Josh

NZBF Quick bit of advice/mentorship

So after my failed attempt at a split, I have about 8 frames of mixed dead brood (chilled as the colony shrunk)

I'm happy there is no AFB etc.

I want my strong hive to tidy it up rather than dump it all in the solar melter.

So, do I put it on my strong hive above the QE?

But my thinking is that this will be hard to clear the debris past and may discourage the bees from properly cleaning it up.

Or Do I move a box up above the QE and replace it with these old frames, then move them above later (dark comb that needs to be recycled)?

I work in ¾ only. The strong home hive has 2 boxes of 8 frames brood/stores. The bottom brood box is rather under developed with mixed frames of pollen and drawing out etc. Another option I've considered is to ignore my old frames for now, and rotate the bottom brood up to level 3 to encourage the bees to develop the frames better.

I've seen no suggestion of swarming, and I'll be requeening next year, so all these manipulations are for the benefit of hive frame developement/cleanup.

Another good option.... don't mess around with the hive, the bees know best.

Thanks in advance, and any experienced beek who likes a good cup of coffee/tea is always welcome.

Melt it down. Not worth bothering with. Also not worth the risk of transferring a subclinical afb infection

Edited by Aquila
  • Agree 1

for gods sake! melt it! or throw it away but dont risk the health of another hive! ther is NO benefit in putting frames of a dead hive into another hive!

especially if youre not 100% sure about the cause of its death

• Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Christi An said:

especially if youre not 100% sure about the cause of its death

OP is 100% sure its chilled brood. I'm with @Alastair. Provided the frames aren't covered in fruiting mold I'd stick the box on top of a strong hive. 

• Agree 1

It's like this. You make a split, it doesn't work out, you have to melt the  whole thing?

I can see not using stuff from a deadout if it could have afb. But in this case he knows where the hive came from, and why it died.

• Agree 2

Thanks for the advice guys, I’m happpy this hive is just a failed (no queen generated) split. And I’ll put the box above the brood of my strong hive

• Like 2