Type of Mask/respirator

Hi all,

I've been reading up on oxalic acid as a varroa treatment. I've bought the venom pro vaporizer but as yet haven't used it (more reading!). However I'm in the market for safety gear that I'll need to operate it.

What types of respirators do you all use/recommend?  I don't want to go to the safety shop not knowing which one I need and and up buying the wrong type.

Do I need full or half face? Goggles? Type of specific gloves?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info ☺

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When it comes to respirators I always buy the best one I can afford. Usually the more the cost the better they are

I have used these masks for years panelbeating, if I can put my 2 cents worth in, I would recommend the 7000 series silicon 3M mask in the picture, the fit and comfort is so much better than the 6000

I bought a 3M half mask with organic cartridges and seperate goggles. This was on advice from an expert and purchased from NZ Safety. When I get home I'll add photo and part numbers. 

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

Mask, organic vapour filter,  goggles, particulate filters plus retainer and a box to keep it all in. 

20171120_172417-768x1365.thumb.jpg.96d393ee044075fdeb2f29b5a7b0a0a8.jpg20171120_172423-768x1365.thumb.jpg.44c5890fe2c8bd82a272ea165fb31eb2.jpg20171120_172427-768x1365.thumb.jpg.b83fd51dd907434078b09a0378bfbb2f.jpg

Perfect, couldn't get better info than that! As they say a picture paints a thousand words ?

Thanks so much for doing this, I'll be off the the safety shop come pay day ?

On 11/20/2017 at 8:47 AM, Michelle L. said:

Hi all,

I've been reading up on oxalic acid as a varroa treatment. I've bought the venom pro vaporizer but as yet haven't used it (more reading!). However I'm in the market for safety gear that I'll need to operate it.

What types of respirators do you all use/recommend?  I don't want to go to the safety shop not knowing which one I need and and up buying the wrong type.

Do I need full or half face? Goggles? Type of specific gloves?

Thanks in advance for any advice or info ☺

When it comes to respirators I always buy the best one I can afford.

Usually the more the cost the better they are

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 2
  • 3 weeks later...

I have used these masks for years panelbeating, if I can put my 2 cents worth in, I would recommend the 7000 series silicon 3M mask in the picture, the fit and comfort is so much better than the 6000 series, fits the same filters, same box, maybe a little more expensive, not sure on price as my boss pays.

IMG_1077.thumb.JPG.1411b4badf8a2087028d78c4c130b0b8.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

I feel slightly lazy. As a hobbiest with two hives I just stand well away & up wind. And wait for it to cool properly before removing and moving to the next hive

I just upgraded to the 7000 series mask when doing epoxy or sanding bad woods. So much better than the 6000. But I couldn’t find it as a “pack” so it does get a bit more expensive with buying all the parts separately. But worth every penny. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Josh said:

I feel slightly lazy. As a hobbiest with two hives I just stand well away & up wind. And wait for it to cool properly before removing and moving to the next hive

I do the same .

When there are no more fumes I hold my breath , run in and pull the vapouriser out ,  disconnect the battery ,move away and wait till it cools.

But I only have 3 or 4 hives.

Edited by kaihoka
  • Like 1

Thanks for all your replies. I ended up getting the one in the box like Trevs.I was going to try it out last weekend but he wind was blowing a gale.so I decided to wait. I was a bit worried they were running out of room, so did a hive inspection instead. Now that I'm happy they have room I'll give them a treatment. ☺