Donna K

Question Best way to introduce cell queen cell into queenless hive

Question

I'm a second year beekeeper.  Three weeks ago I caught a swarm.  On first inspection I did not see any eggs (I'm hopeless at spotting the queen).  The hive was busy, lots of bees coming and going, even put on a second brood box on during this first inspection as they were fairly tight with space.  On second inspection after going through all the frames (20), the only eggs I spotted were two, which were on the side of a cell.  Also found a couple of large drone brood cells, which had already hatched.  It looked like the hive was queenless!  I have located three capped queen cells - what is the best way to introduce these?  Should I made a nuc or two, or place all three in the hive?  Should the capped queen cell be in a cover?  If so what is best?  Advice appreciated.

7 answers to this question

These capped queen cells are in another hive? If so, the safest way is transfer the whole frame they are on into the other hive.

Hi Alastair, wish they were but I am buying three either this afternoon or tomorrow and placing into the queenless hive.  

Next swarm you house, leave it a couple of weeks before poking around. new Qs  are easily disturbed and vulnerable. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Have you no other hives that you could transfer a frame of eggs across?

As a hobby it's cool to raise your own queens especially if you have a good quiet hive with a queen that is a good prolific layer. Keep those traits.

Just a thought... plenty people out there that will take your money.

Good advice, but unfortunately can't do :(  Last year was my first year beekeeping and I had a brilliant hive, just the one, but sadly lost it late autumn.  Now I have two hives from swarms.  The other hive swarmed, a week after it was rehoused.  I did spot a capped queen cell when last opened, two weeks ago.  Fingers crossed it has mated successfully.  So I need to intervene in the queenless hive and think the only way is to introduce capped queen cells or a virgin queen.

5 hours ago, Donna K said:

Good advice, but unfortunately can't do :(  Last year was my first year beekeeping and I had a brilliant hive, just the one, but sadly lost it late autumn.  Now I have two hives from swarms.  The other hive swarmed, a week after it was rehoused.  I did spot a capped queen cell when last opened, two weeks ago.  Fingers crossed it has mated successfully.  So I need to intervene in the queenless hive and think the only way is to introduce capped queen cells or a virgin queen.

You will only need one of either, cell or queen. You don’t need to add 3 queen cells, just one. If the other swarm you caught is more advanced and has some brood to spare you could swap a frame over to see if they will raise a queen.

• Agree 1

In case it helps Donna, I had a queenless

swarm recently (the person who found it sprayed it with fly spray).

They had a laying worker, but it wasn’t 2 eggs per cell, it was about 8 or 10. They weren’t in there all nicely, they were sprinkled all over the place. More telling was the behaviour of the hive. The bees flew out when I opened it and they were really unsettled. A tiny puff of smoke and they took off.

I added a caged virgin and 3-4 frames of brood  and supplies (capped brood mainly, not grubs that need feeding) then waited a week, checked she had got out, then left them for a while. I was supposed to wait for 3-4 weeks after introduction before opening, but I got impatient and looked after just 2.5. I wouldn’t do that again, but I did get away with. Lots of eggs were there and it’s now a nice little hive.

• Like 2