you could handle a piece of this @kaihoka ? 

Cold Manuka Smoked Goat Gouda made by Meyer Cheese.

supreme winner at the 2017 NZ cheese awards

beat out 377 other cheeses ? we supplied the milk.

Trying to make a honey cheese but at the moment can not get the honey flavour to come through to the cheese. 

Image.png

• Like 4

On 18 December 2017 at 7:15 PM, M4tt said:

Yup 

Although it’s not unheard of for family to help each other 

Even I pay PAYE when my kids help out . That way ACC gets paid if there are accidents and they are covered 

Dear Lord, your keen.

I pay all my taxes so I can sleep well at night, and moan, well mainly moan, but I wouldn't have even thought to pay PAYE on my kids. Some things really ain't gummint's business.

@yesbut is right, as long as ACC consider it an accident* you're covered. I'm not a fan though.

*an accident seems to be applying to less things all the time in the eye of ACC, or so I'm told...

• Like 1

Since I like going off topic.  What do we think the chances of the government planting 1 million tree that thouse trees could be Manuka? 

What would be the cost/benefit vs say pine trees which is what I assume they would plant? Would we not get a faster return on Investment.  Makes sense to me

• Agree 1

@flash4cash wow that cheese is really something.

Is that what you pay your landowners with ? Lucky landowners.

How many goats do you milk? . I have a friend that milks goats , she loves her goats.

I had a job at a sheep milk cheese factory washing the rinds.

I got to take home all the off cuts and such like.

Best job perk ever.:14_relaxed:

• Like 3