NZBF welcome visitors

5 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

so how long should I leave it.

24 hours

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

so how long should I leave it.

48 hrs.

bayvarol will kill +90% of mites within 48hrs. as there is no brood hatching there is no point in being linger..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tristan said:

48 hrs.

bayvarol will kill +90% of mites within 48hrs. as there is no brood hatching there is no point in being linger..

Win a few , lose a few...:8_laughing:

• Like 1

Just to note it out a quick treatment with oxalic acid (spray or vapour) would also kill 90+ % of the mites when theyre broodless... as far as i know both treatments are legal in new zealand right?

• Agree 3

Bayvarol came out today and they seem content, not at all aggressive and bringing in loads of stores.

I just took the lid off to remove so only checked the top. How long should I leave it now before having a good look?P1010462.thumb.jpg.b4935ccc7d309ef429d54770269d4a6c.jpg

25 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

Bayvarol came out today and they seem content, not at all aggressive and bringing in loads of stores.

I just took the lid off to remove so only checked the top. How long should I leave it now before having a good look?P1010462.thumb.jpg.b4935ccc7d309ef429d54770269d4a6c.jpg

Two scenarios . Either you’ve got a mated queen who will be laying by now , or you have a virgin who could be out flying getting mated . 

There is a third scenario( no queen ) but we don’t need to cross that bridge yet . 

If you pull a middle frame over the weekend and you see brood getting capped , you’ll know the queen was mated prior to arrival and will not be a virgin queen . 

If there are eggs or no eggs , you’ll have a younger virgin or newly mated queen .

Whenever you decide to do your first inspection , be very gentle and as quick as possible. 

2nd inspection once there is plenty of capped brood and then you can pull more frames and look in more depth . 

What you are trying to achieve in the meantime is as little disruption as possible to a possibly new queen 

Edited by M4tt
  • Like 2

Thanks @M4tt there was certainly a Queen there when I transferred them to there new home but no idea whether she was mated or not.

I was going to check your girls again on Sunday so I will have a quick look then, I still struggle with spotting eggs so will take a magnifier and possibly take a couple of pics.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, DuncanCook said:

I was going to check your girls again on Sunday so I will have a quick look then, I still struggle with spotting eggs so will take a magnifier and possibly take a couple of pics.

@DuncanCook I struggled at first. Better to have the glasses on!

The black plastic frames help, also having the sun behind you

They’re only eggs for 3 days, so looking for small grubs is evidence 

It really pays to know the stages of the lifecycle. 

The more you look, the more you see. 

It really helped me seeing through lots of 

@M4tt.s hives

photos are a good idea

Edited by Beefriendly

On 11/29/2017 at 10:11 PM, M4tt said:

Two scenarios . Either you’ve got a mated queen who will be laying by now , or you have a virgin who could be out flying getting mated

Found brood, some capped, today so I have a mated Queen doing what she should.

I am guessing that some of the original swarm foragers will be dying and so I might see less activity at first before the new bees come on line. Do they all have to go through nurse phases etc. or will some skip and go straight to foraging?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

Found brood, some capped, today so I have a mated Queen doing what she should.

I am guessing that some of the original swarm foragers will be dying and so I might see less activity at first before the new bees come on line. Do they all have to go through nurse phases etc. or will some skip and go straight to foraging?

Excellent . 

You are correct . They all have to go through the nurse phase first