Jump to content
john berry

Hastings and area AFB outbreak

Recommended Posts

I have followed this discussion a while now and first thought that there is not much point adding my comments to it.

My involvement with AFB is with the training the Detector Dogs for finding AFB. Over the last  7 years we have trained 6 dogs for the detection of AFB. They all are able to detect AFB at different stages (pre-clinical and clinical)

From what I have seen over the years now is that some beekeepers think that they have no AFB (pre-clinical) but the dogs proved (plus the PCR test)  them otherwise after we searched some of their hives. The spores are present but have no clinical AFB has shown up yet. 

I think it will be difficult to eliminate AFB without tools  (dogs, machines, test) that can detect AFB pre-clinical.)

I do mention it a lot when the dogs have indicated on spots where AFB infected hives were sitting several month ago and then were  taken away. You might know the spores survives for a long long time.

The Agency is planning to include dogs as well as other detection tools at some stage. However there is a bit of a hold up with it all. But in the mean time we are continue offering / using the detector dogs if individual beekeepers want to have their hives inspected.

I feel the longer people wait in trying to manage / fight the AFB more aggressively to worse it will get. Certainly some beekeepers are very proactive but some beekeepers have very little interest in doing their bit in fighting AFB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

so @Rene Gloor, do you feel the dogs would be able to assess a potential Apiary site? ie beekeeper gets the dogs to check the area he is intending to locate hives? Would there be any remedial action that could be taken if the site was found to be contaminated?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, nab said:

has any country ever got rid of afb.  looking at it from a practical point of view, afb is just going to have to be managed and delt with the way that we are doing it.  even the afb organisations name states the management agency National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan. Shouldn't it be the elimination agency?

If It was taken seriously by the governing body wouldn't it be treated a little bit more like bovine TB.

also for the nerds out there where did AFB originate, was it some thing that honey bees have always had? or was it to do with humans and farming bees?

Yep ..... I'm pretty stoked to say we have pretty much eliminated our AFB.  But i'm not holding my breathe, as being migratory the nice girl next door may not be so nice.  And there are heaps of them on the road to the coast !

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jamesc said:

Yep ..... I'm pretty stoked to say we have pretty much eliminated our AFB.  But i'm not holding my breathe, as being migratory the nice girl next door may not be so nice.  And there are heaps of them on the road to the coast !

Nice girls on the road to the coast? Which tracks are you tearing up? 

All I ever get is them damn camper vans 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are nice girls everywhere. It just depends who's looking.

 

Edited by Janice
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Stoney said:

Nice girls on the road to the coast? Which tracks are you tearing up? 

All I ever get is them damn camper vans 

Tracks ...... We were cruising over the Old West Coast road the other day .... the TomTom  short cut from Christchurch to Fox Glacier  ..... and came over the brow of a hill to find a Chinaman ,four ladies and a five yo boy wandering down the middle of the road, dragging their travel bags and holding cell phones to the sky.

Their van had skidded off the road and got wedged between a tree and a 20m drop , and after exiting through the back door were heading back to CHCH looking for phone reception to order another van !

I was nearly knocked down in the rush as they all tried to pile into the front of the ute for the ride into HOHO Hokitika.  Nice Chinese girls but not a word of English between them. 

  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jamesc said:

Tracks ...... We were cruising over the Old West Coast road the other day .... the TomTom  short cut from Christchurch to Fox Glacier  ..... and came over the brow of a hill to find a Chinaman ,four ladies and a five yo boy wandering down the middle of the road, dragging their travel bags and holding cell phones to the sky.

Their van had skidded off the road and got wedged between a tree and a 20m drop , and after exiting through the back door were heading back to CHCH looking for phone reception to order another van !

I was nearly knocked down in the rush as they all tried to pile into the front of the ute for the ride into HOHO Hokitika.  Nice Chinese girls but not a word of English between them. 

Sounds like a country song could come out of this...

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some girls do, some girls don't,

Some girls learn to drift and some girls won't .....

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jamesc said:

Some girls do, some girls don't,

Some girls learn to drift and some girls won't .....

Some girls eat a lotta honey and some girls don't 

but when I get to feeling that, I don't know why,.... 

Did you see the sting - to PhilEvans eye

 

 

  • Haha 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2017 at 5:33 PM, Mummzie said:

so @Rene Gloor, do you feel the dogs would be able to assess a potential Apiary site? ie beekeeper gets the dogs to check the area he is intending to locate hives? Would there be any remedial action that could be taken if the site was found to be contaminated?

@Mummzie  yes we can train the dogs to check the area / grass even without the hives on it. it would take a bit of fine-tuning because the dogs are conditioned to search around hives and bee equipment. Burt it can be done.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rene Gloor said:

@Mummzie  yes we can train the dogs to check the area / grass even without the hives on it. it would take a bit of fine-tuning because the dogs are conditioned to search around hives and bee equipment. Burt it can be done.

But can it really be done?

Are some sites contaminated to the point where they are not usable?
Is this proposed ground contamination recognized as a realistic threat?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Philbee said:

But can it really be done?

Are some sites contaminated to the point where they are not usable?
Is this proposed ground contamination recognized as a realistic threat?

 

@Philbee training of the dogs  to respond to the presence of AFB is just a question of conditioning. It’s like teaching a dog to search explosives when buried under ground. IED , gas leaks, people buried in the snow etc. 

so yes it can be done. The question is it practical? Answer :could be especially if there have been hives in that particular location before and there are concerns about the presence of AFB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rene Gloor said:

@Philbee training of the dogs  to respond to the presence of AFB is just a question of conditioning. It’s like teaching a dog to search explosives when buried under ground. IED , gas leaks, people buried in the snow etc. 

so yes it can be done. The question is it practical? Answer :could be especially if there have been hives in that particular location before and there are concerns about the presence of AFB 

Well I suppose if someone wants to go there its up to them
The money would be better spent by sending the dogs into the bush with GPS collars and finding wild AFB seeder Hives.
Thats where the AFB thats blamed on ground spores probably comes from

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One local major Beekeeping organisation in the Waikato have had an outbreak of AFB and have been burning contaminated boxes for a couple months. Unfortunately they also stacked some on a pallet and wrapped them ready for destruction, but before they could another employee picked up the infected boxes, and mixed them with the other stock. Too often I hear the risk of spreading AFB is elevated by the hobbiest beekeeper, however I do question whether an organisation running 5,000, 10,000 or 30,000 hives can manage, minimise, and contain AFB. I think you would all agree that major operators are as much of a risk to the industry as a hobbiest is. Your thoughts.

  • Agree 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Kyle Hunter said:

One local major Beekeeping organisation in the Waikato have had an outbreak of AFB and have been burning contaminated boxes for a couple months. Unfortunately they also stacked some on a pallet and wrapped them ready for destruction, but before they could another employee picked up the infected boxes, and mixed them with the other stock. Too often I hear the risk of spreading AFB is elevated by the hobbiest beekeeper, however I do question whether an organisation running 5,000, 10,000 or 30,000 hives can manage, minimise, and contain AFB. I think you would all agree that major operators are as much of a risk to the industry as a hobbiest is. Your thoughts.

There are all sorts of answers to your post but the most appropriate may be to point out that actual fault is secondary to a repair plan.
Its likely that the repair plan will identify a start point and a direction forward.
My personal view is that that start point needs to be in the zones of highest infection, and guess what? that just happens to be zones where there are high numbers of Hobby and semi commercial hives.
Whether that indicates "fault" is a secondary but important issue because if a repair is achieved it cannot be allowed to relapse

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kyle Hunter said:

but before they could another employee picked up the infected boxes, and mixed them with the other stock. 

 

Imagine been that person....  I guess there wasn't some "AFB- To Destroy" on the pallet.  Is this a fact or just a story/rumour though?

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

first business i bought had afb, after burning most of the hives and older gear, i still had 16 palletts of supposedly clean honey boxes with only 1 season in them.

I had purchased another business, with the new business when i had placed all hives on honey sites i was 20 boxes short of having 3 honey boxes on all hives, so i grabbed 20 from the supposedly clean gear. when taking honey off a month later i had twenty hives with afb all the same age and all the same honey boxes from the supposedly clean gear. spent the weekend burning 20 hives and 16 palletts of supposedly clean gear. You can get rid of it in your business if you are prepared to do what is needed.

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dennis Crowley said:

first business i bought had afb, after burning most of the hives and older gear, i still had 16 palletts of supposedly clean honey boxes with only 1 season in them.

I had purchased another business, with the new business when i had placed all hives on honey sites i was 20 boxes short of having 3 honey boxes on all hives, so i grabbed 20 from the supposedly clean gear. when taking honey off a month later i had twenty hives with afb all the same age and all the same honey boxes from the supposedly clean gear. spent the weekend burning 20 hives and 16 palletts of supposedly clean gear. You can get rid of it in your business if you are prepared to do what is needed.

Yep .... been there done that ..... like me you must have 20/20 vision  now.   Good lord, if i knew then what I know now ....... which is why I love this forum.  A lot of Nu Bees can trawl through all the talk and pull out some diamonds.

  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/05/2018 at 6:52 PM, Gino de Graaf said:

 

Imagine been that person....  I guess there wasn't some "AFB- To Destroy" on the pallet.  Is this a fact or just a story/rumour though?

 

There is a story very similar to this in the yellow book.

Edited by cBank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...