Daniel Benefield

Can coarse grained honey be made fine grain?

As the tittle suggests I have a small batch (20kg buckets) of multiflora that has partially crystallised with quite coarse grains. Is there any way to treat it so that it can be made fine?

I.e. warming then creaming as per normal or forcing it through a strainer..

TIA

Edited by dansar
Corrected spelling of course in title and first post to coarse

Yes.  Heat to 46 Deg C for 24 hours, stir thoroughly, then keep at 46 for another 24 hours. (this will melt all the crystals)

Let stand for 24 hours to room temp then mix in 10% of a nice fine grained honey (that you probably need to purchase) (I use Arataki creamed clover honey).

Jar up and then leave until it creams.  Keep a 2 lt Ice Cream container of this brew as your next lot of starter. 

This works for me.

• Agree 1
  • Good Info 2

54 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yes.  Heat to 46 Deg C for 24 hours, stir thoroughly, then keep at 46 for another 24 hours. (this will melt all the crystals)

Let stand for 24 hours to room temp then mix in 10% of a nice fine grained honey (that you probably need to purchase) (I use Arataki creamed clover honey).

Jar up and then leave until it creams.  Keep a 2 lt Ice Cream container of this brew as your next lot of starter. 

This works for me.

Thank you. Do you use the light bulb in a box/fridge set up to warm it or by other means?

Yep.  Exactly.

There is a thread on here somewhere with my set up.  Several years ago now.

1 minute ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Yep.  Exactly.

There is a thread on here somewhere with my set up.  Several years ago now.

Thanks again. Will hunt out the thread and school up.

Here is the thread

Mine is the 7th post on Page number 1

I have since upgrade the thermostat to an electronic one and added a fan to come on with the light.

39 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Here is the thread

Mine is the 7th post on Page number 1

I have since upgrade the thermostat to an electronic one and added a fan to come on with the light.

Cheers, have just ordered a thermostat, now to find an old fridge...

I wham mine in the microwave. A minute at a time until it feels about right. I only liquify it, a jar at a time as needed.

Edited by yesbut

3 minutes ago, yesbut said:

I wham mine in the microwave. A minute at a time until it feels about right. I only liquify it, a jar at a time as needed.

My microwave will not handle a 20 lt bucket.  Can you recommend a descent commercial sized grade microwave please

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

My microwave will not handle a 20 lt bucket.  Can you recommend a descent commercial sized grade microwave please

Yes, sort of, I think some people use converted frigs on a different wavelength. I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, yesbut said:

converted frigs on a

I am sure a converted FRIDGE would work a lot better

• Haha 1

On 19/11/2017 at 9:05 PM, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I am sure a converted FRIDGE would work a lot better

Only if you're not planning on having a family :ph34r:

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Rob Stockley said:

Only if you're not planning on having a family :ph34r:

Why should that influence what I do in the honey shed.

43 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I think Rob is suggesting it may cook swimmers, or other vital reproductive parts 

Edited by Daley
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

The suggestion was to convert a fridge into a microwave oven to accommodate your 20l pail of honey. @Daley got it

Just now, Rob Stockley said:

The suggestion was to convert a fridge into a microwave oven to accommodate your 20l pail of honey. @Daley got it

Ok.  I am not awake yet.  Is that possible??  Sounds like a plan.  It could be faster than my 75w light bulb.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

Ok.  I am not awake yet.  Is that possible??  Sounds like a plan.  It could be faster than my 75w light bulb.

Yep you could convert a fridge into a microwave if you were clever but it probably wouldn’t be very safe.

You can get large commercial microwaves but they’re ridiculously expensive and I don’t think any would quite fit a 20ltr bucket

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Daley said:

Yep you could convert a fridge into a microwave if you were clever but it probably wouldn’t be very safe.

You can get large commercial microwaves but they’re ridiculously expensive and I don’t think any would quite fit a 20ltr bucket

Yeah. I pretty much thought that. But you never know without asking. Look at some of the ideas that have come up on the forum. 

My old fridge warmer will suit me for a lot of years

• Like 2

On 11/19/2017 at 8:20 PM, yesbut said:

Yes, sort of, I think some people use converted frigs on a different wavelength. I'm sure there's a thread here somewhere

Just goes to show how wars start doesn't it. I was actually referring to a frig with a light bulb. A different frequency to microwave. :784_peace:

2 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

I use the defrost element and a fan rather than a lightbulb. Works well on a pulsed duty cycle. 

• Thanks 1

I would recommend jarring your honey while it’s still liquid, makes things a lot easier

1 hour ago, Rob Stockley said:

I use the defrost element and a fan rather than a lightbulb. Works well on a pulsed duty cycle. 

Yes.  I saw that unit under development in HB remember.

My old fridge is a Metal case on the inside and it fits a 20 lt bucket nicely.  It is a lot easier to do what I did than play with the refrigeration cycles when I don't have the sparky knowledge,

8 hours ago, Trevor Gillbanks said:

My old fridge is a Metal case on the inside and it fits a 20 lt bucket nicely

sounds like a contender for a vid topic @Trevor Gillbanks

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1