john berry

Nuisance hive

4 hours ago, john berry said:

This afternoon I had a call about a hive placed 1 m from a neighbours fence. The hive is in a residential area. I don't have any power to deal with this although I did check to see if it was registered and it was so I asked them to let the owner know that there was a problem. I also contacted the local environment officer who hopefully will look into the problem. I have no problem at all with people keeping hives in town but keep them next to your house not your neighbours who may not love them as much as you do. I would prefer the beekeeper doesn't have too move their hive but I would also prefer if they positioned it somewhere sensible so I didn't have too try and deal with this sort of problem. Mind you it might be the neighbour that's the problem , it's always very hard to tell who is at fault just from a phone call.

Mine are hard up against the fence, but in places that are as far away from the neighbors houses as possible.

I’ve got one neighbor who is just a moaner, she’s got nothing better to do and just try’s to burst everyone else’s bubble.

I got a letter in the mail a while back because one of my other neighbors was wanting to set up a kindergarten in the area, I didn’t see an issue with it so I consented, I think having something like that in an area is never a bad thing.

Well, this moaner went around all the neighbors and tried to talk them out of their consent, she even tried to tell me if there was a kindy there I’d have to move my bees, I just laughed at her as I told her there’s no way I could say no to the 15 jobs this kindy would create, she was the only one who objected in the area and the kindy couldn’t get resource consent.

Apparently she was concerned about her peace and quiet, considering her yappy little dog barks 24/7 I couldn’t understand her angle.

Fortunately my bees choose to swarm into the nice neighbors yards either side of her, they think it’s a bit of fun, I always ply them with about 10kg of honey to assuage my guilt.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've got six hives on a rural / urban fringe site and Auckland Council contacted me because they were a "nuisance".  When I asked why I was told that the people about 50m away had flower gardens and there were just too many bees in there.  I kid you not.  I ended up moving them about 30m further away and putting up some netting to change their flight path, all a complete waste of time but part of the pr exercise....

And then there are people who have a fit about bee poo on their cars.  Should we ban birds because they poo on cars too?  Could they put up some netting or something then if they don't want my bees to pollinate their fruit trees for free?  Are they just happy to take the benefits but leap on any negatives?  I guess so.  In fairness bee poo can be an issue but if it was me I'd just clean it off and that would be the path of least resistance rather than complaining about it.   Sad.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, CraBee said:

I've got six hives on a rural / urban fringe site and Auckland Council contacted me because they were a "nuisance".  When I asked why I was told that the people about 50m away had flower gardens and there were just too many bees in there.  I kid you not.  I ended up moving them about 30m further away and putting up some netting to change their flight path, all a complete waste of time but part of the pr exercise....

And then there are people who have a fit about bee poo on their cars.  Should we ban birds because they poo on cars too?  Could they put up some netting or something then if they don't want my bees to pollinate their fruit trees for free?  Are they just happy to take the benefits but leap on any negatives?  I guess so.  In fairness bee poo can be an issue but if it was me I'd just clean it off and that would be the path of least resistance rather than complaining about it.   Sad.  

I had trouble deciding what reaction to give this post.

Agree! Like, and funny.

Some people are so daft.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 3

I am a flower gardener and if bees freaked me out my garden would be full of weeds.

Also flowers do not last once they are pollinated.

There is lots of publicity about flowers for bees but for nervous people there should be lists of flowers that bees ignore.

It would make life easier for both the urban beek and the neighbour uncomfortable around bees .

32 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

I am a flower gardener and if bees freaked me out my garden would be full of weeds.

Also flowers do not last once they are pollinated.

There is lots of publicity about flowers for bees but for nervous people there should be lists of flowers that bees ignore.

It would make life easier for both the urban beek and the neighbour uncomfortable around bees .

That's an interesting angle. I wonder how the council environmental officer would deal with it. If a neighbour is concerned about bees visiting their property they could be asked to remove all bee friendly plants. Afterall, moving hives will not solve the issue they are complaining of. 

• Agree 4

2 minutes ago, Rob Stockley said:

That's an interesting angle. I wonder how the council environmental officer would deal with it. If a neighbour is concerned about bees visiting their property they could be asked to remove all bee friendly plants. Afterall, moving hives will not solve the issue they are complaining of. 

OMG could you imagine the media storm it would create if people were asked to remove their bee friendly plants.:8_laughing:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, kaihoka said:

OMG could you imagine the media storm it would create if people were asked to remove their bee friendly plants.:8_laughing:

I agree. But if they are aggrieved about bees visiting their property wouldn't that be a reasonable request?

• Agree 2

@Daley I think you read my post out of context. I'm with you on the, "get a life!" side of the fence. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob Stockley said:

I agree. But if they are aggrieved about bees visiting their property wouldn't that be a reasonable request?

Yes

I have well over 100 rental hives around Christchurch and I have  come acrosss heaps of interesting situations with my  hives and the people who rent them.  I have had sites where you just can’t place a hive into....its not fair on the neighbours as is mentioned above.  Some neighbours love the pollination and most are very forgiving if they swarm.      I have had to remove hives because the house owner didn’t like seeing dead bees in front of the hive...even though I explained the natural process to her.  Had to remove  and also relocate a couple because of bee poo issues.  

Stupid dogs can be an issue...I have had a couple have  anaphylactic issues.    Cats are pretty cool and chickens.

Main challenge is people’s expectations !!    Hives in the shade just don’t do well...

5 hours ago, deejaycee said:

It's exactly what we did to our backyard after Emma was diagnosed as allergic at 2yo.   Sprayed out all clover and flowering lawn weeds, and took out any flowering plants.   Meant she could have free access to the backyard like any other kid.

Now that she's 7, being desensitised and old enough to handle being around bees better, the garden is making a comeback.

It's called personal responsibility.   More people should try it.

We're there some flowers that did not attract bees that you kept in the garden .

no, didn't really look for any.   Given dogs, rabbits, kids, etc the backyard has been a much more 'functional' than decorative space  until now.

I did, however, keep my succulent collection along the driveway, all of which flower, and bees do rather like, but they don't go stupid over them.   If they did get too active, the succulents tend to flower in large heads of flowers, so it's easy to snap off a head and problem solved (as opposed to plants covered in lots of individual flowers like our jasmine vine that was removed).

wouldn't be difficult to find foliage based planting guides that give good decorative options that don't involve flowers.

1 hour ago, deejaycee said:

no, didn't really look for any.   Given dogs, rabbits, kids, etc the backyard has been a much more 'functional' than decorative space  until now.

I did, however, keep my succulent collection along the driveway, all of which flower, and bees do rather like, but they don't go stupid over them.   If they did get too active, the succulents tend to flower in large heads of flowers, so it's easy to snap off a head and problem solved (as opposed to plants covered in lots of individual flowers like our jasmine vine that was removed).

wouldn't be difficult to find foliage based planting guides that give good decorative options that don't involve flowers.

There are quite a few flowers the bees ignore , I grow lots of flowers and I have noticed that some they have no interest in.

I am growing San Pedro cactus for the honey.

My  beek friend down the road has lots . It flowers when rata does and makes a nice blend and stops rata setting hard .

Rata ends up looking  like kremelta. 

Edited by kaihoka
  • Like 1