Pablo

Oxalic Acid Dispenser/Applicator

There are several formic acid dispensers in the market, but they don't seem to be very popular. There may be several reasons for that, including that beekeepers are not to keen to be playing with formic acid and release of formic acid varies with weather.  

What I haven't seen in the market is oxalic acid dispensers that allow for a long-term applicaton of oxalic acid over a period of 4-6 weeks (not talking about the one-off vaporisers where one needs to come back weekly unless the hive is going through broodless period). Would a long-term treatment of oxalic acid delivered with a dispenser/applicator work for beekeepers? Any feedback would be appreciated.

16 hours ago, Pablo said:

There are several formic acid dispensers in the market, but they don't seem to be very popular. There may be several reasons for that, including that beekeepers are not to keen to be playing with formic acid and release of formic acid varies with weather.  

What I haven't seen in the market is oxalic acid dispensers that allow for a long-term applicaton of oxalic acid over a period of 4-6 weeks (not talking about the one-off vaporisers where one needs to come back weekly unless the hive is going through broodless period). Would a long-term treatment of oxalic acid delivered with a dispenser/applicator work for beekeepers? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thats probably because Formic is water soluble and therefore easy to manipulate

Oxalic Acid is different.

as we only use oxalic and formic (and sometimes lactic) acid for varroa treatment (bayvarol and amiatraz arent often used around here because of their reputation for giving residues in the honey) i might give some insights:

for formic acid we mainly use 4 types of dispensers: 

- the nassenheider (it is also available in new zealand)

- the "liebig dispenser" which is basically just a flipped dropper bottle (is that the correct word?) over a wick

- and many older beekeepers just put a couple of ml of formic acid onto a sponge cloth

- and yes we also have the maqs available here

regarding oxalic acid i know of 4 possible applications:

- dribble

- spray

- vaporize (the best of the 3, didnt use anything else so far this year... lots of work but it gets the mites killed regardless of the weather)

new:

- put in paper towels soaked in oxalic acid (and glycerine) and let the bees walk on it/chew away on it and thus spread the oxalic acid all over the hive

i knew of a guy (he sadly passed away) who did experiments with the paper towels and it seemed to perform like multiple vapour treatments - just a lot less work involved.

23 hours ago, Christi An said:

put in paper towels soaked in oxalic acid (and glycerine) and let the bees walk on it/chew away on it and thus spread the oxalic acid all over the hive

i knew of a guy (he sadly passed away) who did experiments with the paper towels and it seemed to perform like multiple vapour treatments - just a lot less work involved.

There is a lot of info on the forum about this method and I think NZ is a reasonable way toward getting it sorted

• Agree 1

right! youre quite ahead of germany regarding that one! which is good! Here the beekeepers still think the bees will die from 2 vapour treatments...

looking forward to it!

• Haha 1

Thanks for the comments. Yes, there is the oxalic acid + glycerine long term treatment. There is a commercial formulation being manufactured in Argentina called Aluen CAP and also people experimenting with home-made recipes.

Regarding the dispensers for formic acid such as the Nassenhaider and the Liebig, as far as I know they are not popular in New Zealand. Perhaps the reason is simply that we have flumethrin/fluvalinate + amitraz available so why bother manipulating formic acid and having to add a rim to every hive to place the dispenser. In addition, you have to store them when not using them.