JasonK

Allergic to bees!

My girlfriend is allergic to bee stings. I’m wondering which anti histamines I should buy? I may buy an epi pen online too. Thanks

How allergic? Pop in to a pharmacy and ask them but we give a loratadine or two for many types of allergic reaction at work, with a follow up dose to take in the evening if things are not settling.

Adrenaline is something pretty full on to be giving and exposing someone to something that causes a reaction that serious is deeply unwise - however it reads like that isn’t what you’re doing...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Allergic or just has the reactions that stings are meant to cause? In that case most over the counter antihistamines should help

If you're looking at proper anaphylactic allergy she should have an epipen with her all the time, but they aren't 100% foolproof and you would want to limit her exposure to your bees as much as possible - to the point of not having them at home (if you're living together or she's around often). Anaphylaxis is bloody serious.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Good Info 1

I had a GP tell me he was allergic to bee stings. I asked what sort of reaction he had and he told me his hand would swell. I said that's normal, not an allergic reaction. Lol

• Agree 4
  • Haha 2

She reckons “severe swelling” and apparently has been advised that she could die if stung on neck. I find a test on her last year by dropping two drops of venom & propolis tincture on her hand and almost immediately saw a volcano erupt on the area of her hand. I’m leaking money here!! If it’s not my Bees it’s my girlfriend ?

• Haha 2

1/2 the population think they are allergic.

The life threatening reaction, anaphalaxis, does not necessarily involve a lot of swelling. Just swelling, don't worry about it.

But anyhow, antihistamine, I use razene, for people who are with me who get stung. Reasonably priced and available in the supermarket, and works well. If I'm especially worried about someone I give them the max dose, 2 pills, and as long as administered straight after they got stung it seems to limit itching and swelling well. If they do swell up I give them a couple pills to take 24 hours later as sting effects can last a few days. 

Course if I suspected anaphalaxis, it would be straight to the nearest doctor. But luckily I've never had to deal with that.

• Good Info 2

very, very well said Rob.

Antihistamines help with general reactions, but have no effect on an anaphylaxis - they won't raise your blood pressure for example,  which you need to do super fast when your blood pressure drops, because the next thing that can happen is cardiac arrest.   That's what the adrenaline is for. 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

55 minutes ago, deejaycee said:

very, very well said Rob.

I learnt from an expert B|

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

I talk to kids and parents about stings regularly. I explain it like this. 

If the sting and the reaction are in the same place then that is called a local reaction. It's not an allergic reaction. 

You can get large local reactions such as stepping on a bee and having your entire leg swell up. This maybe uncomfortable but it's still not an allergic reaction. 

If you are prone to large local reactions and you get stung anywhere near your throat or airway then you should seek medical attention with urgency.

If you get stung in one place and the reaction happens somewhere else, e.g. a rash on another part of the body, breathing difficulty or anything not connected to the area stung, then this is an allergic reaction.

Just because one allergic reaction is mild doesn't mean that the next one will also be mild. The next one could be massive and this is called anaphalactic shock. The onset of anaphylaxis can be very quick. 

If you experience an alergic reaction then you should visit your GP and have your degree of allergy assessed. Allergies can be treated and you may be wise to carry an Epipen just in case. 

School drivel over. The next bit is me on my soap box. 

We keep an Epipen at home because we have many bees and many visitors. I have no idea who is allergic and we have visitors who are unaware of our bees.  Our nearest medical centre is 6min away and the nearest hospital is 20min away. $120 every two years is small price to ensure we can get our friends and family to medical help alive.

Leaking money is preferable to leaking tears at the loss of a loved one. 

Well said. I see pens for $100 on advertised google results in NZ online stores, I’m going to get one and leave it at the house where my apiary is. I suppose I’ll just get the strongest over counter anti histamines I can find also. Peace of mind. 

• Like 1

There are non-drowsey anti-histamines - safer if you need to drive home after taking. I always have two in a small canister on my key ring, just in case.

One thing to keep in mind - antihistimes can have a really strange effect on children. A sort of demented hyperactive mania that is most unwelcome at bedtime. 

• Haha 2

On 11/25/2017 at 7:30 AM, cBank said:

One thing to keep in mind - antihistimes can have a really strange effect on children. A sort of demented hyperactive mania that is most unwelcome at bedtime. 

Are they not always like that?

• Haha 4