December 2017 Beekeeping Diary

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cracked the lids on ours today, finally some progress! Looking good for Xmas presents☺☺

It must have been the day for scraping and jarring. I got some lovely light honey with a lemony tang to it.  

Today I took some honey off my hives. It's only taken 3 years to get surplus honey . Like waiting for a orange off an Orange tree or a peach. I took three capped frames and did the scrape an

Posted Images

From trying both I found the Scott towels worked better ie lasted longer than the super cheap ones and with the Scott towels it's not ripped out in big chunks. 

The super cheap ones where in a box and looked and felt like stiffer kitchen towels

47 minutes ago, Hector Wong said:

My queen are usually below the queen excluder.

36 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

If I ran 3/4 then that'd be 2x 3/4 below an excluder.

there is a thing that the queen is always in the top box when your running two brood boxes. of course thats not strictly true.

44 minutes ago, tristan said:

there is a thing that the queen is always in the top box when your running two brood boxes. of course thats not strictly true.

When I was doing Spring splits I found the Queen more often than not in the top box and in one of the middle four frames.  Just saying.  

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

How so? When I take honey off I only have one box to check. If I ran 3/4 gear I'd be checking two boxes. Just saying.

I was referring to the comparative ease of handling and examining  3/4 frames.

Edited by yesbut
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
6 hours ago, Michelle L. said:

...she was very fast. Kept moving from one side of the frame to the other. Couldn't get her to stay still so I just watched. I realised she was trying to go down whichever angle I tipped the frame. 

Moving down or moving to the dark side (so to speak)?