Parminder

Manuka site rate in taranaki

Hi

any idea what price is going in taranaki for  manuka Honey site per hive?

thanks

Edited by Parminder
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Parminder said:

Hi

any idea what price is going in taranaki for  manuka Honey site per hive?

thanks

Good luck with that.

There are so many factors to consider there is no way you could get an answer that was anywhere near accurate.

6 minutes ago, Daley said:

Good luck with that.

There are so many factors to consider there is no way you could get an answer that was anywhere near accurate.

Any idea with umf 5-7 ??

32 minutes ago, Parminder said:

Any idea with umf 5-7 ??

Is that before or after extraction? The bees ate loads of Manuka last season.

Why not talk to your landowners and come up with a profit sharing agreement. If the bees do well you both win big. If the bees eat all the Manuka then no one has to sell the farm. 

Flat rate per site makes no sense to me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Parminder said:

Any idea with umf 5-7 ??

Ring some honey buyers and ask what they’re paying for umf 5 Manuka.

• Like 1

UMF 5 ..... roundabout $20-21/kg .   Would'nt pay more than $50/hive .... although lotsa people want that plus a percntage .....!! I'd be offering a flat 20% of the crop if you are desperate for a site. No point in shooting yourself in the foot.

I was talking to a man yesterday who wanted $50/hive for clover sites ...... Smile and walkaway.

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 2

why not 50-50 revenue-share on any honey income after the first $300 per hive? that way, if you get nil honey then you don't have a hive-site bill, if you get a massive crop you're both laughing, and if you get a mediocre crop then you might at least cover your costs

17 minutes ago, tommy dave said:

why not 50-50 revenue-share on any honey income after the first $300 per hive? that way, if you get nil honey then you don't have a hive-site bill, if you get a massive crop you're both laughing, and if you get a mediocre crop then you might at least cover your costs

It does seem fairer, but there is less trust involved in a flat rate per hive - anyone can count boxes but as a land owner you have to trust that the beekeeper won’t short you with a per-kg arrangement.

• Like 1

And there in lies the issue.  The landowner sees dollar signs and needs enlightening that honey is not a one year wonder get rich quick scheme, as do some the Beekeepers.

I know of sites that change beekeepers every year, and one has to wonder .... someone is pulling someones .... 

• Agree 3

44 minutes ago, jamesc said:

And there in lies the issue.  The landowner sees dollar signs and needs enlightening that honey is not a one year wonder get rich quick scheme, as do some the Beekeepers.

I know of sites that change beekeepers every year, and one has to wonder .... someone is pulling someones .... 

i hear of once case where the land owner thought the out going beek was "useless". i do know hes fairly decent beek. the new guys going in are beginners.

go figure.

• Agree 1

Haha .... we got thrown out of one site ....Merke's gonna like this one .... the landowner got grumpy with the 16k honey  cheque for 48 hives.  Got a fellahin from Gisborne  the next year !! 

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, jamesc said:

Haha .... we got thrown out of one site ....Merke's gonna like this one .... the landowner got grumpy with the 16k honey  cheque for 48 hives.  Got a fellahin from Gisborne  the next year !! 

Wow. Thats a pretty easy 16k for the landowner and a painful payout for the beek. Were there problems unrelated to the money? I just can’t imagine being unhappy with that payment.

• Agree 1

No ... it seemed that money was the problem :17_heart_eyes:

1 minute ago, jamesc said:

No ... it seemed that money was the problem :17_heart_eyes:

At $330 per hive, I cannot see how they could have a problem.  Some people are just hard to please

• Agree 1

Uh Huh .... 35% of the crop ..... thats not bad money, but then we made a bit of coin too. On the other side of that coin   we had 17 hives "borrowed" from that yard the following winter .... I think we broke even ! I guess it's always about the risk and reward.

Edited by jamesc
  • Haha 1

Trevor ..... it's no laughing matter:IMG_0381:

Just now, jamesc said:

Trevor ..... it's no laughing matter:IMG_0381:

I understand.  It is the whole concept and your phrase of "Borrowed".

Maybe it is just my sick sense of humour.  Why do we laugh we we see someone get hurt.  Is it just me or the ex military thing.

It's probably your sick sense of humour :P. I looked upon it as collateral damage .... we just kept sending troops to the frontline knowing some were'nt going to make it home. Them's the stakes at the high rollers table , IMHO.

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1