flash4cash

Watering bees

With things getting drier I was wondering does it make sense to put water through the feeders, to give the be something to drink? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, flash4cash said:

With things getting drier I was wondering does it make sense to put water through the feeders, to give the be something to drink? 

good idea

Two things we encourage all our club members to do:

Set up a water source before the rains stop, and keep it filled until the rains start up again.  It keeps the bees out of the dog-water dishes, and hose bibs and kiddy pools of neighbors on the block.  BTW research showed that bees preferred ditch water to pure water just out of the tap!  They must need trace elements that tap water doesn't have.

Secondly... We encourage club members to set up a bait hive in their yards to attract the swarms that come out of their own hives (assuming their swarm suppression schemes aren't 100% successful).  They sometimes (often?) attract swarms from the community.  It's free bees. Very little effort is involved. It saves chasing the critters. It's good for community relations.

Our climate is dry from the end of spring through the beginning of fall.  US west coast Mediterranean climate.

Seasons greetings

Jerry

• Good Info 1

You guys seem to have a lot of falls !  We have a whole government department section devoted to preventing falls !

• Haha 3

On 12/20/2017 at 10:07 AM, yesbut said:

You guys seem to have a lot of falls !  We have a whole government department section devoted to preventing falls !

Pink Cat, I enjoy your humour, Kiwi’s seem to have adopted a lot of USA language, surprising Autumn is still used instead of Fall.

2 hours ago, Howard Halliday said:

Pink Cat, I enjoy your humour, Kiwi’s seem to have adopted a lot of USA language, surprising Autumn is still used instead of Fall.

The majority of our trees are evergreen, so perhaps that relates?

• Agree 1