yesbut

Bee poo

Hilarious. They’ve built that subdivision on the rural fringe of the city next to an existing apiary. 

That’s like buying next to school and complaining about noisy children. 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Josh said:

Hilarious. They’ve built that subdivision on the rural fringe of the city next to an existing apiary. 

That’s like buying next to school and complaining about noisy children. 

But it sounds like everyone is being reasonable and good humored about it .

3 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

But it sounds like everyone is being reasonable and good humored about it .

Mmm, not so sure. End result is apiary location becomes common knowledge, and has to move. 

45 minutes ago, beefree said:

That's my "rural" queen rearing and cell raising site, lol.

The photos show a lot of trees surrounding the apiary. Hard to imagine that screens would make much of a difference. I feel for ya. Progress, eh?

Maybe you could suggest that if they want to dissuade bees then they should remove all plants that are attractive to bees....:ph34r:.... Perhaps save that suggestion for when things really head south. 

Edited by Rob Stockley

5 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Maybe you could suggest that if they want to dissuade bees then they should remove all plants that are attractive to bees....:ph34r:.... Perhaps save that suggestion for when things really head south. 

They already chopped down a line of willows to make way for the houses. It would be a shame to have to be forced out as it has a good diversity of pollen all year round.

10 minutes ago, beefree said:

They already chopped down a line of willows to make way for the houses. It would be a shame to have to be forced out as it has a good diversity of pollen all year round.

Interesting. So they chopped down the natural barrier that would have saved them from poopocalypse. All together now, hmmm....

So if they reinstated those trees (or hedge) on their boundary then in a few years time all would be rosy. 

Edited by Rob Stockley
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Interesting. So they chopped down the natural barrier that would have saved them from poopocalypse. All together now, hmmm....

That wouldn't of blocked them, but there are huge tall Poplar's between the site and houses, but they flying around them and through a small gap which unfortunately funnels them over the houses.

Edited by beefree

I wouldn't be in a hurry to move out that's for sure. Put it onto the householders to locate a new site for you. "Sure I'm happy to relocate if you find a spot for me"

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, beefree said:

That wouldn't of blocked them, but there are huge tall Poplar's between the site and houses, but they flying around them and through a small gap which unfortunately funnels them over the houses.

Perfect. Plant a few canes in the gap. Job done. 

4 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I wouldn't be in a hurry to move out that's for sure. Put it onto the householders to locate a new site for you. "Sure I'm happy to relocate if you find a spot for me"

That was one of my thoughts too, if they could convince the council to let me into the red zone, I would be more than happy to move, so much land that's ideal for bee sites while still having a huge diversity of plants around.

p.s. The other great thing about that current site is it's about 500m from our business base is and workshop. It's quite handy pulling cells out and only driving for 2mins to drop them into the incubator.

Edited by beefree
  • Like 3

How's your Karamea thing working out ?

2 minutes ago, yesbut said:

How's your Karamea thing working out ?

No hives there currently as it's just been too far away to look after the hives property, it's been hard enough having my hives spread all over Christchurch but that's because I still have silly 5 hive sites all over the show, worked well when I had more time.  But I hear the weather is good over there at the mo and the Kamahi sounds like it's in full force, would of been a good opportunity if I was more "organized". :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, beefree said:

Stuff rejected my comment I made below the article. :(

You're not special. Seems I don't make the cut either. 

I think you should email and ask why they trespassed on your site and why you where not contacted for you side of the story. As our country side gets swallowed by lawn they will learn it's not much fun eating grass. We look at buying that paddock that's now cardboard houses before the quake but didn't because it was a swamp and to close to town hind site ay 

• Like 1

On 25/11/2017 at 6:47 PM, beefree said:

No hives there currently as it's just been too far away to look after the hives property, it's been hard enough having my hives spread all over Christchurch but that's because I still have silly 5 hive sites all over the show, worked well when I had more time.  But I hear the weather is good over there at the mo and the Kamahi sounds like it's in full force, would of been a good opportunity if I was more "organized". :)

If you can make it to karamea it will be well worth it .

Karamea will be very similar to us now I think .

The rata may be covered in buds like ours is .

"There must be thousands and thousands of bees there”

Thousands of bees? In a bee hive? Is that even safe?

• Haha 1