NZBF welcome visitors

Very cool. Isn’t it great being in the right place at the right time 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

All tucked up in bed now and I am watching the Bootnecks on tv

Anything in there to lure them?

4 minutes ago, cBank said:

Anything in there to lure them?

3 drops of lemon grass oil on a cotton bud, brushed on the entrance and then put inside the box

• Good Info 1

Nice one Duncan! Looks like the right size swarm for that box. But they'll outgrow it fairly quickly no doubt.

Time to clean up that other old hive...

All done, ready and waiting Paul

I am determined not to repeat my errors although I am sure that I will find new mistakes to make.

:IMG_0385:

• Like 1

any idea how close the closest hives are to your trap?

About 250m at the moment, they are fertilising Kiwi fruit around us.

I put the trap in the position their new home will (hopefully) be and they seem pretty happy there.

Since there seemed to still be interest in the area where the trap was I put another box there, suitably baited.

There seems to be quite a bit of activity in and around it, I have tried following and I don't think it is members of the swarm returning so I am hoping that it is an advance party making the beds and sweeping the floor ready for another bunch of guests.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, DuncanCook said:

There seems to be quite a bit of activity in and around it, I have tried following and I don't think it is members of the swarm returning

Sprinkle a bit of flour over the scout bees.  You will then be able to see if white bees return to your swarm already caught.

• Good Info 2

Not sure if I have done the right thing but they seemed very happy, bringing in plenty of stores and Queen seemed happy so I have transferred them to a full size box.

They settled in well but then I wondered if I was a bit premature, they filled the 4 frames in the swarm trap but now look a bit lost in a 10 frame FD box, too late now 'cos I aint putting them back. :/

P1010460.jpg

• Like 2

You could stick a couple of Bayvarol strips in for 24 hours, while they're broodless. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yesbut said:

You could stick a couple of Bayvarol strips in for 24 hours, while they're broodless. 

Good idea, I have a few left over from Spring treatment. Thanks

1 hour ago, DuncanCook said:

Not sure if I have done the right thing but they seemed very happy, bringing in plenty of stores and Queen seemed happy so I have transferred them to a full size box.

They settled in well but then I wondered if I was a bit premature, they filled the 4 frames in the swarm trap but now look a bit lost in a 10 frame FD box, too late now 'cos I aint putting them back. :/

P1010460.jpg

The number of bees and size of that queen lead me to think that was a cast swarm with virgin queen. I'd leave them well alone for a couple of weeks. 

Arghh!! What to do?

Two highly respected members of the community both of whom have way more experience and expertise than me, one says put Bayvarol in and the other says leave them alone.

I suppose, being a swarm, worst case scenario is that I end up back where I started but I would like to keep them if I can.

Decision making is often based on risk reduction.

Treating swarms of "foreign " bees i.e. not from your perfectly managed hives,  for varroa is a very good idea especially is its only for a few days hitting "phoretic varroa" i.e. on bees not within cells.  And this may well keep the vast swarm energy going, rather than sick bees which don't come on.

@Errol S had a very good result from a swarm with many, many varroa coming down with strips in.  He may like to comment.

Remember, it's your decision ... and lots of opinions are just opinions.

There's a difference between taking the lid off for 30 seconds & easing a couple of strips in or out & spending 15 minutes minutely examining the hive. 

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, yesbut said:

There's a difference between taking the lid off for 30 seconds & easing a couple of strips in or out & spending 15 minutes minutely examining the hive. 

My understanding is that Bayverol doesn't just hit varroa mite but it also has an adverse affect on the bees so have to balance one against the other, obviously anything to reduce mite infection is good but if the swarm is secondary and already weak I don't want to make things worse.

1 hour ago, DuncanCook said:

My understanding is that Bayverol doesn't just hit varroa mite but it also has an adverse affect on the bees

Can you provide the source of this please ? 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, DuncanCook said:

My understanding is that Bayverol doesn't just hit varroa mite but it also has an adverse affect on the bees so have to balance one against the other, obviously anything to reduce mite infection is good but if the swarm is secondary and already weak I don't want to make things worse.

In my experience Bayvarol has less effect on the bees than varroa does. I have never lost a hive to Bayvarol.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, yesbut said:

Can you provide the source of this please ? 

No evidence as such @yesbut I suppose I got the impression (my wife tells me I am very impressionable) from a recent discussion on this forum regarding possible manufacturing flaws following withdrawal and then re release of the product.

4 hours ago, DuncanCook said:

No evidence as such @yesbut I suppose I got the impression (my wife tells me I am very impressionable) from a recent discussion on this forum regarding possible manufacturing flaws following withdrawal and then re release of the product.

i think you referring to apivar. small manufacturing issue which meant strips where not available for a while. no issue to the bees.

35 minutes ago, tristan said:

i think you referring to apivar. small manufacturing issue which meant strips where not available for a while. no issue to the bees.

I think you've forgotten Beyer coming on line to explain the Bayvarol issue.

34 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I think you've forgotten Beyer coming on line to explain the Bayvarol issue.

o yes i forgot. i got them mixed up .......doh.

https://www.nzbees.net/forums/topic/11155-bayvarol/?page=4&tab=comments#comment-173294

"Bayer has very high quality standards which include testing of product from all batches before it is released for sale. About a month ago, we had 2 batches fail quality release in Germany, where it is made.  The issue was too much active ingredient on the strips.  Too much active ingredient could have a potential impact on hive health and honey residues. We take the quality, safety and effectiveness of our products very seriously, so we cannot release product for sale that is not within the normal product specification.

When the initial batches failed, we implemented a contingency plan to make more and get it here via airfreight. At that time we had enough stock to meet demand, until the new product arrived.  Last week we were told it had also failed quality release and we immediately informed Ecrotek. Ecrotek and Bayer plan stock well in advance, but the quality issue meant we had little remaining stock on hand.  Ecrotek normally order stock from us as they need it so they had very little inventory also.  It is Bayer's fault that Bayvarol is out of stock, not Ecrotek's"

• Like 1

Thanks for clearing that up @yesbut and @tristan I have now put two strips in, I note on the box that it says 24 hours for diagnosis and six to eight weeks for treatment and I am guessing that neither of those apply in this situation so how long should I leave it.

Centre of the box was pretty thick with bees so I put both strips in the middle.