Alex

Stolen hives

Hi, last night 45 nucs that I had at an orchard in Brown Rd Te Puke were stolen from me. This is a very bad thing as this is my first year as a full time beekeeper and I needed for everything to go according to the plan. They were in white corflute boxes. If anyone hears about something I'll appreciate the help. It's sad to think that other beekeepers who know how hard it is sometimes decide to do something like this. Cheers and thank you.

• Sad 13

That sucks,  sorry to hear. Hope you find them

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

That's stink

• Thanks 1

@Alex keep an eye on trademe. Are you in the habit of writing on hive lids? Any identifying marks we should look out for? 

• Like 1

Have you reported this to Police?  Sadly its at the point where with that quantity of easily transportable boxes you need tracking equipment on them/cameras etc to watch over your investment. :-(  

• Like 1

It's been reported to the police and they were marked but it would be easy for them to put them in wooden boxes and chuck away the plastic ones. On the same place I had 2 wooden boxes and they didn't take them. Next year I'll have to consider an insurance to provide pollination at the same orchard because it's not safe

That really sux. I hope the police are able to help. 

• Agree 1

Close to the Expressway, check with Them to see if any movement was noticed last night. Might be the route used for direct escape. I lost 54 hives last season and the police weren't helpful neither were the local beekeepers Assc. Almost have to sluthe the culprits on your own sad to say. 

• Sad 1

On 11/11/2017 at 10:19 AM, CHCHPaul said:

That really sux. I hope the police are able to help. 

Hmmm its very hard to get the hives back especially you have no idea wheres your hives now i dont think so police will help straight away. Our hives been stolen and we know who got them and we even know where are they still not allowed to return ours.Investigatio  very slow or maybe they believe the theft.

• Sad 3

8 hours ago, Beemine said:

Hmmm its very hard to get the hives back especially you have no idea wheres your hives now i dont think so police will help straight away. Our hives been stolen and we know who got them and we even know where are they still not allowed to return ours.Investigatio  very slow or maybe they believe the theft.

What would happen if you called the police and said you were collecting your stolen property, expected trouble and were giving a heads up? 

• Agree 1

On 23/11/2017 at 9:23 PM, cBank said:

What would happen if you called the police and said you were collecting your stolen property, expected trouble and were giving a heads up? 

As for our experiencing we didnt get hives back since we know it was stolen.

18 minutes ago, Beemine said:

As for our experiencing we didnt get hives back since we know it was stolen.

If it were me and they were my hives and I was certain of that I would just go and get them.  

• Agree 3

I probably recounted the tale of hives we lost, but I'll tell it again as it always makes me chuckle. Thirty something hives stolen, and found a few months later in the bush above Springs Junction. We went over to retrieve them and called the local cop to witness the deed. A few weeks later the Beeman went to check his hives at Springs Junction .... only some lowlife had lifted them. He went down to Reefton to report the theft and was asked for his name and address.

He was then informed that he was being arrested for the theft of beehives, and that anything he said could be used in evidence against him ..... 

Edited by jamesc
  • Like 4
  • Good Info 1
  • Haha 7

So sorry to hear this Alex. Stealing a guys livelihood is about as lowlife as it gets.

• Like 2

On 26/11/2017 at 2:53 PM, CraBee said:

If it were me and they were my hives and I was certain of that I would just go and get them.  

We should do that its unfair were not allowed to get the remaining maybe theyre gone now.Law is very unfair