Swarm Removal, and Ethics

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Common law, is that a swarm of bees is the property of whoever captures it.   But. Several times I have had bee swarms removed, after I have boxed them. To me, this is taking a liberty with

Perhaps it's time to purchase an RFID scanner  and a quantity of compatible tags that can be embedded in bee boxes. Then be on the lookout for possible bad actors. Answer advertisements for

That's not cool. We caught and boxed a swarm on the Shore this time last year, and same thing, had left the nuc box strapped in the tree to collect when it was dark. Came back and it was gone. The box

14 hours ago, Alastair said:

Personally I think it's getting worse as I have heard of it happening to others too. Years ago I used to leave boxed swarms in public places and never had an issue.

But seems to me like "bee mania" is now at a cyclical top, and beginning a decline.

If people start giving up on bees and selling their gear I wonder what would be safe to buy.

Some  gear could be pretty new 

18 hours ago, kaihoka said:

If people start giving up on bees and selling their gear I wonder what would be safe to buy.

Some  gear could be pretty new 

that will cause massive problems.

i've dealt with people who sat on their infected gear for 3-4 years before flicking it off on TM.

there is always some greedy ###### who will buy it because its cheap and take the risk. then they will be the next headache.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

they may not be greedy , they may just be broke

i have already done the second hand stuff and would not again.

but there could be a lot of gear floating around on trade me if bee keeping goes off its fashionable status.

Edited by kaihoka

It could be peakbee but the Manuka is putting on a late show, might keep some in the game. I heard of one guy who went commercial two years ago with a few hundred hives. Got rid of half after last years poor show and turned to making nucs. It seems every one and their goat are trying to sell nucs; flooding the market. He's getting out. Just have to ride out the boom and bust.

• Like 2

Perhaps it's time to purchase an RFID scanner  and a quantity of compatible tags that can be embedded in bee boxes.

Then be on the lookout for possible bad actors.

Answer advertisements for hives, nucs,  and equipment for sale. Scan the boxes, and see if the missing tag(s) turn up.

If you see hives on the other side of the fence and you don't know the beek,  scan them.

Keep documentation of the IDs you purchase so you have proof they're yours.

If the police don't want to get involved,  leave the bad actor a note saying you know who he/she is and what he/she has done with the hopes it will scare him/her off.

Publicize that the club as a group will be buying a large quantity of RFID tags for everyone who wants to put tags in their equipment... including non-club-members!!!

The more IDs out there, the riskier it is for the bad actor to purloin equipment in the future.

Hide the tags. Scrape a layer of paint off, apply the tag, Spackle™ over the damage, and repaint. 

Keep track of IDs  legally sold with equipment so mistakes aren't made.

The $100 (chiphandle) from amazon is targeted to veterinarians. (seems appropriate)

RFID Reader hardware is available for Arduino and even for smart phones.

Tags in small quantity are available for 30¢ each.  Alien 9662 $130 per roll of 500

If this problem has reached the annoyance level this carping suggests, then it's time to act on the frustration.

That's my 2¢ from across the pond

(oakland, ca, usa)

• Thanks 1
  • Good Info 2