dansar

New frames from Ecrotek

Has anyone purchased these and has in use? 

I wonder if they would make a bumble bee sized drone if used in the brood box?

CBEE64DD-764C-4EB1-B228-B3C3E90516FA.thumb.png.dcf83d0311439f36cd40f72c2f643723.png

6 hours ago, dansar said:

CBEE64DD-764C-4EB1-B228-B3C3E90516FA.thumb.png.dcf83d0311439f36cd40f72c2f643723.png

Why are they re inventing the wheel ?

• Haha 1

I havent used them, but they sound good. 

When I used to use wood frames /wax foundation I used as much drone comb as possible in the honey boxes which is basically the same idea - less surface area in the comb = less friction for extraction.

It's a good idea but I do not know many beekeepers looking to invest in replacing honey frames currently! Will be mainly adopted by the new guys with big expectations I imagine. 

• Like 1
  • Good Info 2

21 hours ago, dansar said:

@Lucy Tasker has responded to my assumption and confirmed that they're ecrotek drone frames, but in pink:

Edited by tommy dave

Hey guys! Here to answer any questions you may have on our new HoneyMax frames :)

On 11/23/2017 at 12:39 AM, dansar said:

Pink Honey frames.....

Made for a Pink Cat , for easy harvesting with a spoon.....

• Haha 1

Are they available in 3/4 Manley?

On 11/24/2017 at 11:26 PM, Jamo said:

Are they available in 3/4 Manley?

Hey @Jamo, they're not currently available in 3/4 Depth. Dependent on this season's demand we may have them available for next year (2019 Honey season).

5 hours ago, Lucy Tasker said:

Hey @Jamo, they're not currently available in 3/4 Depth. Dependent on this season's demand we may have them available for next year (2019 Honey season).

before i forget again, thank the boss for the drone frame samples. i cut them down to 3/4 and have been trailing them for the last two seasons.

i asked about making them in 3/4 a few years ago.

not sure if manly would be a good width as you would loose a frame to be able to use it as a drone frame.

• Like 1

Hi @Lucy Tasker not directly related however I see the new stamped frames for 2018 are not really that easy to see.  Maybe the stamp could be a little deeper.  Not really a big deal just given feedback. 

10 hours ago, flash4cash said:

Hi @Lucy Tasker not directly related however I see the new stamped frames for 2018 are not really that easy to see.  Maybe the stamp could be a little deeper.  Not really a big deal just given feedback. 

Hi @flash4cash, thanks for the feedback! Unfortunately this is the maximum depth we could achieve without causing production issues.

Who ever makes a 3/4 plastic drone frame first will have a few customers coming out of the "woodwork" to purchase some

We have been using the green plastic drone frames for probably six years for drone production I've got about 80 frames, I to had to cut them down to 3/4 but that leaves strength issue as they have no bottom, and there's no way you would get them though a automatic pricker anymore, I initially used them in a honey box to draw them out and was instantly impressed at how fast the drew them and stored honey they seem to love it, if I ran full depth honey boxes I would have converted to them ages ago ( only if manley). I would most certainly buy them if you did them in 3/4 manley. they would only be replacement now as i'm not about to change out 25000 frames.

@tristan we can fit one manley frame with 9 hoffmans its tight but is workable.

What I don't get what's the difference between the green drone frame and these new pink ones except the obvious, is the cell size different again or is that they just changed the colour? 

They make 3/4 drone frames in the USA 

i seen in the overseas Beekeeper mag 

they don’t make drone frames in New Zealand 

they import them I think 

Edited by Chris Valentine

50 minutes ago, tony said:

We have been using the green plastic drone frames for probably six years for drone production I've got about 80 frames, I to had to cut them down to 3/4 but that leaves strength issue as they have no bottom, and there's no way you would get them though a automatic pricker anymore, I initially used them in a honey box to draw them out and was instantly impressed at how fast the drew them and stored honey they seem to love it, if I ran full depth honey boxes I would have converted to them ages ago ( only if manley). I would most certainly buy them if you did them in 3/4 manley. they would only be replacement now as i'm not about to change out 25000 frames.

What I don't get what's the difference between the green drone frame and these new pink ones except the obvious, is the cell size different again or is that they just changed the colour? 

it would make more sense as a manly frame as your not going to be using them for brood anyway.

so if you run FD brood and 3/4 honey, it would be something to look at.

On 4/14/2018 at 4:10 PM, tony said:

Hi @tony,

If you look further up the chain you can see my earlier reply:  

The HoneyMax frames are the same as drone frames and pricing is the same for that reason  We found them to be verybeneficial when used in honey boxes, and the pink colouring is for easy recognition.  

and

They're not currently available in 3/4 Depth. Dependent on this season's demand we may have them available for next year (2019 Honey season).

:)