Document Understanding the risks associated with tutin 2017

Understanding the risks associated with tutin 2017

Understanding the risks associated with Tutin

Hello on behalf of Apiculture NZ and MPI. This summer we are repeating our tutin awareness campaign of previous years, but with a difference. We will, as before, post pieces of information about tutin periodically to this discussion thread. In addition, for the first time we will be encouraging you to ask questions about tutin and the risks,  and these will be responded to by MPI weekly.

To kick things off, we have refreshed the tutin information paper that has been on this site for the past 12 months. Take a look and let us know what you think. The risk period for tutin starts shortly and there are steps you can take now to prepare. The paper discusses these.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Okay gents please settle down. At the risk of being shot down I'm going to defend the original post.    Tutin is a serious risk. It deserves  to be pushed, even if only for the benefit of ne

For those of you asking if ApiNZ is involved in any work on the management/eradication of scolypopa we have raised this with the Science and Research Focus Group which will be meeting earlier than usu

Hi Rob, as far as I know there is no direct research into the passionvine hopper issue, but there has been bits and pieces. The GWA research was done as a lot of other industries could see how th

Posted Images

10 hours ago, ApiNZ_tutin said:

The risk period for tutin starts shortly and there are steps you can take now to prepare. The paper discusses these.

Beekeepers in Waikato and Hawkes Bay are already reporting scollypopa nymphs in their gardens. Is this early or is it normal?

Looks to me the weather conditions are ideal in the Waikato and Hawkes Bay with the lack of rainfall, increase in temperatures making for a dry December.  I think John Berry raised the question once regarding the level of research being done elsewhere but nothing regarding scollypopa.    I agree and all good to get the same old information bulletin but is there anything more proactively being done out there or is it a regional problem?  I asked the same question of MPI and Assure Quality when I received the latest notice but never received a response.

40 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Beekeepers in Waikato and Hawkes Bay are already reporting scollypopa nymphs in their gardens. Is this early or is it normal?

I am concerned about tutin this year.

The migrant beeks around me always have their honey tested and it is negative, even though we have tutu around the coast.

But this year everything is flowering at once and If the flow  Peters out and is still hot the bees may turn to tutu 

• Agree 2
  • Good Info 1
12 hours ago, kaihoka said:

I am concerned about tutin this year.

The migrant beeks around me always have their honey tested and it is negative, even though we have tutu around the coast.

But this year everything is flowering at once and If the flow  Peters out and is still hot the bees may turn to tutu 

Do you get passion vine hoppers ?

We do but have no tutu, although I still test 

How many years of clear tests do we have to have before an area is classed as safe ?  The local council here has people go around our sections making sure we haven't got any noxious plants growing amongst our shrubs and ornamentals. 

You've got to wonder why the government hasn't taken the initiative in regards to Tutu.

Just now, Over Worker said:

You've got to wonder why the government hasn't taken the initiative in regards to Tutu.

To do what ? Without Tutu half our roadside/streamside and river beds would end up washed out to sea

• Agree 3
59 minutes ago, Over Worker said:

How many years of clear tests do we have to have before an area is classed as safe ?  The local council here has people go around our sections making sure we haven't got any noxious plants growing amongst our shrubs and ornamentals. 

But Tutu hasn't done anything wrong..it's not an invasive species. I think the most toxic is endemic and of cultural importance.

This is just something you have to manage and deal with.

• Agree 2
2 hours ago, M4tt said:

Do you get passion vine hoppers ?

We do but have no tutu, although I still test 

Yes we get vine hoppers .

Never that bad , more in the coastal BlackBerry .

Every year I check the tutin around the beach to see if there is hoppers in there and have not seen any .

I think the wind blows them away and usually it is too cool in the gullies.

But it may not be cool anywhere this year 

Edited by kaihoka
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

@ApiNZ_tutin is ApiNZ doing anything about Tutin other than drawing attention to it through websites such as this?

I'm not sure what else could be done but keen to hear what the big brains have come up with. 

Bet you $1.00 that you will not get a reply @Rob Stockley , @ApiNZ_tutin . They certainly did not reply last season.

Well there is plenty of research into the Giant Willow Aphid I am sure there could be something done about Scollypopa. It is impossible to manage the Tutu as there is an awful lot of it and it is only when the scollypopa get to it that there is a problem.

21 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Bet you $1.00 that you will not get a reply @Rob Stockley , @ApiNZ_tutin . They certainly did not reply last season.

I'm certain that's not the image Karin Koss would want portrayed. If they don't want to participate then they could always buy advertising.  Maybe @Dennis Crowley could look into it. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, BJC said:

Well there is plenty of research into the Giant Willow Aphid I am sure there could be something done about Scollypopa. It is impossible to manage the Tutu as there is an awful lot of it and it is only when the scollypopa get to it that there is a problem.

I think you'll find a certain amount of work has been done on the Passion Vine Hopper, it's the vector for the bacteria that kills our Cabbage Trees. 

• Good Info 1

Great to see this thread generating discussion already. Your questions have been noted and will be responded to shortly. Did you know that MPI has a FaceBook page? In addition to using this thread you may like to communicate with them directly. I will be back in the next few days with answers to the questions posed already. In the meantime, keep them coming.

2 hours ago, ApiNZ_tutin said:

Great to see this thread generating discussion already. Your questions have been noted and will be responded to shortly. Did you know that MPI has a FaceBook page? In addition to using this thread you may like to communicate with them directly. I will be back in the next few days with answers to the questions posed already. In the meantime, keep them coming.

Why cannot questions be answered right away.  In today's world of modern communications we are all looking for instant replies.

Nothing has been asked here that requires a committee to reply to.

For starters.  One of the earlier questions that has not been replied to.Who are you please.  So that we at least know who we are talking to.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
On 12/9/2017 at 2:56 PM, Rob Stockley said:

@ApiNZ_tutin is ApiNZ doing anything about Tutin other than drawing attention to it through websites such as this?

I'm not sure what else could be done but keen to hear what the big brains have come up with. 

Hi @Rob Stockley,

Thanks for your feedback. ApiNZ is working with MPI to develop and deliver information on tutin during the high-risk period to all registered beekeepers via multiple channels, including this forum as well as the NZ Beekeeper Journal, an email to all registered beekeepers, and offers of updates from MPI at club and hub meetings. Following feedback from last year, as a new feature MPI are answering any technical questions via this discussion thread. Raising awareness about tutin is crucial at this time of year and we want to make sure all beekeepers understand what it is and what their legal obligations and options are for meeting them.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Karin Kos said:

as a new feature MPI are answering any technical questions via this discussion thread

Exactly WHO please ?   ( And for the avoidance of accusation of hypocrisy, I have identified myself as Tony Haddon, earlier on in the forum :IMG_0380:)

Edited by yesbut
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Why cannot questions be answered right away.  In today's world of modern communications we are all looking for instant replies.

Nothing has been asked here that requires a committee to reply to.

For starters.  One of the earlier questions that has not been replied to.Who are you please.  So that we at least know who we are talking to.

Hi Trevor, Tommy and others wanting to know who ApiNZ_tutin is. We are research consultants from Catalyst Ltd. Apiculture NZ has asked us to assist them and MPI with their tutin awareness campaign again this summer. We have worked with the industry for a number of years now on this campaign and other industry projects. As Karin Kos has pointed out, in addition to posting on this forum we are sharing information through a number of other channels. We took note of your feedback last year and have included this year a more interactive approach. We welcome your questions and will endeavour to have them answered by the Animal Products Group at MPI promptly.

• Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, yesbut said:

Exactly WHO please ?   ( And for the avoidance of accusation of hypocrisy, I have identified myself as Tony Haddon, earlier on in the forum :IMG_0380:)

The team from the Animal Products Group at MPI will be answering your questions.

1 minute ago, ApiNZ_tutin said:

The team from the Animal Products Group at MPI will be answering your questions.

Ok.so we are just going around in circles.  It is no wonder nothing gets done or answered.  Why not get someone who has the knowledge to answer the questions rather than have this roundabout.  We are paying for a consultant (Apinz and MPI) to promote something and the consultant cannot answer the questions.   I think this is just an exercise in time wasting.

• Like 1