john berry

Hastings and area AFB outbreak

I gues irradiation  = eradication?

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, M4tt said:

If a new disease came in that threatened to wipe out Beekeeping completely ,and threaten the value of exports  I’d expect MPI to manage the situation similarly

And it did when varroa was found in the South Island and eradication was tried.

It’s off the back of my experience with MPI at that time that has completely put me off any kind of GIA as it’s just a money pit to throw your money into with nothing to gain at the end.

Govt departments are particularly good at spending other people’s money.

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 1

“Depopulation programme” is a nice euphemism.

• Agree 1

Dairy farming is a simple model to replicate

It is so easy that even Bankers, Accountants, Lawyers   ex Sheep Farmers and polytechnic graduates can grasp it.
Beekeeping,.... well thats a different story.

• Haha 2

I heard there was an influx of hives from outside the region for poloniation of orchards due to a shortage of hives in Hawkesbay/Hastings area. I'd be looking in that direction. I think blaming beginners who probably due to there newness to hiving may tend to check too much rather than not enough is a bit unfair.  

On 12/12/2017 at 9:44 PM, cBank said:

However what do you do when there is no funding to do it? If this sort of problem was faced by the diary industry I suspect funding would appear. Of particular interest, the recent cattle cull for mycoplasma bovis seems to have the government paying for new cattle herds

i think it comes down to income from beekeeping vs income from cattle. 

Question for you Depauws. Are there many wild hives in your country? Also, do you think there is a danger that people who find AFB would quietly burn the hive without reporting it, so that the whole apiary does not have to be burned?

Edited by Alastair
  • Like 2

Welcome to NZBees @Depauws. Thanks for sharing. It's interesting to hear how other countries manage AFB. How many beekeepers are there in Belgium? How many beekeeper inspectors do you have? How much do beekeepers >25 hives pay annually?

I don't support compensation because of fair whack of it would go to beekeepers who just don't deserve it. As for burning a whole apiary for one hive I don't think it's justified but we do have the ludicrous situation in New Zealand now where 15 hives can have AFB and you're not allowed to order destruction on the one that doesn't. Where inspectors find dead robbed out AFB hives in an apiary I think a destruction order would be warranted and certainly deserved.

• Agree 2

Compensation for AFB would be a slippery slope
Imagine the real possibility of it becoming more profitable than Honey

• Sad 1

I have been sligjtly tight for time so in winter decided to reduce numbers by around 50% (lack of time due to having carpal tunnel opperations on both wrists). Am very glad I did, insted of the extra inspections being a challenge I would have been in real troble.

I am suprised that the extraxtion plants dont have dogs working pulling out pallets that have undecected AFB in it.

If AFB is found, and recognised, most people seem to do the right thing and just burn their hives.  But I think it is then grossly under-reported to the AFB Mmt Board.  Based upon conversations with bk's I think it would be five times under-reported I'd guess.  But really the reporting is not that important I don't think, it is dealing with the problem when you have it.  There is no excuse really to have a hive that had died of AFB and is sitting there being robbed out.  Part of having bees and hives should be some recognition that you have a responsibility to not pass disease onto other beekeepers, just like for example as a driver on the road I'm expected to not crash into other vehicles.  So where AFB and particularly AFB rob-outs occur there should be warnings issued / education to the offender and then if it happens again straight into a system of substantial fines and penalties for the offender.  It is only where personal risk and loss is seen that those don't do the right thing will respond. 

On a side note, I think it is great when I get contact from the local AFB guy to arrange a check on one of my apiaries, it is good to know a fresh set of eyes will be on the brood and that the pretty substantial levy I pay is being put to work.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, CraBee said:

But really the reporting is not that important I don't think, it is dealing with the problem when you have it.  There is no excuse really to have a hive that had died of AFB and is sitting there being robbed out. 

Completely agree

Edited by frazzledfozzle
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

But really the reporting is not that important I don't think,

yes and no on that.

its important, maybe not to you but certainly to others. keep in mind that you don't get to see the whole picture.

the whole picture only gets revealed when everyone reports it. 

for eg if everyone reports it and afb cluster shows up then they know someone in that aera has let afb hives be robbed out. then you know where to start looking.

if beeks do not report it, then the problem gets hidden away.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, CraBee said:

If AFB is found, and recognised, most people seem to do the right thing and just burn their hives.  But I think it is then grossly under-reported to the AFB Mmt Board.  Based upon conversations with bk's I think it would be five times under-reported I'd guess.  But really the reporting is not that important I don't think, it is dealing with the problem when you have it.  There is no excuse really to have a hive that had died of AFB and is sitting there being robbed out.  Part of having bees and hives should be some recognition that you have a responsibility to not pass disease onto other beekeepers, just like for example as a driver on the road I'm expected to not crash into other vehicles.  So where AFB and particularly AFB rob-outs occur there should be warnings issued / education to the offender and then if it happens again straight into a system of substantial fines and penalties for the offender.  It is only where personal risk and loss is seen that those don't do the right thing will respond. 

On a side note, I think it is great when I get contact from the local AFB guy to arrange a check on one of my apiaries, it is good to know a fresh set of eyes will be on the brood and that the pretty substantial levy I pay is being put to work.

Unfortunately in this day and age of being able to grab a RTG hive from Farmlands , and house a swarm , with no education about AFB or anything else , AFB elimination won’t happen anytime soon 

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, tristan said:

the whole picture only gets revealed when everyone reports it. 

for eg if everyone reports it and afb cluster shows up then they know someone in that aera has let afb hives be robbed out. then you know where to start looking.

if beeks do not report it, then the problem gets hidden away.

Thats a very good point 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, john berry said:

It's amazing how many foul broods are found by inspectors and then miraculously for the next year or two the beekeeper reports nothing and then an inspector finds a whole lot more. The management agency needs to wake up to the fact that some people out there lie through their back teeth. I don't mind paying the levy as it is really my only protection from the bee havers out there but I would like to see a bit of teeth in the legislation and some cost recovery so that it doesn't all fall on the honest and competent beekeepers. 

to add to that there is the attitude that its the inspectors job to go find it, not mine. after all thats what we pay them to do.

i think Goodwin has spoken about that in the past.  

• Agree 1

So we have an outbreak of a notifiable disease in the Hawke Bay
Why isnt it  front page news and all over the TV?

• Agree 1

has any country ever got rid of afb.  looking at it from a practical point of view, afb is just going to have to be managed and delt with the way that we are doing it.  even the afb organisations name states the management agency National American Foulbrood Pest Management Plan. Shouldn't it be the elimination agency?

If It was taken seriously by the governing body wouldn't it be treated a little bit more like bovine TB.

also for the nerds out there where did AFB originate, was it some thing that honey bees have always had? or was it to do with humans and farming bees?

• Like 2